Google detects my server as a bot since I run TT-RSS

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
vl33d
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Google detects my server as a bot since I run TT-RSS

Postby vl33d » 23 Jul 2013, 09:06

Hello, TT-RSS is working fine on my debian 7 virtual private server. I just configured the update daemon, and I have 21 active RSS feeds.

The problem is, that when I browse the web through a SSH tunnel, Google asks me to type a captcha because of unusual traffic coming from my IP adress.

I checked my feeds manually, none of them comes from google.com.

Have anybody experienced a similar issue ?

I have also a citadel mail server running and a Zerobin app. But I ran those before and never had such a problem.

Thanks.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Google detects my server as a bot since I run TT-RSS

Postby fox » 23 Jul 2013, 09:11

I like how google decides what is and isn't unusual. Maybe you should use some other service which doesn't try to police your internet connection.

Edit: also I fail to see how is this related to tt-rss in any way.

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 23 Jul 2013, 11:09

vl33d wrote:The problem is, that when I browse the web through a SSH tunnel, Google asks me to type a captcha because of unusual traffic coming from my IP adress.

Has this happened over a long period of time? Because this has happened to me from time to time without apparent reason (on locations without TT-RSS). If it is just an isolated incident, wait a while to try to find a pattern.

If it does seem to happen often since TT-RSS was installed, also try to stop TT-RSS and see if it stops. And perhaps you can increase the update interval on your feeds, if it is in any way relevant to your problem.

vl33d wrote:I checked my feeds manually, none of them comes from google.com.

Note that Feedburner is owned by Google, and is a common RSS feed service.

fox

Postby fox » 23 Jul 2013, 11:26

Feedburner leaking connection information to google search sounds like a privacy fucking nightmare.

lbb
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lbb » 23 Jul 2013, 11:28

You say it's a virtual private server, the issue might as well be caused by other servers in the same server facility. Maybe one of them downloads Youtube videos all day, or whatever. Or your ssh proxy isn't configured properly.

raindog469
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby raindog469 » 23 Jul 2013, 11:30

phz wrote:Note that Feedburner is owned by Google, and is a common RSS feed service.

As are blogger and blogspot.

But I pull plenty of feedburner, blogger and blogspot feeds in my TT-RSS installation (with well over 500 feeds), our server is natted behind the same router as our laptops. We haven't had a problem, touch wood, with being mistaken for a bot, at least not since we've been running TT-RSS. Is your poll frequency set too high, maybe?

fox

Postby fox » 23 Jul 2013, 11:37

lbb wrote:You say it's a virtual private server, the issue might as well be caused by other servers in the same server facility. Maybe one of them downloads Youtube videos all day, or whatever.

This actually makes a lot of sense.

jdelamater99
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby jdelamater99 » 23 Jul 2013, 12:06

Does it only do this when using SSH tunneling? If so that could be your problem. It could also be that Google doesn't like the port that is being used.

Another thing, how does Google know? Are you using them for your DNS server?

vl33d
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby vl33d » 23 Jul 2013, 13:33

Thanks for all your answers, great to be listened to ;)

Actually, I didn't know feedburners was google's crap, so I just deleted all the feedburner feeds (what about feedportal ?). My update frequency was proabaly too high (15 min), so I lowered it to 30 min.

I'll let you know if it gets back to normal.

I feel a little bit depressed : I chose to go for RSS feeds to escape the news.google.com portal I was addicted to, but I just returned to google's crappy hands, without noticing it :(.

Now, as for the virtual private server, no I have my own personal IP adress, so even if the CPU/disk space are shared, my connection is dedicated, so I am the only one responsible (or my server) of this "ban".

As for SSH tunelling : the tunnel is between a local machine and the server, the tunnel is dynamic, so if my machine uses the 80 or the SSL port, the remote server uses the same. It worked well before.

How does google know ? I just talk about google searches, web browsing away from google works very well, but we know now, google is everywhere :'(.

See that sad link :

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/20 ... t-traffic/

supersmurf
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby supersmurf » 23 Jul 2013, 14:59

jdelamater99 wrote:Now, as for the virtual private server, no I have my own personal IP adress, so even if the CPU/disk space are shared, my connection is dedicated, so I am the only one responsible (or my server) of this "ban".

You might be responsible with your ip but there could be lots of people in the same ip range that are not which could be triggering this for the whole range.

ux2063
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ux2063 » 23 Jul 2013, 15:34

I get this problem regularly.
The problem existed before I used tt-rss and it still exists now I do, so it has nothing to do with tt-rss.
Google is very keen on collecting as much information about you as is possible. That captcha stuff is part of it (more or less).
I know for sure that if you apply enough measures to counteract commercial crap on websites you will see those captchas.
I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and I run my own DNS server and a filtering proxy in addition, so virtually no commercial stuff gets through and I get those captchas from time to time.
Interestingly I do not get them always. Google does not want you to scare away permanently.
Since a few days I get a captcha sometimes so apparently they've started another teaser campaign.
As you stated yourself they own a lot of RSS services. When the commercial stuff is blocked they'll know it and hence the annoying captchas.

jdelamater99
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby jdelamater99 » 23 Jul 2013, 16:18

supersmurf wrote:
jdelamater99 wrote:Now, as for the virtual private server, no I have my own personal IP adress, so even if the CPU/disk space are shared, my connection is dedicated, so I am the only one responsible (or my server) of this "ban".

You might be responsible with your ip but there could be lots of people in the same ip range that are not which could be triggering this for the whole range.

i didn't say that :wink:

vl33d
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby vl33d » 23 Jul 2013, 19:55

Seems to work, as said before, I removed all the feedburner's feeds and changed the update frequency to 30 min. No captcha at all tonight ;)

vl33d
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby vl33d » 23 Jul 2013, 19:56

jdelamater99 wrote:
supersmurf wrote:

i didn't say that :wink:

Banning an IP range is even worse :(

Don't be evil ?

Return to “Support”