A pray for the return of the read/unread button (Android)

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
pahles
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: A pray for the return of the read/unread button (Android

Postby pahles » 26 Nov 2014, 22:21

atrus wrote:I'll try explaining my logic on read/unread and starred.

Unread means I haven't taken the time to read something yet. Read means I've finished it, and done anything and everything I plan to do with it. That may mean publishing it, or starring it. To me, starring means "I read this, found it interesting". That's kind of vague, but then again or doesn't come up much. It's kind of like a " like" or a "favorite" to me.

I've never especially thought of starring as meaning "come back to this later", or like a to-do list.

My unread articles are the ones I go through when I open the app.

I guess another way to think of my flow is that I treat " unread " as "needs to be read".

For people that use star to mean come-back-later, what's your work flow like when you come back to it later? Do you have a single view that includes unread and starred articles? Or do you handle those separately?

Why do you star articles if you never go back to them? You put them on a list of "likes" or "favorites" as you call them, but then don't do anything with them?

bastage
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bastage » 26 Nov 2014, 22:52

pahles wrote:Why do you star articles if you never go back to them? You put them on a list of "likes" or "favorites" as you call them, but then don't do anything with them?

For me it was because as I understand the system "Starring" something means it won't ever get deleted from the database and can be searched for and found at any point later. I use it as a really quick way of collecting anything I found interesting once "officially" read.

I use tt-rss like atrus does so my default view is "Unread" and I have various groups I tend to hit when on my PC and others when I'm on my phone. On my phone I might only have 4 minutes to check hot news items while my car is idling waiting for my slow friend so if it turns out that at the top of a feed that usually has articles that only take two seconds to scan through there's a larger article with more pictures or video or whatever keeping it "Unread" while going through all of the other quick ones below it can be a pain.

At the same time that article definitely isn't something I would use "my" version of how "Stars" are used since later on it means I would have to actively look for articles I typically "stumble" over during my normal 99% pattern of reading unread articles and almost never actively going into my star folder.

Definitely not the end of the world since there are workarounds and other methods but I'm a fan of "Unread".

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 26 Nov 2014, 23:26

you people are weird and your use cases are retarded, hope that helps

disconn3ct
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby disconn3ct » 27 Nov 2014, 00:44

What is the "new" way to view all new plus any "postponed" entries in that situation? (Something that was opened on mobile/etc and postponed for later.)

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 27 Nov 2014, 00:51

are you dumb? star something, you'll then see it on top of starred feed, read it or whatever, and unstar

it's not rocket science people

e: bonus lol at people using unread instead of adaptive, smh

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 27 Nov 2014, 01:20

maybe if they all got together they could bribe you enough to make a 'later" category. :)

bastage
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bastage » 27 Nov 2014, 01:39

fox wrote:are you dumb? star something, you'll then see it on top of starred feed, read it or whatever, and unstar

I'm not at all arguing this doesn't work and also realize the pain I'll get for kicking a bees nest around the bear, but my "Star" feed is a jumbled bunch of random stuff I liked enough to keep in the database forever. The other problem is you can't really rely on the order of articles in the star folder since if you're catching up on an old thread starring an item could make it show up deep into the star list depending on sort order.

Can you clarify when an article is never purged ..? If I went into my star folder with the intent of cleaning it out so I could use it as a quick "unread" method what's the best suggestion to make sure an article will show up in a potential search three years from now ..?

I'm pretty sure "Publishing" keeps them from being removed but I use that feed for other stuff, and I couldn't find it just now but I recall another thread where you said you shouldn't manually archive items. (If I'm wrong about that then I guess that's the answer.)

Assign a label ..?

koalabear7410
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby koalabear7410 » 27 Nov 2014, 01:51

I've got a hideous "Mark Read/Mark Unread" button on every post per a ridiculous hack, auto-mark-read disabled everywhere it was coded, and a hot-key added for "mark above as read". I read everything oldest-first. Most of my feeds are twitter streams. My gerbil's name is Ralph.

