tt-rss does not load (after login page) if now language is setup in Firefox

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
jmozmoz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

tt-rss does not load (after login page) if now language is setup in Firefox

Postby jmozmoz » 24 Jan 2017, 23:37

Hi,

in Firefox one can remove all languages in Tools->Options->Content->Language. I once did this to test another server. Now since my last update of tt-rss (to the latest version) tt-rss stops loading the page after the login page (.../index.php). Neither does any other page load. Only the login page works. In the browser console, the following error shows up:
TypeError: _374 is undefined tt-rss-layer.js:8:95296

If I add one (or more) language(s) to the above setting, everything works again.

The version installed before was of December 13th, 2016.

(Interestingly also the forum does not load correctly, if no language is setup up.)

I guess, no other user has ever played in such a way with the language settings, but it is nevertheless an interesting bug. Perhaps there should be some default language.

Thank you for this great program
Joachim

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Re: tt-rss does not load (after login page) if now language is setup in Firefox

Postby JustAMacUser » 25 Jan 2017, 00:20

Perhaps there should be some default language.

Kind of hard to have a default language when all languages have been removed, no?

Web-based applications can check for a default language so they know how to localize the site for the visitor. If you've deleted all your languages, what do you expect the site to do? I mean, on one hand I get what you're saying about the application falling back to something, but what would it fall back to? English? Why? Who's to say that's appropriate for a web site that represents a local business in France.

Maybe don't mess with browser settings unnecessarily.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 25 Jan 2017, 17:00

i think this is a prime case of if it hurts when you do something, maybe stop doing it

that said, this is handled by a long dead and forgotten third party library (accept-to-gettext.php) i'm definitely not digging into regardless of this being or not being a legit issue, it's just not worth it imo

congrats on your find, tho

jmozmoz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jmozmoz » 26 Jan 2017, 02:15

I agree, that somebody how messes up with the Firefox preferences in such a way should/will also be able to find the console and finally find out what's going on. Nevertheless, this bug seems new (it worked until the last update). In the best of all worlds, there would be some error message to the user explaining what is going wrong.

But of course, this is not worth more work than perhaps settings an initial value to a variable.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 26 Jan 2017, 16:27

that library got updated in 8eaad1, however i'm not seeing any tangible differences there, just a small syntax update.

you can try reverting this file back and checking if it makes any difference.

Return to “Support”