Scrolling article with cursor keys

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
Rinaldus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Scrolling article with cursor keys

Postby Rinaldus » 19 Mar 2013, 16:12

I don't like to use so strange hotkeys (N and P) to scroll article. I want to scroll with traditional cursor keys. Is possible to switch off tt-rss default hotkeys and scroll articles by system default keys (i.e cursor keys)?

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Scrolling article with cursor keys

Postby phz » 19 Mar 2013, 16:55

I made a plugin with the following contents:

Code: Select all

<?php
class MyKeys extends Plugin {

private $link;
   private $host;

function about() {
      return array(1.0,
         "Personal keyboard configuration",
         "phz");
   }

function init($host) {
      $this->link = $host->get_link();
      $this->host = $host;

$host->add_hook($host::HOOK_HOTKEY_MAP, $this);
   }

function hook_hotkey_map($hotkeys) {
      $hotkeys['(13)|enter']   = 'open_in_new_window';
      $hotkeys['(37)|left']    = 'prev_article_noscroll';
      $hotkeys['(38)|up']      = 'article_scroll_up';
      $hotkeys['(39)|right']   = 'next_article_noscroll';
      $hotkeys['(40)|down']    = 'article_scroll_down';
      $hotkeys['*(38)|s-up']   = 'prev_feed';
      $hotkeys['*(40)|s-down'] = 'next_feed';

return $hotkeys;
   }
}
?>

It's quite self-explanatory, but more explicitly:
  • Enter opens the current item in a new tab
  • → goes to the next item
  • ← goes to the previous item
  • ↑ scrolls upwards among items
  • ↓ scrolls downwards among items
  • Shift+↑ goes to the previous entry in the feed list
  • Shift+↓ goes to the next entry in the feed list
Note that the Shift-combinations won't work until you run a version with https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... 022fd5c0f3 applied (next TT-RSS release should have this).

Create a file with the above contents (or modify to your liking), name it `init.php`, put it in `your_tt-rss_folder/plugins/mykeys/`, go to TT-RSS preferences and enable it.

(If someone knows how to create a hotkey to open an article in a background tab they are very welcome to share, but I am aware of that it in general is a browser issue and not a limitation of or in the scope of TT-RSS.)

Rinaldus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Rinaldus » 19 Mar 2013, 17:20

Super! Thank you very much! This is what I wanted! Author have to include this plugin into standart set of plugins that ship with distribution.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 19 Mar 2013, 18:04

I too do think that adding 25 plugins named "bob's fav hotkeys" would be an excellent idea for trunk.

cjbnc
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby cjbnc » 19 Mar 2013, 19:10

Rather than try to have everyone's favorite hotkey settings added to the code as an infinite list of new plugins, it seemed like a good idea to provide one stub plugin that anyone could easily customize to fit their own site.

Plugin code here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1382&p=6178
I've added this keymap as another example.

laurion
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby laurion » 27 Mar 2013, 20:36

phz wrote:
(If someone knows how to create a hotkey to open an article in a background tab they are very welcome to share, but I am aware of that it in general is a browser issue and not a limitation of or in the scope of TT-RSS.)

There is a way to do it. I scarfed this from a userscript that did this for GReader, because I too have an intense burning need to open things in the background as I go. I modified the viewfeed.js file in the /js folder, but if anyone can figure out a good way to make a plugin out of it, I'd be very grateful so I don't have to redo this with every update. Anyhow, open up the viewfeed.js file and go to the openArticleInNewWindow function. Change the line there to instead call a new function, which you can add in to the file as well. Here's what I now have:

function openArticleInNewWindow(id) {
        toggleUnread(id, 0, false);
        //window.open("backend.php?op=article&method=redirect&id=" + id);
        openNewBackgroundTab("backend.php?op=article&method=redirect&id=" + id);
}

function openNewBackgroundTab(url){
    var a = document.createElement("a");
    a.href = url;
    var evt = document.createEvent("MouseEvents");
    evt.initMouseEvent("click", true, true, window, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, true, false, false, true, 0, null);
    a.dispatchEvent(evt);
}

I want it to always open in background tabs, but if you don't want to, you don't have to modify openArticleInNewWindow, you can call the new function directly with a different keyboard shortcut. It works by simulating a ctrl-click on the link.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 27 Mar 2013, 23:25

laurion wrote:
phz wrote:

There is a way to do it. I scarfed this from a userscript that did this for GReader, because I too have an intense burning need to open things in the background as I go. I modified the viewfeed.js file in the /js folder, but if anyone can figure out a good way to make a plugin out of it, I'd be very grateful so I don't have to redo this with every update. Anyhow, open up the viewfeed.js file and go to the openArticleInNewWindow function. Change the line there to instead call a new function, which you can add in to the file as well. Here's what I now have:

function openArticleInNewWindow(id) {
        toggleUnread(id, 0, false);
        //window.open("backend.php?op=article&method=redirect&id=" + id);
        openNewBackgroundTab("backend.php?op=article&method=redirect&id=" + id);
}

function openNewBackgroundTab(url){
    var a = document.createElement("a");
    a.href = url;
    var evt = document.createEvent("MouseEvents");
    evt.initMouseEvent("click", true, true, window, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, true, false, false, true, 0, null);
    a.dispatchEvent(evt);
}

I want it to always open in background tabs, but if you don't want to, you don't have to modify openArticleInNewWindow, you can call the new function directly with a different keyboard shortcut. It works by simulating a ctrl-click on the link.

Yeah, I saw that snippet concerning simulating clicks on StackOverflow when I was writing the keyboard shortcuts above. The overwhelming hack factor made and makes me a bit wary :-) . In case it is actually robust in practice I might reevalute, though. Open in background is a lot more natural for my usage of RSS readers at least. Skim through the posts, the ones worth reading goes to background, continue through the list. When done: start reading in depth.

Because of this (and no, Google Reader did not have this functionality either, so no implementation complaints here :-) ) I've become quite skilled at the "Enter Ctrl+Shift+Tab" combo, though, so it's not a deal breaker in any way. I'll see if I'll experiment with the click simulation on a rainy day.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 02 Apr 2013, 19:21

laurion wrote:…if anyone can figure out a good way to make a plugin out of it, I'd be very grateful so I don't have to redo this with every update.

phz wrote:In case it is actually robust in practice I might reevalute, though.

I've been running this for a little while, and it seems alright, but it only works in Chrome/Opera. I threw some pull requests at Fox to be able to create plugins like these in the project, and under his watchful eye they got added.

You can find a thread in the plugin forum or go directly to GitHub. Note that it requires current trunk, or waiting for 1.7.6 which is supposed to be released in two days.

Return to “Support”