Mark read older than issue?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Mark read older than issue?

Postby pcause » 27 Aug 2013, 15:59

I am a newbie, but I've searched and didn't see an answer to this. I just did a fresh install on Ubuntu, using nginx, postgresql and sphinx. I pulled the latest sources from github. I started importing my opml, which worked and I have all my feeds and they are updating. This morning I went to read and I have lots of older items from various feeds. I selected the "All articles" and then did a "mark as read older than 1 day". This didn't seem to work as I have articles displaying older than 1 day (example the date on 1 is May 10). Am I misunderstanding something or did I set something up incorrectly? Any pointers are appreciated.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Mark read older than issue?

Postby fox » 27 Aug 2013, 16:22

It could be working based on import date, I don't remember. What does the date in the tooltip say when you hover over displayed date?

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 27 Aug 2013, 16:47

It says imported at xx:yy August 26. I guess that means it works on imported and not published date. If you are setting up for the first time and using your existing OPML, you get a lot of old stuff and if you use imported how can the user delete these old articles? Just my opinion, but I would have expected the mark read to use the article published date. Unless a site has a really screwed up feed you wouldn't see really old published dates that are just being presented to the feed.

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 27 Aug 2013, 17:01

I was looking at the code and it seems to use a field "date_entered" in the query. I poked around the database and this is from the ttrss_entries table. I am just starting to look at the code/tables here, but it seems that the ttrss_user_entries is the place where the published data is kept. I guess since I have a new install I could try changing the query to use published instead and see what happens.

fox

Postby fox » 27 Aug 2013, 18:43

Changing it to use less reliable feed date because of this one edge case doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Normally I think import date is more important for judging how old is the article instead of whatever gibberish that may be in the feed.

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 27 Aug 2013, 19:28

You're the expert about what is good/crap in rss feeds sites send. I guess I can look at the code and then use the postgresql admin tools to do this if I ever need to again. Might be one of those things to add to the FAQ - steps to deal with this on a fresh install.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 27 Aug 2013, 19:49

I think it would be far easier to take solace in the fact that the function will work as expected tomorrow. Meaning, wait 1 day and the problem will resolve itself under the current design. I'm not convinced this issue rises to the level of "must be fixed." I'm not convinced it is an issue.

fox

Postby fox » 27 Aug 2013, 19:54

Yes, normally you don't get a huge dump of crap in the feeds and the dates should more or less correspond to each other.

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 27 Aug 2013, 21:49

Would it hurt anything to make the query date_entered OR published

That would handle both cases and I don't think hurt anything else. Anyway, as you say, not a big deal and only likely to happen when one subscribes to a new feed or when one imports OPML.

Return to “Support”