Possibility to restrict user actions?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
svet
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Possibility to restrict user actions?

Postby svet » 15 Jul 2015, 21:46

Hi guys,
First of all thanks for a really cool product! I've been using it for a while and it works great. I'm currently setting up a TT-RSS server to be used in a slightly different context, and I wanted to see if anyone has advice on how I can achieve what I'm looking to do.

I'm setting up a wi-fi hotspot for sharing the latest news stories for a community in Tanzania. The hotspot server itself has a modest mobile data connection, which is used to pull a few RSS feeds (with full-text stories) ever 6 or 12 hours or so. The users can log in to the hotspot and access these stories via the TT-RSS server, from a single user account. The hotspot, however, doesn't generally allow users to access the wider internet.

In this context, I'm looking for the best way to restrict the actions a user can carry out - in particular, I'd like to stop users from:
- unsubscribing or subscribing to feeds, and changing feed settings
- manually triggering a feed refresh
- changing preferences otherwise

I imagine this will require some changes to the source code, rather than standard settings (unless I'm missing something). I'm ok with that, but I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on the best way to achieve this, before I go and make some possibly ugly hacks.

Thanks a lot!
Svet

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Possibility to restrict user actions?

Postby fox » 15 Jul 2015, 22:45

that's not really what tt-rss is designed for, you can probably adapt it but i'd suggest using something else or making your news site from scratch.

you can salvage some parts like the lightweight feed parser i wrote because simplepie was hilariously shit.

svet
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby svet » 16 Jul 2015, 00:13

Hi fox, thanks for the quick response. I know what I described is a far cry from the target use case, but I thought I'd check in case you had any pointers on how to go about making the modification.

Regarding alternatives, I haven't really found other self-hosted RSS readers that would be any better for this but I'd obviously welcome suggestions. I had a go at caching the actual site content (not RSS), which for the most part works ok but is not particularly bandwidth-friendly, and prone to various glitches.

Rolling something from scratch seems like a bit of a duplicate effort, given that tt-rss (+plugins) gets me 99% of the way there - and I just need to *subtract* a couple of bits, rather than add extra functionality. Either way, I'll have a rummage through the code and see where I get to. If there are any other ideas/pointers you've got my attention.

randompherret
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby randompherret » 16 Jul 2015, 01:43

You might look into a way to make your own front end using the API. It should be easy to start with a fresh page and using something like react or angualr to do it all in. Just don't link up the things you want to block.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 16 Jul 2015, 08:08

that's a good idea

Return to “Support”