I am - The Most Sperglord Man In The World™.

disconn3ct
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby disconn3ct » 27 Nov 2014, 02:00

fox wrote:are you dumb? star something, you'll then see it on top of starred feed, read it or whatever, and unstar

it's not rocket science people

e: bonus lol at people using unread instead of adaptive, smh

That puts it in a different feed (starred).

I'm just pointing out that there is in fact a reduction in function - starred things are split out into a new feed, vs continuing to appear in their "organic" position(s) in the original categories.

(Just tested on the web, since you're suggesting adaptive view is the issue - starred your post, refreshed all articles and its gone.. It is under starred and that's it, even with adaptive on. Obviously web is a non-issue since the keyboard shortcuts rock, but I haven't go the app laying around right now.)

bastage
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bastage » 27 Nov 2014, 02:04

You're not wrong, but we're also talking about a (fantastic) RSS feed aggregator. Wouldn't it be more shocking if this wasn't sperglord central ..?

atrus
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby atrus » 27 Nov 2014, 03:27

disconn3ct wrote:That puts it in a different feed (starred).

The other catch there is that starred articles don't automatically get unstarred when you then go back to read them when you have time - and you can only really expect that behavior on the read/unread status. Marking unread really is like saying "undo" for starting to read something you (often in hindsight) realized you didn't want to (or were unable to) finish reading.

Given how prominent the "mark unread" button is in gmail, I'm surprised more people's workflows aren't like this. (Or that they're quiet about it)

cgrinds
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby cgrinds » 27 Nov 2014, 05:15

atrus wrote:Given how prominent the "mark unread" button is in gmail, I'm surprised more people's workflows aren't like this. (Or that they're quiet about it)

I suspect many peoples workflows are similar. The recent increase in the number of 1 and 2 stars on the store and reviews say as much.

People are quiet because of the vitriol in this forum, but that's the way fox wants it so nothing we can do about it, like it or lump it.

Despite all the negative, I'm still thankful for ttrss and all the work fox has poured into it. I'm also happy it's open-source. I, like others on Github, have reverted the mark unread behavior and will just maintain a fork now. Oh well.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 27 Nov 2014, 08:02

Every time an autistic uses the word workflow when referring to reading some shit on his phone, a kitten dies horribly. Autistics probably don't care, though.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 27 Nov 2014, 09:16

I, like others on github,

bastage
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bastage » 28 Nov 2014, 10:32

cgrinds wrote:I suspect many peoples workflows are similar. The recent increase in the number of 1 and 2 stars on the store and reviews say as much.

People are quiet because of the vitriol in this forum, but that's the way fox wants it so nothing we can do about it, like it or lump it.

Obviously we love these programs and I'd suspect any of us coming to the forum to give some detailed examples about why a feature might be useful as opposed to someone else who would just go on Google Play and rate 1 star and rant about the lack of a particular feature probably renders out to two different classes of end user.

fox doesn't owe us shit and I appreciate that too, but overall sooooo much about it all works almost exactly how if I had the capacity to build an awesome server and then an awesome client that when there's something like this where it feels like heels are being dug deeply into the dirt "just because that's not how that feature should be used" instead of embracing the fact that the product is so diverse that it supports a bunch of different methods the entire thought is dismissed out of hand is frustrating since I don't have the time or ability to become a great coder to fix my particular request.

I'm fine with saying "oh well" about that since goddamn tt-rss is fantastic and the android client is great so the rest is icing.

@fox,
I can't tell if this whole "unread" thing has become kind of a silly joke but an issue I've noticed that is related is that if I'm browsing on my phone/tablet with "Automatically mark articles as read" to "On", if I select an article and then scroll, and then select another article and scroll, and then select another article and scroll, if I hit the "Unread" icon it doesn't do anything to articles that aren't literally visible on the screen.

If I have "X" amount of articles higher up in a current thread I'm reading check marked shouldn't whatever action I'm provided by you apply to them all assuming I haven't refreshed ..?

Return to “Support”