TT-RSS install error

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
lussierj
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:04

TT-RSS install error

Postby lussierj » 12 Jul 2013, 14:10

I have Tiny Tiny RSS almost working. I am trying to get TT-RSS running on my unRaid server. I am using the web server from the Simple Features plugin for unRaid which uses lighttpd version 1.4.31 and PHP 5.3.17. I have also installed MySQL Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.30. I get past the TT-RSS install(setting up and verifying the database) then when I try to access TT-RSS I get the error
"Startup failed Tiny Tiny RSS was unable to start properly. This usually means a misconfiguration or an incomplete upgrade. Please fix errors indicated by the following messages: Please don't run this script as root."
I have no idea where to go from here. Any thoughts?
Thanks

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby sleeper_service » 12 Jul 2013, 16:48

lussierj wrote: Please fix errors indicated by the following messages: Please don't run this script as root."
I have no idea where to go from here. Any thoughts?
Thanks


my thought would be, "WHAT DOES THE ERROR MESSAGE SAY?"

lussierj
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:04

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby lussierj » 12 Jul 2013, 18:24

the only error I see is:
Please don't run this script as root

ldidry
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 27
Joined: 11 Jun 2013, 20:43

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby ldidry » 12 Jul 2013, 18:32

So… don't run ttrss with the root user. Simple as reading the error message. Don't you have a www-data or www user which is the common user for running web sites' scripts ?

lussierj
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:04

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby lussierj » 12 Jul 2013, 18:43

Image

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby sleeper_service » 12 Jul 2013, 18:43

lussierj wrote:the only error I see is:
Please don't run this script as root


I was starting to think you couldn't read...

edit: I guess I spoke too soon. which word in there confuses you?

lussierj
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:04

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby lussierj » 12 Jul 2013, 18:54

I don't have a www-data or www user. At least not one that I set up, I just used default settings for the install. I'll see if I can figure out where and how to to add a www user. Thanks

lussierj
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Jul 2013, 14:04

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby lussierj » 12 Jul 2013, 20:45

Please excuse my ignorance. I have created a www-data user and made it owner of the www folder, but can't figure where I would change what user is running the script that is causing the error.

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master
Posts: 160
Joined: 26 Dec 2012, 20:03

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby feader » 12 Jul 2013, 21:39

lussierj wrote:Please excuse my ignorance. I have created a www-data user and made it owner of the www folder, but can't figure where I would change what user is running the script that is causing the error.

:roll: man su. You can find examples of its use in this forum, or all over the internet.

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: TT-RSS install error

Postby sleeper_service » 12 Jul 2013, 22:38

lussierj wrote:I have Tiny Tiny RSS almost working. I am trying to get TT-RSS running on my unRaid server. I am using the web server from the Simple Features plugin for unRaid which uses lighttpd version 1.4.31 and PHP 5.3.17. I have also installed MySQL Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.30.

Please don't run this script as root."

Thanks


I suggest taking the question to unraid support and ask them how to set it up properly. it's not a ttrss issue, it's a 'your webeserver isn't configured right' issue.


Return to “Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests