After upgrade from 1.6.2 to 1.7.0 feeds double

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only

padde
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: After upgrade from 1.6.2 to 1.7.0 feeds double

Postby padde » 18 Feb 2013, 06:00

Thanks for the pointer - I think it's more clear to say "articles double", since it's the articles that show up twice after the magpie -> simplepie switch - the number of feeds stays the same.

Andrew's comment from the report is
Yes, you will experience dupes for the content still existing in the originating feed when updating, because simplepie generates article IDs differently. Unfortunately there's nothing to be done about that, just mark stuff as read and it would go normal from then on.

Sure, we can assume that the contents of TT-RSS are transient, since "news" are generally transient, and therefore we don't need to really care what's old... but it just looks very messy.

But of course it's easier to complain than to actually code a solution, so I shut up now... maybe just a general remark into Andrew's direction (maybe you can consider it for future such updates): Some people care about the contents of their TT-RSS, and feel disturbed if stuff suddenly shows up twice, once read and once unread, and they will feel unhappy because of it. Sure, it's not a big deal for most, but nevertheless I think it would be worth investing a few minutes to make such transitions smoother in the future.

Anyway, thanks for the update, and for removing cruft (magpie)! I've already submitted 1.7.0 to Gentoo.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: After upgrade from 1.6.2 to 1.7.0 feeds double

Postby fox » 18 Feb 2013, 09:24

There are two things in play here, actually. I forgot about the second one when commenting on #534.

1) Magpie being removed because well it's obvious why isn't it.
2) Articles are not being deduplicated in ttrss_entries, separate copies are now stored for each user (which is what the commit in the first post references).

Second one has been a long time coming, deduplication like that can lead to weird issues when article GUIDs are identical but the actual data is different screwing it up for multiple users (one of the examples is publish with note -> export as rss -> another user on the same instance subscribes to the exported feed which leads to an amusing article content mangling with another note on each update). There were other issues with this, so I decided to just keep everything separate.

Sure, we can assume that the contents of TT-RSS are transient, since "news" are generally transient, and therefore we don't need to really care what's old... but it just looks very messy.

That's the idea. I'm sorry for people whose perfect zen garden of articles this update ruffled somewhat, but I'm not designing for OCD.

I mean it's not like each and every article in the DB got duplicated, only the data which was still in the actual feed and got imported again.

Return to “Support”