Sync Thunderbird and TT-RSS

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Sync Thunderbird and TT-RSS

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 19:13

Oh I was using sperg as a catchall demeaning term for people who tend to rant about shit like important badges or IDN. No offense meant to legit aspies.

fox

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 19:15

Saliency wrote:Get cancer.

Now, now, let's be civil. Around here we post bears instead.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 19:47

Saliency wrote:Lore27, how much are you willing to pay to have your old shit migrated?

I already know the answer, not enough.

I have switched from thinking your ignorant to thinking you are a stupid fuck.

Get cancer.

now now, let's try and remember the proper usage of your and you're, your means 'something of yours' so it's clearly not the right usage here. you're is a contraction of "you are" (notice the apostrophe denoting where letters were taken out), clearly what you actually meant to say.

also, wishing for him to get cancer is probalby a good sized ding on your karma. tsk.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 19:51

jmjf wrote: I think it's a bad case of self-important-stick-up-butt syndrome--you can call 'em sipsubs for short.
where'd the 'p' come from? wouldn't it be sisubs?
jmjf wrote: but few people know how to use Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, and all the other non-Latin languages.
well, probably the Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, to name but a few billion.

jmjf
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jmjf » 04 Sep 2013, 20:27

sleeper_service wrote:
jmjf wrote: I think it's a bad case of self-important-stick-up-butt syndrome--you can call 'em sipsubs for short.
where'd the 'p' come from? wouldn't it be sisubs?

But a sipsub would want an extra letter so they feel more important. :)

sleeper_service wrote:
jmjf wrote: but few people know how to use Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, and all the other non-Latin languages.
well, probably the Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, to name but a few billion.

Sorry, I meant how many people know how to use ALL those different keyboards so they can type email addresses in Chinese, Thai, Korean, Arabic, and every other language.

Next thing you know the IDN people will want us to call email courriel (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/courriel) in France and correo electronico in Spanish, etc. If Abu Dhabi had created the Internet and email and the like, we'd be using Arabic headers. But everyone knows Al Gore "took the initiative in creating the Internet," so it's in English. :) (Al Gore invented pants too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEYo6aQCWtU)

slemapa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby slemapa » 04 Sep 2013, 23:41

sleeper_service wrote:I'm starting to think you aren't a fan of web based email clients...
so, what DO you like?

Well, a web based email client is just another email client. Some are better than others but, of course, I generally like the fact that they I can access them from everywhere, but that's only one feature. There are other features that are important like threading, like support for html mail, like IDN, like pgp-support etc.
I like roundcube (web based, ok threading, supports IDN, ok support for html-mail, but not very fast interface), I like thunderbird (the beta since it supports IDN while the stable branch does not yet, nice threading, ok support for html mail, support for pgp), I like mutt for some things (it even supports utf-8 local part, but lacks in other aspects) etc. Gmail has some problems - the threading is just brain dead, html mail is not ok, IDN is not supported and it is not easy to use pgp/gpg, and the same goes for hotmail (and what followed when I checked last).

fox

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 23:50

lol you seriously think idn is as important as universal access and abortion of IMAP/roundcube threading is better than gmail conversations.

keep on sperging and godspeed. hope you wake the lethargic sheep or w/e.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

slemapa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby slemapa » 05 Sep 2013, 05:38

fox wrote:lol you seriously think idn is as important as universal access and abortion of IMAP/roundcube threading is better than gmail conversations.

LOL!
IDN is very important since without it you are not able to send emails to a number of domains. You know, being able to send emails is the most basic feature of an email client. Defending an email client that does not support IDN, a now old standard, is, well, just dumb. But since hotmail/gmail/exchange webmail client are fucked up you most often get by, which makes universal access more important than IDN the same way having IE was more important than having a decent browser in the days of the browser wars.

Gmail conversations are no conversations. It's just grouping together emails that happen to have the same subject, which is, well, also just dumb. Hotmail, and whatever came after, works the same way and exchange email does as well. It's stupid!
Roundcubes threading is far from the best, I agree, but it's better than *no* treading and fucked up "conversations" threading.
In gmail I get mails from cron jobs that are mixed up because of the fucked up "conversations". I get emails in "conversations" that do not belong in the conversations because the subject just happens to be the same. It happens every single day with gmail. "Conversations" break because the subject is changed. It's FUCKED UP!
It's just impossible to follow a mailing list discussion with more than a few mails since they all get mixed up i gmail. You really can't tell what email another email is an answer to without reading them and then you miss stuff - what was really in the email that the email you are reading is an answer to? You have to search for it. And it's sometimes totally impossible to know what the answer is answering without inspecting the message headers. FUCKED UP!
And, for example, exchange webmail client isn't better when it comes to threading and worse when it comes to IDN. I tested it with IDN and it was so badly fucked up everyone should cry. It allowed me to send emails to an IDN, but 1) it sent the emails to another domain based on some seemingly random permutation of the ASCII letters in the IDN and 2) it indicated it had sent the emails to some other seemingly random permutation of the ASCII letters in the IDN. The developer should be shot for something like that!
This is what you defend. Come on, get your head out of the sand and see reality, most web based email clients are bad except for being just web based.

