Fixing LibXML error "Extra content at the end of document"

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Fixing LibXML error "Extra content at the end of documen

Postby durval » 02 Aug 2013, 18:12

Hi feader,

feader wrote:
AngryChris wrote:I'm not looking to fan any flames here, but to provide a suggestion. Fox, would it be possible to somehow implement xmllint functionality in the application via official plug-in

It's not official, but a plugin already exists. I don't think that fetching a zip file and extract it into the right directory is to much to ask for. Someone could even make a Knowledge Base entry for this kind of stuff, so that every person with reasonable search skills can find all available solutions.

Thank you very much for the pointer. At last someone with a positive, constructive attitude here! :-)

Given the name of the plugin, I googled for it and, in the whole tt-rss.org site, it's mentioned exactly once, and with a very brief description (just "Lint/tidy plugin to repair invalid feeds"), so I do not feel too bad nor "unintelligent" for not being able to find it.

I think a plugin is much better than the feedclean.cgi approach I've found (and extended) here in the forum, and also better than coding it directly in TT-RSS (not only for not "corrupting the bodily fluids" of TT-RSS, but also for maintenability/portability purposes). I will test it here and see whether it fixes the problems with the feeds I've fixed with feedclean.cgi, and if it doesn't, just extend it and contribute the code.

Again, many thanks.

Cheers,
--
Durval.

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby durval » 02 Aug 2013, 18:35

Hi Fox,

fox wrote:
AngryChris wrote:I'm not looking to fan any flames here, but to provide a suggestion. Fox, would it be possible to somehow implement xmllint functionality in the application via official plug-in (meaning a plug-in that is distributed alongside TT-RSS)? I don't mean re-write things so TT-RSS itself "cleans up" or ignores bad XML or whatever, but put, say, a plug-in in the official app that makes xmllint (if installed on the system) easy to enable with a checkbox?

Plugin already exists, why bundle it?

So it's more easy to find?

It should be in the wiki index even.

Well, if you are refering to this page, no it isn't.

I just filled the register form on the wiki, waiting for the confirmation email to login and add the plugin there myself.

Cheers,
--
Durval.

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 02 Aug 2013, 19:42

durval wrote: At last someone with a positive, constructive attitude here! :-)

If you continue to talk like this, you may get me banned, or even worse, Bistroized :mrgreen:

You may also check out ff_FeedCleaner, which also could be configured to solve your problem, or even configured to do something like feedclean.cgi does (I'm really not sure what the latter actually does, as perl always looks like sed on speed to me).

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby durval » 02 Aug 2013, 20:08

Hi feader,

feader wrote:
durval wrote: At last someone with a positive, constructive attitude here! :-)

If you continue to talk like this, you may get me banned

God forbid! ;-)

On the other hand, if both of us get banned, we can always do like Bender in Futurama famously said:
"Screw this, I'm gonna open my own TT-RSS forum with blackjack and hookers. On second thought, forget the blackjack." :-) :-)

, or even worse, Bistroized :mrgreen:

Never heard that expression before. A little googling returns something that makes no sense at all in the above context... care to explain? I want to know whether I should live in fear of being Bistroized too. ;-)

You may also check out ff_FeedCleaner, which also could be configured to solve your problem, or even configured to do something like feedclean.cgi does (I'm really not sure what the latter actually does, as perl always looks like sed on speed to me).

Man, I think you are in trouble now... you have just been kind, constructive and helpful twice in a row, and didn't even call me any names! If you keep like that, people will start thinking this is a helpful place for someone trying to make the most out of TT-RSS and the resident skull-bashing nazis^H^H^H^H^Hfolks with an attitude can't have that, now can they? ;-)

Seriously now, many thanks for the additional pointer, it certainly sounds useful. Just posted testing it on my to-do list for this weekend!

Cheers,
--
Durval.
Last edited by durval on 02 Aug 2013, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.

Paulchen
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Paulchen » 02 Aug 2013, 20:14

durval wrote:

Never heard that expression before. A little googling returns something that makes no sense at all in the above context... care to explain? I want to know whether I should live in fear of being Bistroized too. ;-)

viewforum.php?f=23

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby durval » 02 Aug 2013, 20:17

Hi Fox,

feader wrote:You may also check out ff_FeedCleaner, which also could be configured to solve your problem, or even configured to do something like feedclean.cgi does (I'm really not sure what the latter actually does, as perl always looks like sed on speed to me).

BTW, this doesn't seem to be in the wiki either; will add it there too when (or is it "if"?) I get access.

Cheers,
--
Durval.

