possible to display images for only some feeds?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
bmckenna
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

possible to display images for only some feeds?

Postby bmckenna » 19 Mar 2013, 21:45

Hello,

Just switched from google reader over to tt-rss and really enjoying it so far. Seems to provide a lot of functionality that a lot of the other suggested "replacements" didn't even come close with.

I have a question about the way images are displayed in various feeds. I follow one feed from an online newspaper that displays the images attached to the article full-size, which is not ideal for viewing. If I set the global "hide images in articles" in preferences to yes, they go away, but so do images on some of the other feeds (webcomics, etc.) that I would like to be able to view in-line.

Is there a way to override the global "hide images in articles" setting on a per-feed basis, or alternately, to enable the "hide images in articles" setting on a per-feed basis? Thanks!

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: possible to display images for only some feeds?

Postby fox » 19 Mar 2013, 22:06

Sorry, no option for that. It's possible to make a simple plugin which would fix image attributes for that feed. Or you can just force them using css for all feeds.

Code: Select all

div.postContent img { max-height : 250px; }
div.cdmContent img { max-height : 250px; }

bmckenna
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bmckenna » 19 Mar 2013, 22:18

That CSS change fixes the issue for the feed with the large pictures, but since it affects all feeds globally, I can't read webcomics in-line as I used to, which isn't ideal.

The plugin option sounds promising. How would I go about looking into making that happen?

fox

Postby fox » 19 Mar 2013, 22:27

I think the hide images option should be changed from removing tags altogether to removing inlining, e.g. replacing images with links. This way the content is still accessible, but nobody will get screwed over NSFW stuff and such.

Also, I think that per-feed option for that is a reasonable thing.

Edit: if someone would absolutely require removing img tags altogether, than it's easily solvable with a very simple plugin running on sanitize hook. So, I'm not seeing any downsides.

bmckenna
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bmckenna » 19 Mar 2013, 22:35

I'm all for that :). Gives people the flexibility to have images as links for NSFW/other content that they don't want displayed in various feeds (such as news articles where the focus of the content is not the image) but allows for easy viewing of images in feeds that *are* image-centric (such as webcomics, funny cat pictures, etc.). Eagerly awaiting this feature :). Please let me know if you need some example feeds in each category; I'd be glad to provide the ones that I am following.

fox

Postby fox » 19 Mar 2013, 22:42

bmckenna
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bmckenna » 19 Mar 2013, 23:15

Being very new to php and your software, moderately new to linux in general, and not understanding very well how github works...what's the best way to apply the changes? Manually edit the code in the php files and replace with the new code? Sorry for the noobish question. :)

bmckenna
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bmckenna » 20 Mar 2013, 17:31

Nevermind, I got it sorted out! I downloaded the master.zip and reinstalled using the upgrade instructions. Everything worked very smoothly and the functionality works perfectly.

I saw in another thread that you can't accept paypal donations, which is a bummer...this is a fantastic product!

Ipstenu
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Ipstenu » 20 Mar 2013, 18:11

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 20 Mar 2013, 18:45

Ipstenu wrote:He totally takes paypal

There's a donate button on the upper right: http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki

A small remark: those links go the the Russian version of Paypal, and I (seriously, laugh at me if you want :-) ) can't find an obvious way to change the language. Perhaps it should default to English in all of TT-RSS's international glory to lower the donation threshold for users, which is the intent of the button to begin with, I would say. The rest of the project (documentation, forum, interface, code) seems to revolve around English as well.

fox

Postby fox » 20 Mar 2013, 18:48

I think it's more likely that paypal redirects based on your browser settings. I'm not seeing anything obviously locale-specific in there.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 20 Mar 2013, 19:13

fox wrote:I think it's more likely that paypal redirects based on your browser settings. I'm not seeing anything obviously locale-specific in there.

Well, I'm certainly not Russian to my knowledge :-) . I've tried several (Chrome, Opera) browsers and they all redirect that link to "https://www.paypal.com/ru/...". I guess they look at your personal locale as account owner and assume everyone has the same. I don't know how to change it from your end, though.

I checked for the off-chance that Paypal failed spectacularly at geo-location for my IP, but if I go directly to http://www.paypal.com/ it shows the site in my country's correct language.

craywolf
Mr. Awesome

Postby craywolf » 20 Mar 2013, 19:15

Went to Russian PayPal for me too, but it's easy enough to figure out. Money goes by the €, user/pass go where they normally do. Google can convert currency so you know what to put in.

fox

Postby fox » 20 Mar 2013, 19:24

Yeah, it might be doing that because of my account locale then. Nothing much I can do about it then.

bmckenna
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bmckenna » 20 Mar 2013, 19:40

My mistake! In browsing for a solution to the issue I first posed, I saw a post from fox saying something along the lines of paypal not doing donations because they thought all russians were arms dealers (or something along that line). That may have been from a while ago, though...don't remember the date on the post.

Return to “Support”