Plee for help with Filter regex expressions

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
BushAl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Plee for help with Filter regex expressions

Postby BushAl » 31 May 2014, 06:23

As a recent convert to TTrss first thanks for a great tool. However i am having all sorts of problems getting my head round the regex expressions in filters.
For example simple one word filtering works fine for me as do simple alternative paterns so using recent Ars Technica page http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/r ... r-headset/ both samsung and (xbox|oculus) match the page.

However trying to match the categories on that page (<a href="/discipline/android">Android</a> and <a href="/discipline/geek-toys">Geek Toys</a>) or any part of them does not work for me. For example a filter of (android|discipline|geek|toys) does not include this page though it does include others where those words apear in text.

Idealy I would like to include certain categories and therefore a filter like (discipline/android|discipline/geek-toys) would be perfect.

It seems that only the "text" portions of the page are searched - is there a way to search the whole of the html?

Any help would be very much apreciated or if anyone was very kind could they post examples of their more complex filters to help out this and other newbies.

dajhorn
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Plee for help with Filter regex expressions

Postby dajhorn » 31 May 2014, 18:56

Keep in mind that the content of an RSS feed is not the same as the web page it points to. The HTML elements that you want to match may not be in the RSS feed.

Look at how things like af_feedmod and other plugins process the DOM to preload content. If you actually need to match page code, then you might need to write some PHP code.

Past that, the TT-RSS web interface doesn't escape the '<' or '>' characters in regular expressions, so you are probably stuck on anything that looks like HTML.

BushAl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Plee for help with Filter regex expressions

Postby BushAl » 01 Jun 2014, 02:53

Thanks for that which explains all - (my typical newbie assumption). I'll go play with af_feedmod which looks as if it will do just what I want.

Thanks again

Return to “Support”