Use of HTTP/1.0 interfering with retrieving a feed (with possible solution)

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
hosemn
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Use of HTTP/1.0 interfering with retrieving a feed (with possible solution)

Postby hosemn » 12 Aug 2015, 19:23

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Use of HTTP/1.0 interfering with retrieving a feed (with possible solution)

Postby fox » 12 Aug 2015, 19:42

this makes sense although you really should be using curl

format this change as a git format-patch and attach it here, i'll apply it

either that or gitlab etc

>Side note: I was a little disappointed that tt-rss didn't make more of an effort to notify me that the feed was failing to parse. It wasn't showing up red in my tree on the left since I had read all of the articles and had hidden feeds which had zero unread items. Since it had zero unread items, it didn't show up in the list so I couldn't see it was failing. That's a separate issue, and more of a UX discussion than a technical "it's broken" discussion. Back to our regularly scheduled bug report:

i could probably add a visible knob somewhere although im not sure if its such a good idea because feed fetching may just fail intermittently and tt-rss doesn't count sequential update errors

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 12 Aug 2015, 21:19

What if feeds with errors always appeared in the feed lists, even if "hide with no unread" was checked? That way people would know and the UI wouldn't really need any other changes.

fox

Postby fox » 12 Aug 2015, 21:25

what if the category is collapsed

i dunno

HeikoAdams
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby HeikoAdams » 12 Aug 2015, 21:43

I felt free to create the attached patch
Attachments
use_http11.patch
Patch to use http 1.1
(879 Bytes) Downloaded 93 times

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 12 Aug 2015, 21:44

Oh, yeah. Plus, like hosemn, I don't have a lot of feeds. But if a user has a lot of feeds it serves to reason that there will always be feeds with errors, which could be annoying.

fox

Postby fox » 12 Aug 2015, 21:47

i think that's how it worked at some point btw now that i think about it, maybe this was lost with the switch to dojo

i did a quick change and it seems to work ok, although i didn't test the nested categories

fox

Postby fox » 12 Aug 2015, 21:48

hosemn
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby hosemn » 12 Aug 2015, 22:43

HeikoAdams, thanks for the patch.

Fox, I think there are a few options for alerting the user to failed feeds, which you've already started to explore:

1. Show failed feeds in the tree even if all items are read (I believe you made mention earlier to already putting a commit in to move this functionality into production, no?)

Cons: You're right, this could get annoying for users with many many feeds, as there is a high probability that at any given moment a feed will have some transient error.

2. Maybe show a button in the top navigation bar, and it could only show up when one or more feeds are having an error, and you could click on it to bring up the "Feeds with errors" window and see what's up.

Cons: Again, for users with many feeds, this might always be present, and could still get annoying.

3. Track feed failures on a short-term basis and if a feed fails some number of times in a row (5, 10, 20) only then have the feed show up in the tree marked "red" for error or bring up the "Feeds with errors" button in the top pane.

Cons: Might require a new database table, and definitely requires more code, so I'm not going to bitch too hard about asking for something like this. For real. I've been using tt-rss since Google Reader was canned, and this is like the first time I ever had a problem that I had to work for more than 15 minutes to figure out. I'm impressed.

Lastly, Fox, I didn't realize that curl was recommended. I've been using for a while without curl, so it just never occurred to me. It's also not mentioned in the installation notes, the curl extention for php wasn't a default option from my distro, and tt-rss worked out of the box without it. Thanks for pointing out that I should switch. FWIW, I grabbed the curl extension for php from my distros repo now, but I still thank you for considering my bug and already getting the updated code into the codebase. A quick git reset --hard and a git pull and I'm right back to the bleeding edge. You're the man.

fox

Postby fox » 12 Aug 2015, 22:48

1. i think keeping error'd feeds visible is a good enough compromise which doesn't add new ui elements.

2. i think it's out on the wiki there somewhere that curl is recommended. it's not really a big deal. some plugins depend on curl, that's about it.

e: https://tt-rss.org/gitlab/fox/tt-rss/wi ... ilityNotes here i guess

Return to “Support”