Issue with af_readability

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Issue with af_readability

Postby xtaz » 20 Nov 2015, 12:58

Since the last commit to clean up the curl hacks I've noticed that af_readability doesn't seem to be working. All my feeds which used to have it enabled are now just showing the real feed contents and not the readability parsed version. Has a bug been introduced there?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Issue with af_readability

Postby fox » 20 Nov 2015, 13:10

af_readability seems to be working fine here. are you running w/ open_basedir restrictions enabled?

this is the only change to the plugin in the cleanup changeset, not sure why it could be broken now:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/plugins/af_readability/init.php b/plugins/af_readability/init.php
old mode 100644
new mode 100755
index cfdcb69..6216d51
--- a/plugins/af_readability/init.php
+++ b/plugins/af_readability/init.php
@@ -106,8 +106,7 @@ class Af_Readability extends Plugin {
                        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
                        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, true);
                        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_NOBODY, true);
-                       curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION,
-                               !ini_get("safe_mode") && !ini_get("open_basedir"));
+                       curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, !ini_get("open_basedir"));
                        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, SELF_USER_AGENT);

@$result = curl_exec($ch);

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 20 Nov 2015, 13:17

I am running with open_basedir enabled yes. But it does include the whole directory that tt-rss is in and the /tmp directory. open_basedir = "/usr/local/www:/tmp". I'll try disabling it and will see what happens.

fox

Postby fox » 20 Nov 2015, 13:22

it's not really the issue with directories you allow, problem is it forbids curl from following any http redirects, which is why the really horrible hack was in place previously. why? i have no idea

so it's either not enabling open_basedir (personally i think its its a useless kludge which provides false sense of security, much like safe_mode was previously), not using curl (define NO_CURL in config.php), or getting used to tt-rss not following http redirects.

i can add a separate check into af_readability to disable content-type checking if open_base is enabled but it can easily lead to tt-rss downloading a huge-ass jpeg file or something like that and trying to feed it to readability libraries which may produce suboptimal results, at least used-traffic wise.

i think i'll link this post in the faq

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 20 Nov 2015, 13:25

Ahhh interesting. I have previously seen feeds randomly fail and when you read why it failed it says something like 302: forbidden. Then when you press f-r it loads the feed fine. That might explain that then? Maybe I will just leave it completely disabled then!

fox

Postby fox » 20 Nov 2015, 13:35

the previous implementation, being a shitty hack, might not have worked at all times, yes

latest commit should allow to get af_readability to work (well I hope) by force-disabling CURL although imo CURL is more valuable than open_basedir

the choice however is yours

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 20 Nov 2015, 13:56

Yep thanks for the advice. I'm just going to leave open_basedir disabled. I ran for years without it with no problems, it just causes problems, and the fact I have /tmp as one of the directories probably makes it pointless anyway. And yes, disabling that means I am now getting full feeds again. So problem solved!

Return to “Support”