1.9 - Mark as Read

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: 1.9 - Mark as Read

Postby fox » 28 Jul 2013, 18:21

>Perhaps actually labelling the button as "Mark Feed as Read" rather than the current "Mark as read" would help people understand its intended function. It also strikes me as the sort of thing where good UX design would have a confirmation popup on use with a tickbox "Don't remind me in future" pointing out what the button is actually going to do.

Amazing, I know. Let's add a few more options because people can't read anyway.

>Personally I do find the current behaviour annoying. I have a 'News' category with several Guardian feeds, plus Slashdot and a few others, it's very easy for this to receive new articles whilst browsing through. Yes, I've conditioned myself to use a mix of "Mark Above as Read/Below as Read", and/or "Select all" > Mark as Read. But both of those are clumsy as compared to the naive expectation of "Mark as read" marking the visible articles as read.

Oh boo fucking hoo.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 28 Jul 2013, 23:39

Actions/Preferences
Automatically mark articles as read
This option enables marking articles as read automatically while you scroll article list.

tick that box, poof, fixed!

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 29 Jul 2013, 04:41

Thanks for the suggestion.
I just tried the 'Automatically mark articles as read'

Doesn't work in my use case.
I have the articles collapsed (Show content preview in headlines list) and I click the heading to expand the article if I want to read it and I use the 'embed_original' plugin if I want to drill down further, or, sometimes simply right-click (I have right-click links open in new tabs) to open the article in a new tab.
I use the mouse wheel to scroll down the list of headlines.
So, nothing happens to the articles in this case, even though I scroll the article list completely off the screen.

Additionally, the popup dialog that was shown in an earlier post is misleading, as the mark as read button only affects the currently selected feed, it only sets all articles to read if you are reading the 'Fresh' or 'All' pseudo feeds.

...Lyall

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 29 Jul 2013, 05:08

lyallp wrote:Doesn't work in my use case.

mumble mumble mumble impossible to please mumble mumble mumble

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 29 Jul 2013, 07:55

sleeper_service wrote:
lyallp wrote:Doesn't work in my use case.

mumble mumble mumble impossible to please mumble mumble mumble

:D

Return to “Support”