Unread First + Oldest First Sort Issues

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
ardichoke
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Unread First + Oldest First Sort Issues

Postby ardichoke » 17 Mar 2015, 00:11

Hello, I've encountered what I think is a bug in the display layer of tt-rss. I searched around Redmine and the forums but didn't find anyone else resporting it. When I set tt-rss to Unread First and Oldest First, my feeds end up sorted in the following order:

Starred, oldest to newest (these may only be at the top by coincidence, I think all my starred articles are older than all my other read articles)
Read, oldest to newest
Unread, oldest to newest

It almost seems like it is loading the articles, grouping them into read/unread, sorting them newest to oldest in each group and then just inverting the whole list when it should be loading the unread articles, sorting them according to the sort preferences (possibly loading them into the display at this point), then loading the unread articles, sorting them and displaying them. If I had any experience with PHP and javascript, I'd dive in and try to debug it, but I'd probably end up doing more harm than good.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Unread First + Oldest First Sort Issues

Postby fox » 17 Mar 2015, 01:59

second checkbox overrides first when the first one is not a filter but a sorting criteria (i.e. unread + oldest first works correctly, unread first includes all articles technically so it gets reverted afterwards).

i think unread first is the only one that is broken in this fashion, i'll just remove it altogether because it's not really needed anyway (adaptive does pretty much the same thing). i'm not sure why is it in there in the first place.

php & javascript has nothing to do with any of this, sorting is done by the database.

e: removed, use adaptive or unread instead.

ardichoke
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ardichoke » 17 Mar 2015, 15:31

Thanks for the reply, didn't realize the sorting was being done in the database and not the display layer.

From when I was searching around, it looks like you (or another dev, I don't remember offhand right now) created the Unread First option because at one point you changed the way Adaptive worked so that it would show unread articles at the top then read ones below it (instead of unread articles only if there were unread articles, and all articles otherwise) and that change confused people, so you reverted the Adaptive filter and created Unread First. That's actually what prompted me to try out Unread first and notice the issue, because I would like to use that filter if it worked properly (unread at top, sorted in the requested manner, follwed by read articles).

Is this something you would consider accepting a patch for if I ever found time to dive in and write it, or do you consider it pointless and a waste of time?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 17 Mar 2015, 15:39

I don't think unread first is special enough to warrant keeping it in the toolbar so it's gone forever. Adding it was a mistake, I guess.

ardichoke
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ardichoke » 17 Mar 2015, 15:54

Noted, won't waste my time then. Thanks for the replies.

Return to “Support”