1.9 - Mark as Read

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

1.9 - Mark as Read

Postby lyallp » 27 Jul 2013, 13:22

A minor niggle, for a an awesome product :)

I had the Fresh Articles tree selected and at the time, 2 articles were displayed in the article pane. I walked away to make dinner.
Later, I looked and the Left tree showed 12 unread articles in the Fresh Articles tree, but only 2 articles were still displayed in the article pane.
I pressed the 'Mark as read' button at the top of the article pane.
I expected the 'Mark as read' to mark the 2 displayed articles as read and display the remaining 10.
In fact, what happened was all 12 articles were marked as read and the article pane was left empty.

I guess, what I expected was that if the number of unread articles in the tree view changed, that the display of the articles in article pane would be updated to reflect that OR 'Mark as read' would only mark the 'displayed' articles as read, not the unread articles in the current tree.

...Lyall

I am displaying tt-rss 1.9 displaying in Firefox 17.0.7 on Linux.

tt-rss is running on my shared hosting provider on a linux base.

My preferences are as follows, given I use collapsed mode, and it may be important

Automatically mark articles as read (clear)
Automatically expand articles in combined mode (clear)
Combined feed display (set)
Confirm marking feed as read (clear)
Enable feed categories (set)
Sort feeds by unread articles count (clear)
Maximum age of fresh articles (in hours) (24)
Hide feeds with no unread articles (clear)
Show special feeds when hiding read feeds (set)
On catchup show next feed (set)
Show content preview in headlines list (set)
Do not embed images in articles (clear)
Theme (default.css)

I am happy to provide any additional information, if requested.

vilain
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: 1.9 - Mark as Read

Postby vilain » 27 Jul 2013, 22:58

this was the same behavior I saw on Google Reader. It just means that the form did autorefresh under the database but the values in the form to flag the update in database didn't refresh. If you reload the page, that should update everything and when you click Mark as Read, it will update the correct articles.

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 28 Jul 2013, 05:15

I realise if I refreshed the page that things would all be the same.
What I am indicating are my expectations, not what happens.

Given the feed tree is able to refresh it's count, I figured the reading pane would be able to recieve a 'refresh' trigger if the tree node that applies to the current reading pane has its count updated. That's one expectation, though I can understand why the read pane does not refresh, it would be annoying having the read pane suddenly refresh whilst you are perusing through it, especially if you are reading the 'Fresh' feed, which is a summary of all feeds, and the most likely to have updates.

When I click the 'mark as read' button, I don't expect that articles that are not visible on the screen to be marked as read. It can sometimes take me a while to be able to read the titles of all articles in a feed. How many articles am I missing when I click 'Mark as read' after a session of reading?

Maybe use 'right click -> Mark above as read' instead as the 'Mark as read' button, in my view, is overly hungry.

Don't get me wrong, I still think tt-rss is awesome, I am just noting a niggling behaviour.

...Lyall

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 28 Jul 2013, 05:40

I agree with the OP. I wish it would mark read only what's actually visible in the article list and not mark as read those articles that are in the feed but have not yet been displayed. I live with the current behavior but I do wish it were different.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 28 Jul 2013, 10:04

Search before posting. The context for this action is entire feed.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 28 Jul 2013, 10:34

fox wrote:Search before posting. The context for this action is entire feed.

There's really no need to search. It's apparent what the behavior is just by using the software (and apparent the OP understands that behavior). The OP's request is to change the context of the action to "the articles actually being displayed at the time the action is invoked." Now, whether or not that change is implemented is, of course, up to you. Both ways are justifiable and make sense. It's just a matter of choosing one or the other. Of course the path of least resistance is "leave things as they are" so I suspect the context won't be changing.

fox

Postby fox » 28 Jul 2013, 11:09

1. Marking only displayed stuff as read is done using a separate function which already exists (select unread, toggle, etc.). The option op is trying to use works on an entire feed.

2. Somehow ignoring articles which appeared after you last clicked on the feed is technically possible in newest first mode (and would require a separate query for oldest first, I guess, which would slightly affect overall performance) but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea to implement. I feel that people would instead come asking why is the feed not marked as read when they totally pressed the mark as read button.

xuo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby xuo » 28 Jul 2013, 12:18

Hi,

I feel that people would instead come asking why is the feed not marked as read when they totally pressed the mark as read button.

Absolutely, this would be my first question.

Regards.

Xuo.

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 28 Jul 2013, 13:52

The key, I think is that it can take a while to read through a feed headlines, when I press 'Mark as read', how many headlines have appeared in the back end that I didn't see and have sumarily dismissed?

Why is it so difficult to make 'Mark as read' do the same as right-click on the last article, 'Mark above as read' PLUS 'Mark as read'?

The functionality already exists, it just needs to be 'consolidated' in to one click.

As I said, it's only a niggling bit of functionality in an otherwise awesome product :)

...Lyall

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 28 Jul 2013, 14:42

why don't you just use the existing functionality, to mark above as read? if I click on a feed, and say 'mark as read' I mean to mark the whole feed as read.

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 28 Jul 2013, 16:02

The reason I don't use 'Mark above as read' is it leaves one article left, unread.
Whilst I could then right click and 'toggle unread', why would I if it's so much easier to simply click one button that appears to be built for the purpose?

...Lyall

fox

Postby fox » 28 Jul 2013, 16:38

Because that button does a different thing. HTH.

vilain
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby vilain » 28 Jul 2013, 17:28

If I'm understanding the OP's requirements vs. what tt-RSS' Mark as Read does, it's this:

at some point t(0), a user opens tt-rss and it displays all the unread articles culled from the feeds that are defined in the database.

while reading some fraction of those articles or leaving the session, another update to the unread articles occurs

The reader clicks the Mark as Read on the page. It's unclear if the tt-rss page refreshes automatically to display new article counts without the reader actually requesting a page-refresh from their browser. This part is key.

Pre-refresh, I suspect page has article ids and limits embedded in it such that those limits are used when you click Mark as Read. Those limits don't change on the current page unless it's refreshed. So any new articles since that page was displayed won't be considered in the Mark as Read request.

The reader does a refresh, which changes the article counts and headers displayed. If they do Mark as Read now, all the articles displayed will be flagged as read in the database.

I think this is 'expected' behavior. It's a periodically updating, transaction based system. If you update without seeing what you're updating, you might miss something. If you don't care, maybe there should be a flag or option in the preferences to change the behavior of Mark as Read to immediately update EVERYTHING in the database rather than just what's been reviewed so far.

fox

Postby fox » 28 Jul 2013, 17:53

Yes let's add an option so that mark feed as read would do something completely different because reasons.

In short, this is not going to change.

Athanasius
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Athanasius » 28 Jul 2013, 18:10

fox wrote:Yes let's add an option so that mark feed as read would do something completely different because reasons.

In short, this is not going to change.

Perhaps actually labelling the button as "Mark Feed as Read" rather than the current "Mark as read" would help people understand its intended function. It also strikes me as the sort of thing where good UX design would have a confirmation popup on use with a tickbox "Don't remind me in future" pointing out what the button is actually going to do.

Personally I do find the current behaviour annoying. I have a 'News' category with several Guardian feeds, plus Slashdot and a few others, it's very easy for this to receive new articles whilst browsing through. Yes, I've conditioned myself to use a mix of "Mark Above as Read/Below as Read", and/or "Select all" > Mark as Read. But both of those are clumsy as compared to the naive expectation of "Mark as read" marking the visible articles as read.

Client-side a "Mark visible as read" would just have to do the equivalent of a "Select All" + "Mark as read" from the drop down, yes ?

Return to “Support”