Double entries

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
Fischi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 7
Joined: 06 Jul 2016, 13:46

Double entries

Postby Fischi » 06 Jul 2016, 13:55

Hi there
I wonder why my ttrss shows always (only) this feed with doubled entries although the feed haven't such doubled entries.
I removed the subscription and add it again without any success.

Any ideas?

Feed address
http://t3n.de/news/feed/

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-06 um 12.47.22.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-06 um 12.47.22.png (396.89 KiB) Viewed 7853 times

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Double entries

Postby fox » 06 Jul 2016, 14:37

one idea would be reading the rules and the stickies

e: in any case, the only possible cause of duplicates is feed being broken (i.e. article guids not being used properly).

Fischi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 7
Joined: 06 Jul 2016, 13:46

Re: Double entries

Postby Fischi » 06 Jul 2016, 15:57

one idea would be reading the rules and the stickies


Which rules? Where I can find it? And why is this post a problem in this conjunction?

in any case, the only possible cause of duplicates is feed being broken


So there is no problems with your "feed test page" for this feed url and also I never saw this behavior in other native rss readers like Leaf, Newsflow nor with the Feedly service

Cheers

Fischi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 7
Joined: 06 Jul 2016, 13:46

Re: Double entries

Postby Fischi » 06 Jul 2016, 16:02

one idea would be reading the rules and the stickies


So ok found the rules - I overlooked it before. Anyway - don't know in which part of my post in conjunction with the rules should be a problem as I tested this feed in several ways before I posted the post

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Double entries

Postby fox » 06 Jul 2016, 17:11

>So there is no problems with your "feed test page" for this feed url

if the feed changes unique identifiers of specific articles you won't be able to see it if you run the feed once through the parser for obvious reasons, you need to compare two sets of data to see what has changed. there is literally no other reason for a duplicate article to appear in the database.

>and also I never saw this behavior in other native rss readers like Leaf, Newsflow nor with the Feedly service

other readers may be less strict with data they process.

>So ok found the rules - I overlooked it before. Anyway - don't know in which part of my post in conjunction with the rules should be a problem as I tested this feed in several ways before I posted the post

that really is not for you to decide. either you go by the rules and provide information that is mandatory for this subforum or you don't post here. i'm not going to, for example, sit here guessing what tt-rss version you're running and stuff like that.

in any case, there's really not much to add here and i'm reasonably sure that tt-rss is working as intended. you can either ask the feed owners to fix their permalinks, accept this behavior, use tt-rss bulit-in heuristic duplicate detection functions, or use some other reader. whatever works for you.

linoth
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 May 2013, 11:34

Re: Double entries

Postby linoth » 06 Jul 2016, 20:40

The truth might actually be more interesting. I'm not sure why, but this issue piqued my curiosity, so I figured I'd at least poke it and see what was going on.

I opened the feed in Firefox and hit Ctrl+U to see the source and what kind of mess it was. The guid looked like it was a link to a unique identifier for the article, so it seemed weird that it might change unless for some reason whatever they ran behind the scenes reassigned IDs after an edit, and they edited a lot? So I hit Ctrl+R, and it reloaded as http://feeds2.feedburner.com/aktuell/feeds/rss/ instead, with the actual feed source changing as well. Getting the original feed back was something of a chore, so there's probably some load balancing going on.

The original URL used <guid isPermaLink="false">http://t3n.de/news/?p=722357</guid>, but the feedburner version used <guid isPermaLink="false">http://t3n.de/news/platzhalter-722357/</guid>, so while their guid is inconsistent, the cause was unexpected.

Hypothetically might be able to avoid the problem by strictly fetching only the feedburner version, if that avoids the redirect ever happening. Otherwise, yeah, this is a "who needs to follow standards?" problem, rather than a TT-RSS one. Not much that can be done about that, other than trying to code around other people's sloppiness, and why should we have to do that?

Fischi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 7
Joined: 06 Jul 2016, 13:46

Re: Double entries

Postby Fischi » 06 Jul 2016, 23:32

that really is not for you to decide. either you go by the rules and provide information that is mandatory for this subforum or you don't post here. i'm not going to, for example, sit here guessing what tt-rss version you're running and stuff like that.


I'm using V1.63.. I'm very sorry if you are missing some information which I should provided.
But it's no reason to hand out bad mood here... It seems to be one of the typical behavior in forums of the linux environment to use a rude language to reprove new users with a wagging finger. It could be much more easier and helpful to link to a post which describe the failed post as to reprove like a teacher... sorry for this open words

In any case, there's really not much to add here and i'm reasonably sure that tt-rss is working as intended.


OK

... use tt-rss bulit-in heuristic duplicate detection functions, or use some other reader. whatever works for you


Thank you but this leads me to the follow up problem:
This preference is missing in my preferences pane - don't know why and I found no hint in the net which could be the reason therefor. Also if I reset the settings it isn't visible

Thank you for your help

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-06 um 22.27.12.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-06 um 22.27.12.png (336.14 KiB) Viewed 7429 times

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 373
Joined: 20 Aug 2013, 23:13

Re: Double entries

Postby JustAMacUser » 07 Jul 2016, 00:21

Fischi wrote:I'm using V1.63.. I'm very sorry if you are missing some information which I should provided.
But it's no reason to hand out bad mood here...


A lot has changed since the very first release ten years ago so without knowing the version, how can anybody possibly help? For all we know the bug you're describing was patched years ago.

