Question about the forum: Why are you all assholes?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Question about the forum: Why are you all assholes?

Postby fox » 25 Mar 2014, 23:20

Waddles!

auggy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby auggy » 26 Mar 2014, 02:14

fox wrote:Waddles!

Yes! Man, season 2 needs to hurry up and start.

MichaelTunnell
LMAO What?

Re: Question about the forum

Postby MichaelTunnell » 16 Nov 2014, 20:36

charlie-tca wrote:I have to think the answer is that not all of us are assholes. Further, the ones answering the questions for the most part are the same people all the time. This is true in any forum, of course. Unfortunately, those few will often get tired of being asked the same thing over and over. It is quite difficult to continue being kind and answering the same questions with the same answer after a long period of time. (that long period being anything from 1 hour to years, depending on the person.) (Yes, I know this give me some backlash, but I don't care any more, either.)

That would be a valid point if it were true. I know people get frustrated so that portion is certainly true but the idea that it only happens then is false.

I was ridiculed for trying to contribute by submitting a bug. Fox just told me that my device was broken, maybe it was but completely dismissing me instead of trying to figure out the cause is not a reasonable reaction. I then asked him to clarify how it could be the device when it worked before but due to an update the bug was introduced...then the rest of the thread contained people insulting and mocking me. (I even earned a mock rank because of it) [hrk was attempting to be helpful so at least some aren't assholes, even if it is rare]

There are many instances where people get ridiculed for a question that seems as if they are not searching but in reality all of the searches just result in finding threads where people are responding by telling them to search. If links to previous threads were provided or link to the FAQs was provided then the search results would actually be helpful but right now you have a 50/50 chance of whether you get an answer or a loop.

The solution is simple, make a FAQs directory (sort of have I know) and freaking use it.

Instead of you all insulting people for wasting your time, how about you just do this...

-------

What should I use - MySQL or PostgreSQL?

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... dQuestions

--------

Do you find enjoyment in having a forum where everyone who provides support is considered an asshole? Do you like the reputation of "Tiny Tiny RSS is great software but cross your fingers or pray that you never need to ask for help on their forum"?

If so, then continue ...but why not just provide the simple link explaining where it was previously answered? It is easier to do that and you wouldn't have to explain why you are all assholes.

and yes...

LMAO What?

fox

Postby fox » 16 Nov 2014, 23:21

MichaelTunnell wrote:
charlie-tca wrote:I have to think the answer is that not all of us are assholes. Further, the ones answering the questions for the most part are the same people all the time. This is true in any forum, of course. Unfortunately, those few will often get tired of being asked the same thing over and over. It is quite difficult to continue being kind and answering the same questions with the same answer after a long period of time. (that long period being anything from 1 hour to years, depending on the person.) (Yes, I know this give me some backlash, but I don't care any more, either.)

That would be a valid point if it were true. I know people get frustrated so that portion is certainly true but the idea that it only happens then is false.

I was ridiculed for trying to contribute by submitting a bug. Fox just told me that my device was broken, maybe it was but completely dismissing me instead of trying to figure out the cause is not a reasonable reaction. I then asked him to clarify how it could be the device when it worked before but due to an update the bug was introduced...then the rest of the thread contained people insulting and mocking me. (I even earned a mock rank because of it) [hrk was attempting to be helpful so at least some aren't assholes, even if it is rare]

There are many instances where people get ridiculed for a question that seems as if they are not searching but in reality all of the searches just result in finding threads where people are responding by telling them to search. If links to previous threads were provided or link to the FAQs was provided then the search results would actually be helpful but right now you have a 50/50 chance of whether you get an answer or a loop.

The solution is simple, make a FAQs directory (sort of have I know) and freaking use it.

Instead of you all insulting people for wasting your time, how about you just do this...

-------

What should I use - MySQL or PostgreSQL?

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... dQuestions

--------

Do you find enjoyment in having a forum where everyone who provides support is considered an asshole? Do you like the reputation of "Tiny Tiny RSS is great software but cross your fingers or pray that you never need to ask for help on their forum"?

If so, then continue ...but why not just provide the simple link explaining where it was previously answered? It is easier to do that and you wouldn't have to explain why you are all assholes.

and yes...

LMAO What?

good ppost

sirkingchase
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sirkingchase » 06 Feb 2015, 05:45

This forum takes the cake of biggest asshole forum on the internet. I thought the Arch Forums were bad but then Google stopped hosting RSS so I found these assholes :lol:

They do respond to all questions and generally the questions gets answered ( after being degraded of course :wink: ). Just take it on the chin and appreciate the support.

Personally, I think its a cultural thing. But I do enjoy the entertainment, I know that the answer is probably in the reply but fox gave them hell first

MeechMan
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby MeechMan » 07 Feb 2015, 01:59

Most of fox's comments make me think "Russian Douchnozzle".

But the last one on the periodic releases may have converted me. The self-proclaimed "security experts" are fucking annoying.

auggy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby auggy » 07 Feb 2015, 03:50

MeechMan wrote: "Russian Douchnozzle".

Just curious how his nationality / location comes into play? Are you still mad about Apollo Creed?

fox

Postby fox » 07 Feb 2015, 10:46

cool racism itt

glo0m
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby glo0m » 09 Feb 2015, 22:40

Hi fox and all other assholes,

I'm using tt-rss since some time middle of last year, after Opera decided to make a complete new browser, without any functionality. (Looking for an alternative RSS-reader)
I'm following the forum, because it's a standard feed in the fresh installed server.
It's running on my home-server without any issues and collecting ~100 feeds every 15 minutes since then. Since I'm connecting only locally, or from outside via OpenVPN, I don't care much about "periodic" updates (Security etc.). The server is able to do everything that I want, and even a lot more.

I don't care, if you are really all assholes, but your software is really great!! I don't want to get into all details, but only the keyboard shortcuts in the Webinterface and the embedded view of websites are two of the most awesome features.

So long, and thanks for all this crazy shit,
glo0m

LiveWire
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby LiveWire » 03 Apr 2015, 15:36

AngryChris wrote:This forum should be thought of as (to use an IT term) Tier 3 escalation. You're your own Tiers 1 and 2. Put some effort in and people here will be willing to think about your problem.

Let's build up on that, I know both sides:

• being nagged with low effort questions
  • being ridiculed for not spending enough effort

None of these are enjoyable from my point of view. How about:

• L1: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way, because if you run TTRSS you should have read this or something comparable.
  • L2: SE Webmasters, SE Webapps also comes to my mind, but:
    For managing and maintaining your own hosted web application please ask on Pro Webmasters

• The best solution would be to suggest a [ttrss] tag on meta (or create it yourself if you have enough reputation) and have the interested users of the TTRSS community follow this tag (or the whole site).
    • The tag is not particularly necessary, more a convenience, you should start suggesting this support call flow now!
    • Requiring users to post a useful SE question can be very mean in its own terms and more productive.
  • L3: Tiny Tiny RSS forum, after you have done all this

Of course you can mix L1 and L2 as you like.

ziffusion
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ziffusion » 10 Jul 2016, 02:31

Not assholes. Just fucking children.

Return to “Support”