[Android] Offline mode bug?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
frnx
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

[Android] Offline mode bug?

Postby frnx » 15 Jun 2013, 15:38

Hi all,

I've been using Tiny Tiny RSS's official Android app for a few months since Google Reader's demise, and it's pretty much replaced it entirely, and more. Thanks to all of you who made that possible, and thanks Andrew!

One of the great features of the app (and one I haven't found in any other feed reader) is the offline mode. However, it currently forces me to leave the app open while the offline sync runs, which is mildly annoying. If I do not, here is what happens :

* I open the app, click on "Offline mode"
* A notification pops up, saying "Preparation"
* Meanwhile, I open another app (GMail for example, because I just got a notification) without waiting for Tiny Tiny RSS to finish syncing
* After a while, the Tiny Tiny RSS notification disappears (so the sync should be done, right?)
* When I go back to Tiny Tiny RSS a while later (I even tried doing that more than 10 minutes later), nothing happened at all
* If I click again on "Offline mode", it says "Offline sync is running, Cancel or Continue?"
* If I shut down the network there and click on "Offline mode" again, it tries to download everything again and I can't access any downloaded feed

I hope that was clear enough. It's a rather annoying bug, precisely because I'm not exactly sure what's causing it. Does that happen to anyone else?

I might be able to fix it if I can find it in the source, but I'm not so familiar with the app's code, so it might take a while. If anybody is aware of it an currently trying to fix it, it'd be great to know about it so that we don't do needless work.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: [Android] Offline mode bug?

Postby fox » 15 Jun 2013, 15:46

The download service sends intent to the main app when it is finished, I guess it can't receive it when it's not running or something like that.

Edit: look for a broadcast receiver in OnlineActivity I think

frnx
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby frnx » 15 Jun 2013, 15:55

Ah, yes, thanks. Makes sense that the app wouldn't receive the intent if it was just broadcast. I'll try to fix that over the weekend and send you a pull request on GitHub.

frnx
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby frnx » 15 Jun 2013, 18:01

Aha, found it! Look at my latest pull request, and tell me if anything could go wrong with what I did, I could have missed something ;)

cqrt
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby cqrt » 15 Jun 2013, 20:21

frnx
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby frnx » 15 Jun 2013, 23:38

@cqrt: I practically never star or publish articles, so I haven't noticed that. If it doesn't take too much time, I will take a look.

raptorialfungus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby raptorialfungus » 03 Jul 2013, 16:52

Hi, frnx!

Yes, I have exactly the same problem as you. And i need to leave the app open all the time while syncing runs to finish it correctly.
More than that ... after tt-rss client finished downloading articles' bodies it says "Offline mode is ready" but still downloading images and if I press "Go offline" then big part of articles will be without images. I need to wait until preparation notification still there and dialog "Offline mode is ready" needs to be on the screen!!!
Because several times preparing was broken when I just rotated the screen while waiting for download to finish. "Offline mode is ready" is disappearing when rotating :)

P.S. Starred/published bug here too.

Andy

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby durval » 27 Jul 2013, 14:06

Hello folks,

Same issue here while acessing tt-rss with android client: if I don't keep tt-rss running on the foreground, the notification comes and goes and nothing happens...

Details: running tt-rss 1.8 on my own Springdale6 (RHEL-like distro) server, and the standard tt-rss client on my Nexus4 phone.

Cheers,
--
Durval.

Cheetah
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Cheetah » 18 Sep 2013, 18:51

Return to “Support”