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby durval » 02 Aug 2013, 20:20

Hi Paulchen,

Paulchen wrote:
durval wrote:

viewforum.php?f=23

Ah, so it is local jargon meaning "to be placed in a spot of ridicule" (or something).
Thanks for the pointer ;-)

Cheers,
--
Durval.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 02 Aug 2013, 21:21

durval wrote:On the other hand, if both of us get banned, we can always do like Blender in Futurama famously said:
"Screw this, I'm gonna open my own TT-RSS forum with blackjack and hookers. On second thought, forget the blackjack." :-) :-)

I should ban you for getting Bender's name wrong.

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby durval » 02 Aug 2013, 21:29

Hi sleeper,
sleeper_service wrote:I should ban you for getting Bender's name wrong.

Oops, my fault. just fixed it, thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,
--
Durval.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 02 Aug 2013, 21:30

druval wrote:rant rant rant froth froth froth blah blah blah

after seeing you misspell Bender's name, and slogging through all your posts, I'm starting to think you misspelled your username here, too...

should have been "drivel"

Fox, can you fix that for him/her/it?

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby durval » 02 Aug 2013, 21:56

Hi sleeper,
sleeper_service wrote:
druval wrote:rant rant rant froth froth froth blah blah blah

after seeing you misspell Bender's name, and slogging through all your posts, I'm starting to think you misspelled your username here, too...

should have been "drivel"

LOL! :-) perhaps I should get my name legally changed! ;-)

sleeper_service wrote:Fox, can you fix that for him/her/it?

Nah, Fox won't fix it: he will just tell you to complain to my parents so they get me retroactively fixed, after all every problem must be fixed at its origin no matter how impractical that would be... :-) ;-) :-)

Cheers,
--
Durval.

gbcox
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby gbcox » 02 Aug 2013, 22:45

Durval wrote:Nah, Fox won't fix it

Oy Vey... you know, shouting from the rooftops that the sun revolves around the earth doesn't make it so. ttrss isn't broken. That's a fact. To insist that this project hack around others mistakes is simply inane.

It isn't impractical to ask people to fix their stuff. If they refuse, don't use their feed, choose another. I've pointed out to several feeds they had errors - they thanked me for reporting the issue and quickly fixed. It isn't hard.

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby durval » 02 Aug 2013, 23:17

Hi gbcox,

gbcox wrote:
Durval wrote:Nah, Fox won't fix it

Oy Vey... you know, shouting from the rooftops that the sun revolves around the earth doesn't make it so. ttrss isn't broken. That's a fact. To insist that this project hack around others mistakes is simply inane.

Sir, you sorely misunderstand me. Let me make myself as clear as I possibly can: I do not think TT-RSS is broken in any way: in fact, I think it's a wonderful piece of software, and I'm very grateful to Fox for having taken the time to write it, maintain and evolve it and yes, even hang around here at the forum bashing people's skulls in about it... I only ask that he do it more gently if at all possible :-)

I also agree that, whenever practical, it's always better to fix any problems at their source. But the fact is, sometimes it isn't; and at those times, it's best to fix them wherever you can, as the alternative is to leave things broken.

It isn't impractical to ask people to fix their stuff. If they refuse, don't use their feed, choose another.

Sure, with exactly the same content? Would you put them up for me? ;-) This is my point, simply wishing things weren't broken or that there were equivalent non-broken ones, or even giving up content just isn't practical either.

I've pointed out to several feeds they had errors - they thanked me for reporting the issue and quickly fixed. It isn't hard.

Well, your experience is completely different from mine. I reported problems to about a dozen feeds already, but only got back one or two replies, and those just told me that their feeds are just perfect, as they know that software X and Y and Z is able to read it without any issues, so the problem must be "at my end". And all I want is to read my news, I'm in no kind of religious crusade to make the world a better place for RSS or whatever.

But nothing of this is important: what is important is that now I'm aware (thanks to the awesome feader) that there is a solution that is acceptable by everybody: a ready-made plug-in to coax and massage the bad XML into a form that the main TT-RSS code will accept. If only that plugin was incorporated in the default TT-RSS distribution (or at least mentioned in the install page or in the wiki), it would have saved all of us a lot of time and grievance... that plugin is so far only mentioned at exactly *two* places now, in the original 6-word post that feader pointed to me, and in this very thread now.

So, again to make myself clear, I no longer propose that the main TT-RSS code handle less-than-ideal XML, only that the already existent plugin that does exactly that be incorporated in the TT-RSS distribution, or at least more proeminently displayed. In fact, I registered for a login at the wiki so I can do it myself: again, I think TT-RSS is a wonderful piece of software and just want to help make it better for everybody.

Cheers,
--
Durval.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 02 Aug 2013, 23:42

Why are you posting. Why.

durval
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee