Unable to subscribe to new feeds (getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known)

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
djoopy
BANNED_USERS
BANNED_USERS

Unable to subscribe to new feeds (getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known)

Postby djoopy » 01 Aug 2016, 17:35

Hello,

I have been using tt-rss for a long time now and everything was working fine. Since a few weeks, I can't add any new feed anymore. I sadly can't say precisely when this happened and what could be the cause. When I click on "subscribe to feed…" and enter an url, I get a popup with this error:

Code: Select all

Couldn't download the specified URL: file_get_contents(http://www.legorafi.fr/feed/): failed to open stream: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known

I looks like I get the same error with any url. I can access the url with a web browser and get the feed content. The rest of ttrss is working fine, I can still read my feeds. I get the same error if I try to subscribe to a feed that is already subscribed (and whose articles are loaded without problem), which is a bit surprising…

I'm not sure to understand where the problem comes from, and I'm not 100% sure that this is due to ttrss and not a php or network problem. Does someone has an idea how to fix that, or know where the problem might come from?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Unable to subscribe to new feeds (getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known)

Postby fox » 01 Aug 2016, 17:48

in the period of your probation due to not reading the rules you might even consider reading the error message

djoopy
BANNED_USERS
BANNED_USERS

Re: Unable to subscribe to new feeds (getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known)

Postby djoopy » 09 Aug 2016, 18:03

Hello,

I'm surprised to have such an answer. I'm sorry if I forgot to include something in my message, but I'm not sure banning really helps… For your information, I did read the rules before posting, I did read the FAQ, and I even read the error message and guess what, tried to understand it & made a research on google and on the forum. I'm actually not sure why you banned be, even after reading the rules a second time. Maybe because I forgot to include tt-rss version & database info ? Here it is: v16.3 running in local on archlinux, with mariadb. If you want more logs, I would be happy to give them but I don't know what could be useful in this case.

If I am posting here, it means that I didn't find an answer. Most posts about this error message seem to suggest that error could be related to DNS servers, but it doesn't seem to be the case here. So now, maybe this message is clear for you and the solution obvious, but it isn't for me, I'm not a PHP expert.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions, or can help to understand the problem ? Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to start looking for an alternative.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 09 Aug 2016, 18:36

i like how instead of fixing your OP as per subforum rules you decided instead to post an essay on how everything is unfair. i guess the probation didn't help in your case, indeed, which is why i'm going to upgrade you to a permanent ban.

anyway, tt-rss does not do any name resolving, it relies on PHP to do so. if getaddrinfo() fails in php code on your server it is either a network or PHP-stack configuration issue. that's it, there's no alternative and no way for a PHP application to screw this up somehow.

>Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to start looking for an alternative.

protip: if you want to use something else, use it. nobody here actually cares. good luck.

Return to “Support”