I constructed a number of html mails to test how well they were rendered in the email clients. Many web based ones really SUCK, among them gmail. However for example roundcube did not and neither did thunderbird.

On top of this comes the lack of support for pgp/gpg. I've been arguing for years about the fact that you give out your life to google etc if you use gmail and that google may sell the information to others. I was right. Google were giving it away to NSA and thus to every other western security organization. But this is not the really bad part. The really bad part is that without signing you can't even tell from whom the more important emails you get are.
How could any sane person argue that anyone should use an email client that doesn't support encryption and signing? It's beyond me.
It's just stupid.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 05 Sep 2013, 05:43

slemapa wrote:
fox wrote:lol you seriously think idn is as important as universal access and abortion of IMAP/roundcube threading is better than gmail conversations.
tldr

you're really big on the walls of text...

btw, is your real name Don Quixote?

idn, so critical, nobody knows it exists.

slemapa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby slemapa » 05 Sep 2013, 06:33

sleeper_service wrote:
slemapa wrote:
tldr

idn, so critical, nobody knows it exists.

Maybe you are ignorant, but why do you think it's so?
And I'm not criticizing just the lack of support for IDN. It's only one of many problems together with no threading, no support for pgp/gpg, bad support for html mail, slow interface, sub standard filtering etc.
Besides being web based, the web based email clients are most often just bad email clients.
One day you may find yourself in the position of getting a very important email without really knowing who the sender is. Then you may understand that email is more than just sending smileys to your old kindergarten friends.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 05 Sep 2013, 07:02

slemapa wrote:One day you may find yourself in the position of getting a very important email without really knowing who the sender is. Then you may understand that email is more than just sending smileys to your old kindergarten friends.

grampy, your assumptions are quite amusing, and you clearly don't know who you're talking to, even though you assume you do.

I know a thing or two about email, and mail servers, (news servers too, but that's another kettle of fish).

you're just fun to poke with a stick when you come in here frothing at the mouth about stuff that nobody, in this forum, gives a rats ass about.... and, for the record, my favorite email client is tb, after getting tired of not being able to easily read all this crappy html mail people kept sending me when i was using mutt.

now, you might just want to take a valium and sit down, before you blow a gasket and spend the rest of your life with someone having to wipe the drool from your mouth after your stroke.

cheers.

ps, someone who relies on email for something "very important" deserves what they get. ta.

fox

Postby fox » 05 Sep 2013, 09:14

It's FUCKED UP! yo

e: FUCKED UP!

e2: my kindergarten friends are mostly on irc though, IT'S FUCKED UP!

slemapa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby slemapa » 05 Sep 2013, 10:05

sleeper_service wrote:
slemapa wrote:One day you may find yourself in the position of getting a very important email without really knowing who the sender is. Then you may understand that email is more than just sending smileys to your old kindergarten friends.

grampy, your assumptions are quite amusing, and you clearly don't know who you're talking to, even though you assume you do.

The only thing I assume is that encryption and signing is important for serious use of email. I don't understand how anyone can do without threading and filtering.
Besides that I don't assume anything so your'e welcome.
I can do without html mail. IDN is not a big thing (but it should be) and that's in part because of ignorant american web mail clients. UTF-8 local part should be a big thing but is far away.

sleeper_service wrote:I know a thing or two about email, and mail servers, (news servers too, but that's another kettle of fish).

Well, nice, so do I.

sleeper_service wrote:you're just fun to poke with a stick when you come in here frothing at the mouth about stuff that nobody, in this forum, gives a rats ass about....

Apparently you do and fox did. He started spitting at desktop MUA:s despite web based email clients feature wise are where desktop MUA:s were long ago. It's ok using web based email clients but they have a number of short comings.

sleeper_service wrote:now, you might just want to take a valium and sit down, before you blow a gasket and spend the rest of your life with someone having to wipe the drool from your mouth after your stroke.

No need for valium.

sleeper_service wrote:ps, someone who relies on email for something "very important" deserves what they get. ta.

Well, with encryption and signing it's not worse than anything else. There's no delivery guarantee but in practice that's seldom a problem and you can ask the recipient to get back to you immediately after reading the email (yes, that's somewhat a circle reasoning but in practice it works and it gives you and indication if further steps are necessary). So signed and encrypted email works perfectly for important stuff and I don't know of any other more convenient way to securely deliver messages.

fox

Postby fox » 05 Sep 2013, 10:12

My fav part about this meltdown is how we're slowly proceeding from "gmail filtering and threading is kinda bad" (which is lol-worthy in itself compared to thunderbird and imap-based roundcube but w/e) to "how can you live ~without~ threading and filters, IT'S FUCKED UP!"

There but for the grace of God, etc.

>No need for valium.

Yeah it's definitely not going to cut it.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 05 Sep 2013, 10:15

I am a professional email sender/receiver with more than ten years of experience and I would like to concur with some points other email professionals made in this topic.

I also resent the implications made by mr. eyeball up there, this kind of behaviour is simply not acceptable amongst us professional emailists.

Return to “Support”