Sync Thunderbird and TT-RSS

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
LifeWOutMilk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Sync Thunderbird and TT-RSS

Postby LifeWOutMilk » 04 Sep 2013, 02:32

The lack of bears in this thread is disturbing.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 03:07

fox wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:hey, I'd use it, you'd maybe use it, what more do you need ;)

I wouldn't use it because ^. I actually ran self hosted email for a few months and the tedium of it is overbearing. It's not even worth it from tinfoil hat privacy perspective because unless you only email yourself everyone else is on some hosted service so NSA is going to read it anyway.

what tedium? set up postfix and spam assassin, a couple blocklists, and throw anything that gets through into a spam folder and let the shell scripts do the rest. pfft, easy peasy, and google can't shut it down.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 03:19

slemapa wrote:
fox wrote:
slemapa wrote:You know, a web based MUA is just another mail client and there are really not many good web based ones.

One is enough. Outlook.com is pretty okay too.

No, it sucks. ... But really, there is a better alternative - use both.

I'm starting to think you aren't a fan of web based email clients...

so, what DO you like?

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 03:51

fox wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:I'm not sure I get your point, what are you trying to say?

This is some kind of poetry I think. Wailing of a suffering ubernerd who is tragically denied IDN in gmail.

the only IDN that comes to mind for me is a mostly defunct cellular protocol...

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 04:43

Saliency wrote:What do you guys think of mailPile :P
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mailp ... -mail-back

I think it doesn't exist.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 09:00

slemapa wrote:rage

^ this is just lol, sorry

"Wake up, lethargic losers! The aspergers cavalry is here to save you from gmail!"

fox

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 09:14

sleeper_service wrote:what tedium? set up postfix and spam assassin, a couple blocklists, and throw anything that gets through into a spam folder and let the shell scripts do the rest. pfft, easy peasy, and google can't shut it down.

It's yet another thing you have to computer janitor; and the actual outcome is something that is objectively worse from the UX and functionality perspective from gmail/calendar. Roundcube, horde, w/e it's all terrible disfunctional crap.

If you put calendars and contacts sync into the mix because lol mobile you get to deal with caldav/carddav and amazing web clients for those are shit each and every one of them. Just look at this shit: http://www.inf-it.com/carddavmate/ then imagine using it.

Also, lol if you want push for any of it. It's like an endless ocean of shit you need to constantly dive in pointlessly just to ~stick it~ to google or ms or w/e. See how that IDN guy is raging impotently - buh buh buh IDN! buh GPG! grawr!

Anyway, it's not like you have to self host your mail to use comically obsolete desktop MUAs, last I checked gmail has IMAP access. It doesn't make software like thunderbird any less obsolete in 2013.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 09:25

fox wrote:Anyway, it's not like you have to self host your mail to use comically obsolete desktop MUAs, last I checked gmail has IMAP access. It doesn't make software like thunderbird any less obsolete in 2013.

well, yes, that *is* how I get to gmail 95% of the time. ;)

fox

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 09:39

sleeper_service wrote:
fox wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:I'm not sure I get your point, what are you trying to say?

This is some kind of poetry I think. Wailing of a suffering ubernerd who is tragically denied IDN in gmail.

the only IDN that comes to mind for me is a mostly defunct cellular protocol...

It's worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... omain_name

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 04 Sep 2013, 09:53

While your MUA's crashing, mine's multitasking, it reads all my mail without me even asking, in a pgp world you are a lol user, support IDN you lethargic loser!

fox

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 09:55

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 10:04

fox wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:the only IDN that comes to mind for me is a mostly defunct cellular protocol...

It's worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... omain_name

i'd googled that up and my first thought was 'wait, what? no, someones pulling my leg'.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 04 Sep 2013, 12:45

But you are opposing only two alternatives: self-hosted in a box you wholly control vs huge farms run by the internet giants. And there is a third: someone else hosts it for you and takes care of keeping the thing running, but the data are yours and you have your own domain and you don't add to the business of some gigantic NSA accomplice. As in <cough> shared hosting <cough>.

That's the way I see the whole self-hosted open source thing. Not empowering most people to run their own services (at least not in a long time) but empowering small providers (businesses or community providers) to survive and give people the option of not depending on one of the six global internet gigantic privacy-mining oligopolistic lobby-making fucks.

Plus, I still prefer Thunderbird interface and features over every other alternative. As a matter of taste.

fox

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 13:23

Small provider has fuck all leverage wrt "no I don't want to receive your email", so I guess have fun with that. While/if it works.

>And there is a third: someone else hosts it for you

This magical someone else.

lore27
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lore27 » 04 Sep 2013, 13:26

davidm, Exactly that is the way, for the very same reasons you mention, how I also setup my small business email(s). Than I agree there are certain services, like calendar, that for now work better hosted on Google. But hey, there isn't just Gmail and a self-hostes box with POP3!

Going back to the point: my initial question TT-RSS <--> TB sync was deemed stupid and ignorant because it is absolutely out using TB or any other desktop-mail client; there are now 3 pages of people like me that made their point why they like or need to use TB. The main sense of the replies is that desktop clients are just stupid, that could be a coding opportunity instead.

Return to “Support”