How to load more older items in a feed?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
Pad
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

How to load more older items in a feed?

Postby Pad » 17 Mar 2013, 13:28

Hello,

First of all, congratulations for this amazing feed reader, it's the perfect Google Reader replacement, thank you for your amazing work!

But there are a few simple details that I would like to change: this reader doesn't load all the old feeds. In Google Reader, if I continue to scroll down on a certain feed, the older entries start to load indefinitely, but on TT-RSS it stops at a certain date or at a certain number, I'm not sure. For example, in the Android Police feed, it stops displaying more feeds before March 15th: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338960/ttrss/1.png or in the xkcd feed it stops at March 8th: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/338960/ttrss/2.png

Is there a way to enable the continuous load of older feeds like in Google Reader? I already tried to change the preferences 'Maximum age of fresh articles (in hours)', 'Amount of articles to display at once' and 'Purge unread articles' but nothing changes this behavior.

kashub
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: How to load more older items in a feed?

Postby kashub » 17 Mar 2013, 14:14

Google Reader also can't do that, because there is no more items on the feed. If you had it from some time in google reader it could fetch older items, but from now you can only take newest items, which are currently in rss feed. it does not depend on the reader, but on the side of the rss.

Pad
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Pad » 17 Mar 2013, 14:27

kashub wrote:Google Reader also can't do that, because there is no more items on the feed. If you had it from some time in google reader it could fetch older items, but from now you can only take newest items, which are currently in rss feed. it does not depend on the reader, but on the side of the rss.

I see that you are right. Thank you for your reply.

So if I set the purge option to 0 (disabled) all older feeds in the database will never be purged, am I right?

foonex
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby foonex » 17 Mar 2013, 14:37

kashub wrote:Google Reader also can't do that, because there is no more items on the feed. If you had it from some time in google reader it could fetch older items, but from now you can only take newest items, which are currently in rss feed. it does not depend on the reader, but on the side of the rss.

That's not quite correct. Google Reader actually can go back further than the current rss feed. At least ist can do that for xkcd and other feeds which at least 1 person has subscribed to before. The difference of course is that Google Reader has/had many users and it started in 2005.

Pad
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Pad » 17 Mar 2013, 15:10

foonex wrote:

That's not quite correct. Google Reader actually can go back further than the current rss feed. At least ist can do that for xkcd and other feeds which at least 1 person has subscribed to before. The difference of course is that Google Reader has/had many users and it started in 2005.

I think what he meant is that Google Reader can only do that because the older feeds are cached in their servers, not because the RSS itself provide older feeds.

rmtew
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby rmtew » 17 Mar 2013, 23:19

You can do this yourself, Google make it publically available via their feed API.

It should be possible to have a setting where the update process populates the backlog of historical blog items over time, using this API. But Google's API terms and conditions are that if a tool allows a user to fetch this data, they are not allowed to cache it for longer than the standard amount of time unless you have the explicit permission of the website owner. This, I imagine, is not what you want - which is to have the entries cached indefinitely as a resource.

Joschasa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Joschasa » 18 Mar 2013, 14:07

Pad wrote:So if I set the purge option to 0 (disabled) all older feeds in the database will never be purged, am I right?

Yes, should work that way. But that is not recommended to do, since it will slow down tt-rss over time.

Return to “Support”