"Mark as read" behavior

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
HunterZ
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

"Mark as read" behavior

Postby HunterZ » 14 Oct 2013, 19:27

I've noticed that, at least in 1.10, the "mark as read" button at the top of the article list pane marks *all* articles as read for the feed being shown, even if some new items have come in since the user chose to display that feed. This is not likely to be desirable behavior in most situations, as the user will not know what those new, undisplayed items are that are being marked.

Is it possible to change "Mark as read" to avoid marking new items in the feed that have not yet been displayed?

I am using "combined feed display" mode, in case that matters.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: "Mark as read" behavior

Postby fox » 14 Oct 2013, 20:02

"whoa mark as read button marks shit as read how unintuitive plz fix"

bonus points for searching before posting

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

xaberus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby xaberus » 14 Oct 2013, 23:03

@HunterZ
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1027&hilit=mark+as+read
tl;dr: if you are using the keyboard your feeds are already marked; if you are using the mouse, click right on the last feed title and mark all above feeds as read (or press c n)

@fox
fox wrote:This is a valid issue, but on the other hand marking feed as read and suddenly seeing unread stuff in it might be equally confusing and annoying. Not sure what's best here.

What is worse, having to mark feed twice or having to reset feed sorting order and article visibility every time this issue happens...
Proposal: Red warning text in the confirmation message stating that there are unread updates :D

fox

Postby fox » 14 Oct 2013, 23:17

>Proposal: Red warning text in the confirmation message stating that there are unread updates :D

Nobody reads anything anyway.

HunterZ
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby HunterZ » 14 Oct 2013, 23:20

If the problem is that different users will have different expectations, then it seems like something that could be handled by a setting in the preferences menu. There are already multiple settings in there that are related to marking things as read, so there's even a precedent for it.

fox

Postby fox » 14 Oct 2013, 23:24

I think at this point you are going for a banme cliche trifecta here. Good jerb.

vilain
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby vilain » 15 Oct 2013, 00:08

Fox, I was going to post "Pay no attention to that little man behind the curtain", but you're way ahead of me.

Seriously, this isn't broken. PEBKAC error.

Return to “Support”