Fischi wrote:It seems to be one of the typical behavior in forums of the linux environment to use a rude language to reprove new users with a wagging finger. It could be much more easier and helpful to link to a post which describe the failed post as to reprove like a teacher... sorry for this open words


It's fox's software and his forum, ergo, his rules. You don't have to like it, but you do have to respect it if you want support.

Fischi wrote:
... use tt-rss bulit-in heuristic duplicate detection functions, or use some other reader. whatever works for you


Thank you but this leads me to the follow up problem:
This preference is missing in my preferences pane - don't know why and I found no hint in the net which could be the reason therefor. Also if I reset the settings it isn't visible


I'm pretty sure it's a plugin that relies on PostgreSQL.

Back to the issue at hand: linoth already identified the root cause of the issue. You should contact the site owner(s) to fix the issue or use the built-in tools, or write a plugin to fix it. All are viable solutions. I'd start by contacting the site owner since it benefits him/her to have a properly working site.

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Double entries

Postby sleeper_service » 07 Jul 2016, 01:55

Fischi wrote: I'm very sorry if you are missing some information which I should provided.
But it's no reason to hand out bad mood here... It seems to be one of the typical behavior in forums of the linux environment to use a rude language to reprove new users with a wagging finger. It could be much more easier and helpful to link to a post which describe the failed post as to reprove like a teacher... sorry for this open words


hooooboy.

what is it with zipperheads like you that think it's appropriate to blunder into someone else's domain, and then "wag their fingers at someone about that persons 'finger wagging' in their own place.

it'd be like me inviting you into my home, asking you to wipe your feet, and you going off on me about how polite I should be towards YOU as you tromp mud on my carpets.

not to mention, not bothering to read the rules, much less follow them.

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Double entries

Postby fox » 07 Jul 2016, 08:06

"people seem to dislike the way i'm behaving in online communities, obviously must be their fault, not mine"

Fischi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 7
Joined: 06 Jul 2016, 13:46

Re: Double entries

Postby Fischi » 07 Jul 2016, 10:52

I'll quit here and leave this forum. ... I don't like this very arrogant and rude messages of some of you. Have you any time tried to see your forum with the eyes of a new member? Obviously you haven't! The rules are only visible in sub forums but not in the board index. Also the search function will not offer the forum rules. The faq link is so tiny that it is very easy to slip over it.

As I also not found the point to delete my account I ask you to do this asap.

@sleeper_service
To continue the metaphor: It seems to be you invite people, hide your rules and censure they if they not follow them - to rub your dissatisfied ego. If you unsatisfied with your life it isn't a reason to move your frustration to other people. But of course a typically behavior in internet forums as people like you use it to relieve their aggressions. If you like to reprimand people why you do this not in front of a mirror? Would you identify each objection in the real world as an aggression? Would you talk in the real world with the same rude words, with the same impoliteness? No you wouldn't - but here you are so faceless and this make it so easy for people like you to be rude! Bye!
It's not neccessary to answer as I'm not willing to read further posts.

User avatar
fox
^ me reading your posts ^
Posts: 6318
Joined: 27 Aug 2005, 22:53
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Contact:

Re: Double entries

Postby fox » 07 Jul 2016, 11:26

Fischi wrote:I'll quit here and leave this forum. ... I don't like this very arrogant and rude messages of some of you. Have you any time tried to see your forum with the eyes of a new member? Obviously you haven't! The rules are only visible in sub forums but not in the board index. Also the search function will not offer the forum rules. The faq link is so tiny that it is very easy to slip over it.

As I also not found the point to delete my account I ask you to do this asap.

@sleeper_service
To continue the metaphor: It seems to be you invite people, hide your rules and censure they if they not follow them - to rub your dissatisfied ego. If you unsatisfied with your life it isn't a reason to move your frustration to other people. But of course a typically behavior in internet forums as people like you use it to relieve their aggressions. If you like to reprimand people why you do this not in front of a mirror? Would you identify each objection in the real world as an aggression? Would you talk in the real world with the same rude words, with the same impoliteness? No you wouldn't - but here you are so faceless and this make it so easy for people like you to be rude! Bye!
It's not neccessary to answer as I'm not willing to read further posts.


i'm crying, on the inside

User avatar
kierun
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee
Posts: 27
Joined: 16 Feb 2016, 11:43

Re: Double entries

Postby kierun » 07 Jul 2016, 12:07

fox wrote:i'm crying, on the inside


Oh no! Look what you have done @Fischi, you big meanie!

User avatar
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord
Posts: 884
Joined: 30 Mar 2013, 23:50
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Double entries

Postby sleeper_service » 07 Jul 2016, 18:34

Fischi wrote:@sleeper_service
To continue the metaphor: It seems to be you invite people, hide your rules and censure they if they not follow them - to rub your dissatisfied ego. If you unsatisfied with your life it isn't a reason to move your frustration to other people. But of course a typically behavior in internet forums as people like you use it to relieve their aggressions. If you like to reprimand people why you do this not in front of a mirror? Would you identify each objection in the real world as an aggression? Would you talk in the real world with the same rude words, with the same impoliteness? No you wouldn't - but here you are so faceless and this make it so easy for people like you to be rude! Bye!
It's not neccessary to answer as I'm not willing to read further posts.


"waaah, waaaaaaah, waaaaaaa!, sniff, blubber", he said.


Return to “Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests