Upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, can't get past login page

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
zachyordy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, can't get past login page

Postby zachyordy » 14 Oct 2016, 19:09

I'm a long time user of TT-RSS (many, many years). Have had it installed on my server for quite some time now, and love it! Use it every day.

I just recently upgraded my server to 16.04, and that has broken many things in TT-RSS. I had lots of error messages, but have been able to install or fix things here or there to make the error messages go away.

As part of the process, I basically ended up "starting from scratch". I was running a somewhat old version of tt-rss, so downloaded and installed the newest build from the Git repo (commit 6687cb9927cf6bef4440115676dd8bdf716041f4 on September 21st). I regenerated the configuration file, but am still attempting to use the old MySQL database (didn't initialize the DB).

At this point, I'm stuck. When I enter credentials on the login page, the page tries to load (looks like it's succeeding), and then just jumps back to the login page. I've tried all my logins that I had before, as well as the default admin/password. Nothing seems to work. This normally would be fine, but I don't see any error messages *anywhere* to point me in the right direction.

I've checked all the logs I could - tt-rss logs, tt-rss folder permissions (www-data:www-data), nginx logs, php logs, etc. I don't see any error messages that show what's going on. I'm able to manually run update.php without any problems, so it appears the backend is working fine. It's just the front end (possibly and probably PHP?) that I'm having problems with. Any other sites that use php specifically are working fine.

Does anybody have any helpful suggestions of places to look for error messages? Not sure what else I need to fix / change here. I read lots of discussions about PHP7.0. That's the version I'm using here, though I've tried also installing 5.6 on the side and using that, with no luck. I've seen that other people have gotten things to work with 16.04 (which has default support for php7.0 and dropped support for php5), so I don't think the version specifically is the problem.

Any places I should look for logs or error messages?

Also @fox, hope the use of Ubuntu doesn't offend. I know it's not your first choice of OS, but it's what I know and use.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Re: Upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, can't get past login page

Postby sleeper_service » 14 Oct 2016, 19:19

have you looked in ttrss_error_log in the database?

did you update the database with the update.php script?

zachyordy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby zachyordy » 14 Oct 2016, 19:24

zachyordy wrote:I'm able to manually run update.php without any problems, so it appears the backend is working fine.

As above, was able to run update.php with no problems. It ran fine, and updated the database without issues.

Haven't checked the ttrss_error_log in the database. I'll look into it.

zachyordy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby zachyordy » 14 Oct 2016, 19:59

Well, the log was somewhat helpful. 4 entries were "Failed login attempts for admin":

Failed login attempt for admin from x.x.x.x

These were when I tried to login with the default info (admin/password).

The other was a typo that I had in the php.ini config:

session_start(): Cannot find save handler 'memcache # comment here' - session startup failed

I fixed the typo, restarted php-fpm and tt-rss and still no luck.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 14 Oct 2016, 20:44

i'm running php 7 just fine on debian, whatever issues you're having seems to be something with your ubuntu setup

zachyordy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby zachyordy » 14 Oct 2016, 22:35

I hear you. I figured it was probably something having to do with my side. Was just wondering if there were any other logs or debugs that I could look at to see why the login wasn't going through.

Would a packet capture help? Are there any internal debugs to figure out why the page isn't logging in all the way?

If not, that's fine. Just figured I'd ask.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 14 Oct 2016, 23:17

Try logging in with Private Browsing turned on. I'm guessing a cookie or browser plugin/extension error. Avoid allowing password managers to submit the login form.

y2kse
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby y2kse » 14 Oct 2016, 23:50

As an extra data point, I'm running fine on a clean 16.04.1 LTS install + mySQL.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 15 Oct 2016, 11:04

i find it hard to believe that oob ubuntu 16.04 lamp setup would be broken enough to prevent tt-rss from working

like suggested above try with a clean browser profile, maybe the problem is somewhere else

zachyordy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby zachyordy » 15 Oct 2016, 15:56

Thanks for the suggestion! Opened TT-RSS just fine with Chrome in Incognito Mode. :oops:

I was using 1Password (not LastPass), and that was probably blocking the login. Once I set 1Password not to form fill on the domain, I was able to log in. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Support”