Got it running on Raspberry Pi 512MB

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
tudza
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Got it running on Raspberry Pi 512MB

Postby tudza » 17 Mar 2013, 13:23

I've got Tiny Tiny RSS running on my Raspberry Pi after a couple hours work. The next install will go much more quickly I imagine now that I've worked things out.

I say next install because the little machine is working really hard and is just barely acceptable. I'll be moving to a regular PC to run this when I've got one freed up.

IAmARaspberryPi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Got it running on Raspberry Pi 512MB

Postby IAmARaspberryPi » 29 Nov 2013, 01:51

To those who have been running a Raspberry Pi on the newest TT-RSS version, how are the speeds? I am considering purchasing a Rpi solely for TT-RSS.

tudza
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tudza » 29 Nov 2013, 02:27

I have one of the older Raspberry Pi boards as well. I wonder if it would speed things up if one ran the database and the other ran the http server?

zeiram
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby zeiram » 29 Nov 2013, 10:12

I find it runs with perfectly acceptable speed. From time to time, it takes a little more time to display the next batch but nothing unbearable (between 10 and 20 seconds when it happens).

Three words of advice:
- buy a fast SD card, class 10 or U1 (I first had a class 4 card, and most of the time the process writing data to the card was hogging the RPi)
- run your tt-rss with PostgreSQL (MySQL will kill the performance of your RPi)
- avoid Apache, prefer Nginx or Lighttpd (but this should be obvious)

For info. I have more than 400 feeds in my tt-rss installation (updated hourly), and my RPi is also used as networked music player. On average, the load average is between 1.10 and 1.20 (meaning the CPU never gets any rest, but it's still usable).

IAmARaspberryPi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby IAmARaspberryPi » 29 Nov 2013, 10:16

zeiram wrote:I find it runs with perfectly acceptable speed. From time to time, it takes a little more time to display the next batch but nothing unbearable (between 10 and 20 seconds when it happens).

Three words of advice:
- buy a fast SD card, class 10 or U1 (I first had a class 4 card, and most of the time the process writing data to the card was hogging the RPi)
- run your tt-rss with PostgreSQL (MySQL will kill the performance of your RPi)
- avoid Apache, prefer Nginx or Lighttpd (but this should be obvious)

For info. I have more than 400 feeds in my tt-rss installation (updated hourly), and my RPi is also used as networked music player. On average, the load average is between 1.10 and 1.20 (meaning the CPU never gets any rest, but it's still usable).

You're my hero :) thanks!

Now the challenge will be how to migrate my entire setup from my shared hosting account to RPi...I don't think this will be fun.

hrk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby hrk » 29 Nov 2013, 15:55

Huh...
* Dump your MySQL database and restore it somewhere you have real access to (e.g.: your pc)
* Setup PostgreSQL on your RPi allowing external connections and create the ttrss database and run the initial scripts.
* Get this (https://github.com/hrk/tt-rss-mysql2pgsql), edit the properties file to suit your setup (ip address, port, usernames and such) and run it.
* ???
* Profit w/ your migrated database.

e: list fail.

IAmARaspberryPi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby IAmARaspberryPi » 29 Nov 2013, 19:12

Haha I can hope it's that easy :3

Thanks for creating your script!

Return to “Support”