PHP version on GoDaddy Hosting

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
bzowk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

PHP version on GoDaddy Hosting

Postby bzowk » 28 Apr 2013, 04:16

Good Afternoon Guys -

Due to Google Reader's downfall, I'm trying to set up a self-hosted RSS server. I planned to install it on one of my domain names which I have hosted with GoDaddy.

I downloaded the files, extracted, uploaded it to a folder via FTP, then went to http://mysite.com/tt-rss/install/. Once there, I filled in all of the fields as needed and clicked Test Configuration. Unfortunately, I received an error:

PHP version 5.3.0 or newer required.

I've searched the forums / FAQ and found a couple of people saying that files may need to be edited, but still am not sure on what to do so I signed up to post. Below are the specs of my environment.

- GoDaddy Hosting (Linux)
- GoDaddy DB Server version: 5.0.96-log
- MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Do I need to install PHP? I didn't see it in the directions I used.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Re: PHP version on GoDaddy Hosting

Postby sleeper_service » 28 Apr 2013, 11:38

*grabs the popcorn*

rwd
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby rwd » 28 Apr 2013, 12:02

Apparently your host does not have the required version of PHP. With shared hosting you can't upgrade it yourself. That's the reason shared hosting often doesn't work.

billamoore
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby billamoore » 28 Apr 2013, 17:25

I have tt-rss working on Godaddy with no problems. Inside your hosting control panel go to options and settings and select programming languages. Then select your PHP version.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.5 KiB) Viewed 3630 times

Your cron job will need to look something like this => /usr/bin/wget --output-document=/dev/null --timeout=600 "http://YOUR-DOMAIN-PATH-TO-TTRSS/backend.php?op=globalUpdateFeeds&daemon=1"

.bill

jfmessier
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jfmessier » 09 May 2013, 20:29

Do you have any quick'n'dirty porocess to get it working ? Is it the same as the documentation states, or are there some wuirks that we need to look at ? I also have a web service hosted at GoDaddy, and I wish I could also run mine there.

billamoore
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby billamoore » 09 May 2013, 21:09

I built my installation exactly as stated in the documentation utilizing a /tt-rss/ directory in the root of an existing site. The only problem I had was the cron job for auto-updating the feeds which I listed above. Mine is set to run every thirty minutes. Beyond that, everything but the version updates work fine and I really don't care. I just manually update when a new build comes along. System plugins require manual activation as well, but your mileage may vary. Probably permissions somewhere.

I don't think Fox is supporting / planning support for this type of installation. In fact, I am surprised I haven't been chastised yet for even replying to this thread. It works on Godaddy but I wouldn't run around the forums asking a lot of questions unless you just want to be abused. :)

Where exactly are you stuck?

.bill

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 10 May 2013, 00:28

>In fact, I am surprised I haven't been chastised yet for even replying to this thread.

It seems my policy of arbitrary terror is working well.

jfmessier
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jfmessier » 10 May 2013, 04:59

Well, I've been using tt-rss for a while, on my home server, and I really like it. That's why I also got the Android client and paid for it. I really like the solution, but running it on my home-based PC is not the best option, as we seem to have more power shutdowns now than in the last 10 years. And since this is something that I use both from my home PC and my work PC at lunch, I cannot just install it on a server at work.

Return to “Support”