Getting "UPdate daemon not running" error after upgrading to

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
joshp
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Getting "UPdate daemon not running" error after upgrading to

Postby joshp » 22 Sep 2013, 20:32

Been using TT-RSS for some time. Having an odd error. I am using cron to update my jobs (because I don't understand how to create a startup script that will daemonize update.php in ubuntu server). It seeems to work well for me, or always has. When I update to 1.10, I started to get the pop-up error in the web-page of my TT-RSS "Update daemon is not running", which is odd, since feeds appear to be updating jsut fine. I removed the /path/to/ttrss/lock/update.lock file and it still gave the error.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this might be happeneing? Or perhaps point me in the right direction to automagically have this daemonize at server startup on Ubuntu server to see if that will resolve the error?

Thanks for your work on this project, it is one of my absolute favorite scripts, and thanks in advance for any reply.

Josh

joshp
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Getting "UPdate daemon not running" error after upgradin

Postby joshp » 22 Sep 2013, 20:43

fixed my own problem, I had to remove all 3 lock files in /path/to/ttrss/lock, not just update.lock.

Hope this maybe helps someone else out.

martywd
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby martywd » 22 Sep 2013, 21:44

joshp wrote:fixed my own problem, I had to remove all 3 lock files in /path/to/ttrss/lock, not just update.lock.

Hope this maybe helps someone else out.

The v1.10 update is a first for me (updating through the browser client). All previous version moves were new installs. I made the mistake too of NOT killing the '../update_daemon2.php' on the server before starting the update and ended up with several /update...php process running (and the 'not running' error) after completion of the v1.10 update.

perhaps point me in the right direction to automagically have this daemonize at server startup on Ubuntu server

I'm successfully running the tt-rss update daemon as a service on U 12.04.3 LTS. Download the Debian tt-rss package (I downloaded tt-rss_1.9+dfsg-1...), expand (dpkg -x ...), and take a peek at what the Debian folks did to the service to get it to work. With some minor /path/to/ modifications I was able get a functioning tt-rss updater service which works perfectly. Even does logging.

Next tt-rss update, I'll be sure to _stop_ the 'update_daemon2.php' process first!

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 23 Sep 2013, 03:16

On Ubuntu Server using Upstart, I have this Upstart job running:

Code: Select all

# tt-rss - Tiny Tiny RSS
#
# This job runs the feed updater for Tiny Tiny RSS.  This is not the main
# application itself, this is merely the feed update daemon.

description     "Tiny Tiny RSS feed updater"

start on runlevel [2345] and (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn

setuid www-data
setgid www-data

pre-start script
    test -x /var/www/tt-rss/update_daemon2.php || { stop; exit 0; }
    test -c /dev/null || { stop; exit 0; }
    test -f /run/postgresql/9.1-main.pid || sleep 30
end script

exec /var/www/tt-rss/update_daemon2.php

I've not moved PostgreSQL to an Upstart job hence the check for the database lock file. If you setup PostgreSQL as an Upstart job, you can create a dependency between TT-RSS and PostgreSQL. I believe MySQL is already an Upstart job.

Anyway, this will log the output of the update script under /var/log/upstart/tt-rss.log (assuming the name of the file you place in /etc/init is tt-rss.conf).

I post this so that you can get moving in the direction of Upstart assuming you're going to stick with Ubuntu. While the advice above for cracking into the Debian package is fine, any efforts you invest in that direction will get you a sysvinit setup which is deprecated.

joshp
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby joshp » 23 Sep 2013, 06:37

Rightous, so, if I read right, all I need to do is place a file called "ttrss" in /etc/init that contains this info, and I'm good to go on the next reboot? Ir am I missing a step in here? Also, thank you.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 23 Sep 2013, 09:39

It's actually called tt-rss.conf and then you can start and stop the service thusly:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~$ sudo initctl stop tt-rss
tt-rss stop/waiting
[email protected]:~$ sudo initctl start tt-rss
tt-rss start/running, process 32332
[email protected]:~$

Do keep in mind that the configuration there assumes PostgreSQL 9.1 on Ubuntu Server 12.04. You may need to modify it for your own system (but that bit should be self-explanitory). Once you get that going, there should be no need to reboot. If the service fails to start when you invoke it with initctl, just correct the job configuration file until it works. You can, of course, reboot to test it and make sure it does start successfully on reboot.

As an alternative to initctl, Upstart is backwards compatible with the 'service' command.

While you're doing that, this is a great reference for Upstart: Upstart Intro, Cookbook and Best Practises.

Return to “Support”