Too new to know. . .can I get some help?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
clubwdw
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Too new to know. . .can I get some help?

Postby clubwdw » 27 Mar 2013, 23:13

I know enough to be able to set up TT-RSS and get it working, but not enough to get it to update automatically (or semi automatically). I am using a host that uses the CPanel interface and as such, I'm not sure that the tools are there to set up the ability to have it update automatically. The host is HelioHost and quite honestly, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for as far as ability to run background processes. I DO know they only allow for 2 cron jobs a day and somebody there suggested using SetCronJob.Com to do the dirty work. . . .is this possible? If so, how?

Again, I know enough to be productive but not productive enough, apparently! :lol:

Please and thank you in advance for your help!

Bryan

clubwdw
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Too new to know. . .can I get some help?

Postby clubwdw » 28 Mar 2013, 18:55

Anybody?

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 28 Mar 2013, 19:05

clubwdw wrote:I DO know they only allow for 2 cron jobs a day

Seriously?

That's sad. Also really really funny.

jab
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jab » 28 Mar 2013, 19:40

Time to get creative then. 2 cron jobs is pretty worthless. What I would do (barring any better ideas) is upload an additional script to your hosted space. Set 1 of your cron jobs to call your additional script every minute and that script would have to do the heavy lifting for you. You can set that script to check days/times and run other scripts based on that similar to what you would have multiple cron jobs do.

Of course it's not always possible financially but it would almost be easier to just find different hosting.

EDIT: Quick google search turned up this: http://www.bitfolge.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61%3Aphp&catid=38%3Aeigene&Itemid=59&limitstart=3

jmjf
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jmjf » 28 Mar 2013, 19:44

blainemono wrote:
clubwdw wrote:I DO know they only allow for 2 cron jobs a day

Seriously?

That's sad. Also really really funny.

Went and checked because I was curious what web host would have such a ridiculous limit.

Q. Is there a limit on how many cron jobs can be run?
A. Yes, you can run no more than 2 cron tasks per day. This is because that they put lots of pressute (sic) on the server and can cause downtime.

I wonder if a job that runs every half hour is considered one task or 48.

They're free, so I guess it's a matter of getting what you pay for. (tt-rss is free, though, and much better than that.)

Meanwhile, OP...
Option 1: Google free web hosting and find a host that doesn't have ridiculous system limits. (Do you really need unlimited bandwidth?)
Option 2: Pony up for cheap non-free web hosting.
Option 3: Set up a cheap linux box on an old machine (even a netbook or old P3 box runs Linux okay for basic server duties) and check out noip or dyndns for free dynamic IP. You'd be amazed at all the uses you can find for a linux box.

clubwdw
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby clubwdw » 28 Mar 2013, 19:49

jab wrote:Time to get creative then. 2 cron jobs is pretty worthless. What I would do (barring any better ideas) is upload an additional script to your hosted space. Set 1 of your cron jobs to call your additional script every minute and that script would have to do the heavy lifting for you. You can set that script to check days/times and run other scripts based on that similar to what you would have multiple cron jobs do.

Of course it's not always possible financially but it would almost be easier to just find different hosting.

I like this idea quite a bit, actually. Yes, financial considerations are an issue. The other issue is that I'm somewhat limited in knowing how to implement such ideas. As I mentioned in the post, I know just enough to do the basics. . . .I do a lot of learning on the run, as it were.

I have no problem hacking around on others' code, but I'm a bit tentative on other things. I can use the SetCronJob.Com (They allow for 50 cron jobs a day) to call up a PHP script that I could write that would tell TT-RSS to update. . .my problem is that I'm not sure what to do internally to tell TT-RSS to update feeds. Can you shed some light on this for me?

Thank you for your patience and help. . . .seriously!

clubwdw
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby clubwdw » 28 Mar 2013, 19:50

jab wrote:Time to get creative then. 2 cron jobs is pretty worthless. What I would do (barring any better ideas) is upload an additional script to your hosted space. Set 1 of your cron jobs to call your additional script every minute and that script would have to do the heavy lifting for you. You can set that script to check days/times and run other scripts based on that similar to what you would have multiple cron jobs do.

EDIT: Quick google search turned up this: http://www.bitfolge.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61%3Aphp&catid=38%3Aeigene&Itemid=59&limitstart=3

Love the Pseudo-Cron idea. . . .again, my stumbling block is what do I need to do to tell TT-RSS to update feeds?

jab
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jab » 28 Mar 2013, 21:08

You caught me on a good day, I generally enjoy being an asshole. Maybe I am getting sick or something.

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... atingFeeds

clubwdw
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby clubwdw » 28 Mar 2013, 21:14

jab wrote:You caught me on a good day, I generally enjoy being an asshole. Maybe I am getting sick or something.

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... atingFeeds

Ha! Thanks, Jab! :D I had read that more than a few times, I just don't think it "clicked" until now. . . .this is what should normally be put in on the CRON job. . . .correct?

*/30 * * * * /usr/bin/wget --output-document=/dev/null --timeout=600 "http://www.your-site.xxx/tt-rss/backend.php?op=globalUpdateFeeds&daemon=1"

If I'm correct, then the challenge becomes how to use the PsuedoCron (or some other method) to make this work. . . .right?

jab
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jab » 28 Mar 2013, 21:55

Yes. For example with the SetCronJob.com thing you could just have it hit the URL "http://www.your-site.xxx/tt-rss/backend.php?op=globalUpdateFeeds&daemon=1" 50 times a day or whatever frequency you want.

Beware depending on the number of feeds you have this could potentially take a while to run and I think that place has some timeout limits.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 28 Mar 2013, 22:01

Just use simple update mode.

clubwdw
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby clubwdw » 28 Mar 2013, 22:07

fox wrote:Just use simple update mode.

Hi, Fox! Thanks for chiming in! I have simple update set up, but as I mostly use my phone, that does me very little good. Are there plans at some point, for the Android app to allow for this?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 28 Mar 2013, 22:10

I don't think that keeping android app awake for long periods of time to update stuff is a good idea. Get better hosting. Simple updating is a last resort measure after all.

Return to “Support”