Android app deny refresh when there is no internet?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
qwertasd
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Android app deny refresh when there is no internet?

Postby qwertasd » 14 Jan 2015, 17:09

Hey, I am a huge fan of tt-rss but there is one thing that really bother me.

On my way to work there is for about 30 minutes no internet connection so I usually start the app before, scroll a few times to the bottom to make the app download more feeds. When I dowloaded enough feeds or the internet goes away I scroll back to the top and start reading.
The problem is when I scroll one time too often up I make this app force a refresh but without internet connection it just throws everything away and I can't do anything for the 30 minutes.

Is there a way to get a better offline mode?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Android app deny refresh when there is no internet?

Postby fox » 14 Jan 2015, 18:12

I'm sorry but in year 2015 I expect internet to be reliable and design accordingly. You can use offline mode (set it to download minimum amount of articles so it would go faster?) or some other app, I guess.

qwertasd
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby qwertasd » 14 Jan 2015, 18:31

I already tried several other tt-rss apps and even some fever apps with the simulated api but nothing works as good as the original tt-rss app with an internet connection.

Maybe I should try building myself an app and include this stuff and make the app sync my read articles when internet connection is available again.

I don't like tt-rss offline mode because I can't get all feeds bundled anymore, I would have to click through tons of different feeds with just 1 or 2 articles which isn't really comfortable. And the download itself takes for some reasy way longer than the download when I scroll through and let it download when I reach the bottom which is nearly instant

But anyways thank your for your response!

jamesbond
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jamesbond » 15 Jan 2015, 01:37

Maybe is a better solution for you.

mbazdell
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mbazdell » 12 Mar 2015, 16:40

fox

Postby fox » 12 Mar 2015, 17:13

maybe i should remove offline mode altogether hmmm

T4b
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby T4b » 12 Mar 2015, 21:47

I don't know on which cloud you live, fox, but here around mobile internet is flaky and expensive.

So yes, I too would like the app to have an option to auto retrieve feeds for offline use (thats about half the time I use my phone).

fox

Postby fox » 12 Mar 2015, 22:16

idk maybe stop living in bumfuck wilderness or whatever and join us superior 21st century denizens basking in glorious lte.

anyway, i don't see what is there to discuss here. you're free to want things that i will never give you but realistically the only change that is going to happen with offline functionality is me axing it when i finally get bored enough maintaining it. those are the breaks, if you don't like how it is just use something else.

T4b
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby T4b » 13 Mar 2015, 00:09

There is nothing to discuss here, you are absolutely right. I was just stating my opinion. If I really want it enough I'll add it myself (it's GPL after all if I remember right).

JaceAlvejetti
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby JaceAlvejetti » 26 May 2015, 18:40

Fox,

Not adding to either argument, Though I would ask you leave offline mode, I know I have no real power, and as you say I have every right to use something else, I like your product. Its simply the best I have found, and i have stopped looking because of it.

I have LTE on the two phones I carry, Work and Personal, but I prefer my feeds on my tablet where easier to read and not paying for tethering plans.

I'm not here to argue, just give another opinion, which like assholes everyone has so you may just skim this and not care, which is your right you wrote this beautiful software which i will never stop thanking you for.

An idea though many may not agree with, why not for the select few, make offline sync an add on in android and a separate purchase? I would gladly pay another $5~$10 for it..

fox

Postby fox » 26 May 2015, 20:18

sorry dude reworking offline is out of the question, it's just not gonna happen.

JaceAlvejetti
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby JaceAlvejetti » 26 May 2015, 21:33

Can't say I didn't try, again I appreciate your efforts, your software and most of all your time. All are precious and I apologize for wasting it.

Very least unless something major breaks please don't remove the current work offline. I can see not wanting to work on it, but please don't cut it until need be.

Regards,

Jace

Return to “Support”