Installation problem with the writable directories!!

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
bocizelj
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Installation problem with the writable directories!!

Postby bocizelj » 02 Oct 2012, 23:13

Hi!

I tried to install Tiny Tiny RSS on my VPS host. But unfortunately I have a problem with this error. Based on error report I should make some directories writable (777) which I did, and still I get this error message no matter what I do.

HTMLPurifier cache directory should be writable by anyone (chmod -R 777 /monitor/cache/htmlpurifier)
Image cache is not writable (chmod -R 777 /monitor/cache/images)
Data export cache is not writable (chmod -R 777 /monitor/cache/export)
ICONS_DIR defined in config.php is not writable (chmod -R 777 /monitor/feed-icons).
LOCK_DIRECTORY defined in config.php is not writable (chmod -R 777 /monitor/lock).

Is this some kind of bug? Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank you!

paddlaren
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Installation problem with the writable directories!!

Postby paddlaren » 21 Oct 2012, 14:22

It is easy to change persmissions:

As root or file owner you can run:

Code: Select all

chmod -R ugo+wr  /monitor/cache/

You should never use the numberings (777) in chmod as you will in this case make everything executable. Using 666 (read write) will not work either as this will remove execution flag for directories and make them useless. It is also easy to make the entire installation useless in a glance. The form ugo+wr does only make changes to the (w)rite and (r)ead flagg for (u)sers, (g)roup, and (o)thers and leaves the e(x)ecutable flag untouched.

Easiest way to make chmod work is to be root but it will work it you are loged in as the file owner, probably http in this case. Http will normally not allow logins to try root. Sudo will work as well

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R ugo+wr  /monitor/cache/

BR
Erik

Return to “Support”