Ctrl+click does not open links in article in background tab

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
lgp171188
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Ctrl+click does not open links in article in background tab

Postby lgp171188 » 06 May 2014, 20:54

Ctrl+click is the default shortcut for "open links in background tab" in Firefox web browser, but since tt-rss has defined the same as the shortcut to open an article in a new tab, the default browser behaviour doesn't work when ctrl+clicking the links in the article which instead of opening the link in a background tab opens the article in a background tab.

While you might suggest that clicking the link directly will open the link in a new tab, it doesn't open it in a background tab and instead opens it in a background tab which is not the same. I opened a bug report on the redmine issue tracker, but the bug was closed as a "wontfix" and my account locked without giving me a chance to explain. So I am posting this as Andrew asked me to use the forums. Is this a known issue and are there any workarounds?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Ctrl+click does not open links in article in background

Postby fox » 06 May 2014, 21:19

>it doesn't open it in a background tab and instead opens it in a background tab which is not the same

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 06 May 2014, 22:14

lgp171188 wrote:Ctrl+click is the default shortcut for "open links in background tab" in Firefox web browser, but since tt-rss has defined the same as the shortcut to open an article in a new tab, the default browser behaviour doesn't work when ctrl+clicking the links in the article which instead of opening the link in a background tab opens the article in a background tab.

While you might suggest that clicking the link directly will open the link in a new tab, it doesn't open it in a background tab and instead opens it in a background tab which is not the same.

am I the only person here who isn't taking enough drugs to understand this gibberish?

instead of x it does x.

water is wet! file a bug!

fox

Postby fox » 06 May 2014, 23:08

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/issues/813

this kinda stuff is one of the reasons registration on the tracker is disabled

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 07 May 2014, 00:42

Although I concede the poster has a funny way of describing it, I do see the same behaviour: if I ctrl-click on whatever link on whatever page, it opens a new tab in the background. If I do it in tt-rss, it opens a new tab and switches to it.

Behaviour does not immediately bug me, and I don't know if it's a feature, but I can reproduce.

/goes and sits in corner now

fox

Postby fox » 07 May 2014, 01:16

there is no way (at least i'm not aware of it) to reliably control this behavior, it is defined by the browser and differs between browser implementations

my advice for the op would be to get over it

agb
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby agb » 07 May 2014, 02:50

The OP could try configuring Firefox to suit:

In the location bar enter about:config

Find browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground and set it to true

Ctrl+clicked links should now open in a background tab. Be aware it may impact other ways you use Firefox - links you want to open in a new tab and pop to the foreground may not.

martywd
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby martywd » 07 May 2014, 02:57

I'm not sure this applies to the most recent version of firefox? But in Tab Preferences of FF28 there's this option:

When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately: When you middle-click on a Web link (or hold down Ctrl-command while clicking with the left mouse button), the page will be opened in a new tab. That page will not be displayed and will load in a background tab. Check this option preference to load and display the page in a new foreground tab instead.
Attachments
firefox28_tab_prefs.png
...open a link to new tab, switch to it immediately
firefox28_tab_prefs.png (63.52 KiB) Viewed 5592 times

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 07 May 2014, 03:21

johnnychicago wrote:Although I concede the poster has a funny way of describing it, I do see the same behaviour: if I ctrl-click on whatever link on whatever page, it opens a new tab in the background. If I do it in tt-rss, it opens a new tab and switches to it.

Behaviour does not immediately bug me, and I don't know if it's a feature, but I can reproduce.

/goes and sits in corner now

if the op means that it opens in a foreground tab, instead of a background tab, he shoulda said that. which, I believe, is what you said.

myself, I use middle click for open in background tab, and left click for open in foreground tab, and have no problems ;)

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 07 May 2014, 10:24

But see, not everybody has a middle click :)

Mostly laptops, I guess, though.

The funny things is how ctrl-click is behaving differently in tt-rss than on a vanilla html page. I do remember stumbling over it probably half a century ago and thought that was weird. Back then, IIRC, it did even behave differently on a Firefox in Linux vs a Windows Firefox. It confused me, but I seem to have gotten over it.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 07 May 2014, 18:57

I'm not seeing any difference in behavior between "expected" and TT-RSS in Firefox or Safari on my Mac or in Firefox on Windows 7. When I cmd-click or ctrl-click (Mac vs. Windows) it works as expected, opening the linked article in a background tab (i.e.; opening a new tab but not switching to it immediately).

lotrfan
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby lotrfan » 08 May 2014, 06:37

I think what the OP is referring to is ctrl+clicking on a link within the content of the article. Doing so opens the *article* (not the actual link) in a background tab.

It actually looks like ctrl+clicking anywhere within the article will open the article in a background tab. I'm assuming this is expected behavior?

Anyway, https://github.com/lotrfan/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... f71185580d should make it so that ctrl+clicking links opens the link instead of the article.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 08 May 2014, 10:28

oh thaaaat's what OP meant

yeah, that is actually valid point, imagine that!

fox

Postby fox » 08 May 2014, 10:41

This was the most idiotic way to describe a bug. Congratulations everyone who helped decipher it.

Now for the actual issue: ctrl-click open in background should only work on article headline (as per interface tips on the wiki), it overriding clicking on content links was a bug.

https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... 6b129c6dd4

lgp171188
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lgp171188 » 08 May 2014, 12:37

Thank you for your honest compliment!

Quoting the first paragraph from my first post in this thread,

"Ctrl+click is the default shortcut for "open links in background tab" in Firefox web browser, but since tt-rss has defined the same as the shortcut to open an article in a new tab, the default browser behaviour doesn't work when ctrl+clicking the links in the article which instead of opening the link in a background tab opens the article in a background tab."

I would like to know what part of the above para is not clear that it needs people to decipher it. This is the actual issue that I had raised in the bug tracker to which Andrew had closed my bug report and locked my account. He also added that instead of ctrl+clicking links in the article, I could just click them. My reply to that was the 2nd paragraph which had an unintentional typo - "it doesn't open it in a background tab and instead opens it in a background tab which is not the same" as I had intended it to be "it doesn't open it in a background tab and instead opens it in a foreground tab which is not the same". Since I didn't get any email notifications of replies to my post I assumed that no one has replied to my post and didn't bother looking back. Instead of being so condescending and elitist a simple query asking me to explain in detail might have helped.

Return to “Support”