List scrolls with 'n', even when not needed

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
Rundfunk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

List scrolls with 'n', even when not needed

Postby Rundfunk » 31 Mar 2013, 20:07

Hi all. Let me start off by thanking fox and the people on this forum for a great RSS reader and support in using it. Hope someone is able to help me with the following:

While I used 1.7.4 of TT-RSS, pressing 'n' on the keyboard would select the next article in the feed in combined mode (also in normal mode I persume, but I always use combined). When several short articles were shown on the screen, pressing 'n' would only select the next article, without scrolling.

Since I upgraded to 1.7.5, pressing 'n' will also select the next article, but will always scroll the list and show it at the top. Even when there is space for multiple articles on the screen, and there is no need to scroll.

I preferred the scrolling style of 1.7.4, because it allows me to quickly skim through my feeds while keeping the article I am looking at selected. With the unneeded scrolls I need to relocate my eyes to the top of the page, while otherwise I could just keep reading untill I hit the bottom of the page.

My question: is there a way to use the scrolling behaviour when pressing 'n' from the 1.7.4 version of TT-RSS in version 1.7.5?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: List scrolls with 'n', even when not needed

Postby fox » 31 Mar 2013, 20:08

_noscroll variants work exactly like before. By default those are bound to ctrl+up/down

Rundfunk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Rundfunk » 31 Mar 2013, 21:59

I tried the '_noscroll' variants, but these do something different than I want. They immediately go the the next article when the current article is bigger than the avaiable screen space (if I understand correctly). What I am looking for is to select the next article without scrolling when multiple articles fit into one screen.

I hope I'm a bit clear.. otherwise I'll make some screenshots. :)

fox

Postby fox » 31 Mar 2013, 22:57

That one is gone for various technical reasons I'm afraid.

>They immediately go the the next article when the current article is bigger than the avaiable screen space

No. They always keep next/previous article on top regardless of height.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 31 Mar 2013, 23:25

Rundfunk wrote:I tried the '_noscroll' variants, but these do something different than I want. They immediately go the the next article when the current article is bigger than the avaiable screen space (if I understand correctly). What I am looking for is to select the next article without scrolling when multiple articles fit into one screen.

I hope I'm a bit clear.. otherwise I'll make some screenshots. :)

Also look at "article_scroll_up"/"article_scroll_down". These will scroll the article pane continuously without changing the selected post. Perhaps you don't even need to select the next article if you just want to skim (note the "Mark above as read" option when right-clicking an item header, and "Automatically mark as read" among the preferences).

As to what might have caused your experienced behavior to change, this is the change I can find concerning the (probably) relevant part of the js/viewfeed,js file between 1.7.4 and 1.7.5 that might be the cause: https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... f548f14cfd (change history for the file). Try to revert this change in your js/viewfeed.js file and see if that changes the behavior back to what you want, just to try to pinpoint exactly what you mean.

Rundfunk wrote:I preferred the scrolling style of 1.7.4, because it allows me to quickly skim through my feeds while keeping the article I am looking at selected. With the unneeded scrolls I need to relocate my eyes to the top of the page, while otherwise I could just keep reading untill I hit the bottom of the page.

Personally, I skim much more efficient with the option that always throws the next selected item to the top of the pane, since that always makes it deterministic where my eyes should go next. Often the headline is enough for a skim as well, which makes my eyes static for the most of the time. This probably differs from person to person and depending on regularly read feeds (and their post length, and screen size, etc.), though.

EDIT: Didn't see fox's reply above before posting, which makes some of the above irrelevant. I'll leave my message as-is anyway.

fox

Postby fox » 31 Mar 2013, 23:33

The point of that change (if memory serves) was that now cdm content is passed encoded which saves a ton of bandwidth because stuff is only loaded when it's visible, but it's impossible to predict the height of an article because it's being created when you see it first.

So I tried it the old way and there was a lot of annoying jumping around while images loaded and whatnot, which is what forced me to move active article to top in unexpanded mode (it's a bit better in expanded mode because the elements are fixed once they are preloaded).

Of course it might work okay for you, who knows. Try it. I might even be talking complete shit right now.

>Personally, I skim much more efficient with the option that always throws the next selected item to the top of the pane, since that always makes it deterministic where my eyes should go next

Edit: also a valid point

huy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby huy » 02 Apr 2013, 00:14

Hello,

I'm fine with ctrl+up/down however the key combination won't work after clicking a feed or category in combined mode using firefox.

Cheers

fox

Postby fox » 02 Apr 2013, 09:11

Dijit tree likes to grab keyboard input. You can remap ctrl-arrows to n/p by making a very simple plugin.

Return to “Support”