Broken Images in Feeds?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
moronim
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Broken Images in Feeds?

Postby moronim » 20 Jun 2013, 03:31

I'm having an issue I hope the forum can assist me with. The issue only occurs with one of the feeds that I am subscribed to (http://www.punknews.org) where each article that contains an image shows up as a broken image. The other feeds that I am subscribed to show the images correctly. I've looked in the apache logs as well as the tt-rss logs and don't seem to find anything suspect.

Further, these images show up just fine in google reader feed (I'm migrating over to tt-rss, as many other are, for obvious reasons).

I'm running debian linux, with tt-rss 1.8. Below is a screenshot of the issue I'm facing...

Any help/suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

LifeWOutMilk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Broken Images in Feeds?

Postby LifeWOutMilk » 20 Jun 2013, 10:00

It's just you...

But seriously, I'm running trunk from July 17 and as you can see there are images.

weemadarthur
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby weemadarthur » 20 Jun 2013, 14:30

It's not just you.

The images are not showing because tt-rss is setting the Referer header when requesting the images from the feed's website. Some websites block requests with a different referer to prevent hotlinking of images.

In your case, the website simply refuses tthe request with a 403. Other websites replace the requested image with a different one, as I saw below.

I can confirm that this works on 1.7.8, where the Referer tag is not set, and does not work on 1.8 or latest trunk.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 20 Jun 2013, 14:41

The site is using hotlink prevention then, so all of it is working as they intended.

weemadarthur
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby weemadarthur » 20 Jun 2013, 14:54

That's not the point. tt-rss should not be setting the referer header at all.
See http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2003/03/26/referer_spam_a_message_to_writers_of_web_tools/ and http://kottke.org/03/01/rss-readers-misusing-the-referer-field.

Also, the fact that tt-rss version 1.7.8 works and 1.8 and later don't would, in my opninion, count as a regression against tt-rss.

fox

Postby fox » 20 Jun 2013, 15:09

First link made my day. Thanks for that. Referrer spam. Jesus fucking christ.

fox

Postby fox » 20 Jun 2013, 15:11

The Referer request-header allows a server to generate lists of back-links to resources for interest, logging, optimized caching, etc. It also allows obsolete or mistyped links to be traced for maintenance. The Referer field MUST NOT be sent if the Request-URI was obtained from a source that does not have its own URI, such as input from the user keyboard. — RFC2616: HTTP/1.1

I've written about this before. So has Mark Pilgrim, and he's got a much bigger audience than me. If you are writing a news aggregator, web robot, blog indexing tool, whatever, you MUST NOT advertise your product's website in the Referer header. If you do, your product does not comply with the HTTP standard. More importantly, you're being incredibly annoying.

But is has an URL, you miserable spergy dipshit fucktard. It's a fucking web page that shows RSS feeds to you. Of course it has a fucking URL. Which is why the browser is setting the referrer. Gah.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 20 Jun 2013, 15:14

The biggest culprits by volume are RSS newsreaders (Although many have stopped since Mark Pilgrim brought it up), but they're only a minor annoyance because they all just hit the RSS feeds, and since there can't really be any legitimate referers for RSS feeds, you can ignore them all. In fact, I rather like the idea of RSS readers leaving behind the site of the newsreader's user in the referer header, so you can see who's reading you. That's useful information, and almost related to the purpose of the header.

I like making up my mind, although making up my mind is sometimes not that good. In fact, I rather hate making up my mind on subjects, making up my mind is bollocks.

fox

Postby fox » 20 Jun 2013, 15:15

Being a horrible sperg with zero self awareness is really cool. We need to aspire to this guy. Stop referrer spam!

I'm not just being a standards-nazi here.

You can't be a standards-nazi if you don't understand what the standard actually means, you dolt. You dolt-nazi.

weemadarthur
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby weemadarthur » 20 Jun 2013, 15:23

I've annoyed you by posting that link, for which I apologize. I'm a new tt-rss user user and just trying to figure out why some of my feeds are no longer working, for a given value of working.

Which is why the browser is setting the referrer.

I have two separate tt-rss instances, one with 1.7.8, and one with 1.8, which I just installed today. The exact same browser (Firefox 21.0 n Windows 7) is not setting the referer header for the first instance, and setting it for the second. To me, that seems like the browser is not the issue. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll shut up about this and stick to 1.7.8.

fox

Postby fox » 20 Jun 2013, 15:26

I like the chain of events here:

1. kottke.org guy posts about *desktop* applications setting referrer which is entirely wrong and breaks the specification
2. fishbowl asswipe sperg somehow extends that to any rss reader in existence or some shit, his post has too many contradictions to figure it out
3. brave forum poster weemadarthur contributes all of it to the forum of a fucking web rss reader which has nothing to do with any of it
4. ?
5. everyone stands up and claps, thread gets moved to comedy bistro

fox

Postby fox » 20 Jun 2013, 15:28

weemadarthur wrote:I've annoyed you by posting that link, for which I apologize.

Are you kidding? It's the highlight of the day.

I have two separate tt-rss instances, one with 1.7.8, and one with 1.8, which I just installed today. The exact same browser (Firefox 21.0 n Windows 7) is not setting the referer header for the first instance, and setting it for the second. To me, that seems like the browser is not the issue. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll shut up about this and stick to 1.7.8.

You do realize that the only thing tt-rss does is placing html tags on a webpage for you to read? It has nothing to do with HTTP request headers your browser is making. In fact, I'm not even sure it's possible to forbid your browser to send referrer for images.

Edit: you sure you don't have image caching enabled on your other instance? That would effectively circumvent hotlink protection as updater service doesn't set it for obvious reasons.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 20 Jun 2013, 15:37

this thread needs more bears... here's fox laughing: Image

weemadarthur
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby weemadarthur » 20 Jun 2013, 15:39

It's a default installation of tt-rss 1.8, with the settings and feeds imported via OPML from the older instance. I haven't made any other changes.

Anyway, thanks. It's obvious tt-rss is not the issue here.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 20 Jun 2013, 15:40

sleeper_service wrote:this thread needs more bears... here's fox laughing:

yes, he's a bear, ...

named fox...

why's this so hard to understand?

Return to “Support”