Update Questions

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
riw777
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 17:15

Update Questions

Postby riw777 » 30 Sep 2013, 17:16

Y'all:

I run on a VPS server, and have a cron job set to run:

usr/local/gin/php /home/riwus/public_html/feeds/update.php --feeds

every minute. There are a couple of things I don't understand. The first is the relationship between the cron job and the "default feed update interval" in the preferences section --should I just set this to "disabled," because I have the cron running? Or do I need to set this to 15 minutes, or something, to get it to update, as well? What's the relationship between these two?

Second, the cron job appears to be the only way I can get updates --the script won't background (according to the docs?), and I can't keep screen or some other method connected all the time to keep a console window open. But --it doesn't look, to me, like the cron is running, because I don't ever get any updates. There aren't any error logs on the server (I've taken "quiet" off the options in the cron, above), and the error log in tiny tiny rss just tells me the daemon isn't running --which isn't very useful information, because I know it's not running, since I can't keep it running in the background.

How do I sort all of this --should I leave the updates to disabled in the preferences, or set it to some number, like 15 minutes? Why, when I run the update manually, does it sometime say there are no scheduled feeds? Is this somehow related to the 15 minutes set in the preferences, or is this set someplace else?

Confused.

Russ

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Update Questions

Postby fox » 30 Sep 2013, 18:07

> The first is the relationship between the cron job and the "default feed update interval" in the preferences section --should I just set this to "disabled," because I have the cron running?

what the christ

how could anyone come to this conclusion is beyond me, go read the wiki page

riw777
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 17:15

Re: Update Questions

Postby riw777 » 30 Sep 2013, 18:43

fox wrote:> The first is the relationship between the cron job and the "default feed update interval" in the preferences section --should I just set this to "disabled," because I have the cron running?

what the christ

how could anyone come to this conclusion is beyond me, go read the wiki page


What a rude and absolutely useless answer. How about just answering the question? If there's a page someplace that explains this, it wouldn't hurt you to point me to it. The update page says nothing about the preferences setting:

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... atingFeeds

It does talk about cron jobs, but nothing about any sort of relationship to the preferences setting for frequency of updates. In fact, the cron job isn't running, and I don't see anything in any log I've looked at that tells me why.

There's nothing in the faq:

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... dQuestions

In fact, I can't find anything about the preferences section on the wiki here:

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/

I did find something in the faq about your rudeness, in which you claim it's a result of your lack of time. As an engineer for 20+ years, most of that time on the pointy end of customer support, I've always found "I don't have time" to be a poor excuse for rudeness. Get off your high horse. I'm not stupid, I simply can't find the answer --and you claiming the answer is "out there someplace," doesn't help me to find the answer. Instead of being rude, send me a pointer. I know how to read, but I don't have a crystal ball.

Russ

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Update Questions

Postby sleeper_service » 30 Sep 2013, 18:54

you apparently don't know how to use the search feature on the forums either.

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Update Questions

Postby fox » 30 Sep 2013, 18:58

riw777,

Here's a tip: if you can't figure out the arcane and puzzling connection between feed updater worker job and feed update interval, posting indignant rants re: you not being stupid is really not the best idea.

riw777
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 17:15

Re: Update Questions

Postby riw777 » 30 Sep 2013, 19:02

fox wrote:riw777,

Here's a tip: if you can't figure out the arcane and puzzling connection between feed updater worker job and feed update interval, posting indignant rants re: you not being stupid is really not the best idea.


So you've wasted a lot of energy being rude. How about spending two seconds and sending a pointer?

Russ

riw777
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 17:15

Re: Update Questions

Postby riw777 » 30 Sep 2013, 19:04

sleeper_service wrote:you apparently don't know how to use the search feature on the forums either.


Searching for "periodic update," gives one hit that doesn't relate to the problem at hand.

Again, you've both spent a lot of time being rude, how about spending two seconds sending me a pointer to an actual answer?

Russ

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Update Questions

Postby fox » 30 Sep 2013, 19:06

I find it perplexing that you would rant and beg instead of thinking a bit. Is it really that hard? Have you never done it before?

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Update Questions

Postby sleeper_service » 30 Sep 2013, 19:26

riw777 wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:you apparently don't know how to use the search feature on the forums either.


Searching for "periodic update," gives one hit that doesn't relate to the problem at hand.

I particularly like how you make up a search term that's not referenced anywhere else, search on it, and then complain that it doesn't give you any hint of what you want.

is the field you were questioning called "periodic update"? no, then why would an even semi rational being search on that? (note to self, maybe this is why people have trouble operating google)

"I want to learn about honey badgers!"
*brings up browser with google home page*
*types in "google"*
*goes to the input bar, types in" sweet critters
"I don't see anything about honey badgers, google is stupid! I'll froth an email to [email protected]"
"why'd my email bounce?"

hrk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster
Posts: 75
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 12:39

Re: Update Questions

Postby hrk » 30 Sep 2013, 20:41

I'll help you.

cron job runs @ period you set in cron.

feed are retrieved @ update period you set in preferences (global, or for each one).

There.

riw777
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 17:15

Re: Update Questions

Postby riw777 » 30 Sep 2013, 21:06

hrk wrote:I'll help you.

cron job runs @ period you set in cron.

feed are retrieved @ update period you set in preferences (global, or for each one).

There.


Thanks --this is what I assumed. So --the cron job runs the update, which then checks the period at which each feed should be updated (set in the CLI), and checks those who's timers are asleep. That's my understanding, but again, it's not documented anyplace, so I wanted to be certain.

Russ

vilain
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 40
Joined: 29 Jun 2013, 08:57

Re: Update Questions

Postby vilain » 30 Sep 2013, 21:19

Although, based on the tone of response in this Forum, you should expect this answer:

Sure it documented. In the code.

In truth, I've found most of what I was looking for by pawning through the code. Some of the things that have surfaced like "MySQL has gone away" are still having me scratch my head.

If you just want 1 nob to twiddle, set the update interval to 1minute in the preferences, then set the cron tab to run at whatever interval you like. Anything less than 15 minutes will most likely get your IP address banned by the RSS feed (especially Feedburner), so be aware of that.

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Update Questions

Postby fox » 30 Sep 2013, 21:32

it won't work without other changes, there is a minimum hardcoded interval.

riw777
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Aug 2013, 17:15

Re: Update Questions

Postby riw777 » 01 Oct 2013, 00:49

vilain wrote:Although, based on the tone of response in this Forum, you should expect this answer:

Sure it documented. In the code.

In truth, I've found most of what I was looking for by pawning through the code. Some of the things that have surfaced like "MySQL has gone away" are still having me scratch my head.

If you just want 1 nob to twiddle, set the update interval to 1minute in the preferences, then set the cron tab to run at whatever interval you like. Anything less than 15 minutes will most likely get your IP address banned by the RSS feed (especially Feedburner), so be aware of that.


Okay --thanks! That's what I needed to know... I'll poke around a bit and see what else I can figure out.

Russ


Return to “Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests