Thumbnails for feeds disappeared - how to re-add

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
iquito
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Thumbnails for feeds disappeared - how to re-add

Postby iquito » 25 Feb 2017, 20:29

I upgraded to the current git release today (was running 1.12 before, on Debian Jessie, MariaDB 10.1, PHP 7.1 - ts-rss is basically vanilla without any customizations or additional plugins) and I noticed that after updating to the new release most of the feed icons disappeared and aren't coming back after updating the feeds - 9 of 60 feeds now have an icon, all others don't.

Is there an easy way to get new/current icons for existing feeds? In most cases the favicon from the domain where the feed is requested from would be ideal, but I looked through the plugins and searched for this topic everywhere, but did not find any possibility to easily retrieve a new icon. The only thing I found is to upload each icon manually for each feed within ts-rss. Even a "automatically get favicon for this feed" option would be so much less painful than manually adding all icons to all feeds.

Thanks for any information on this! Everything else works fine and I really like ts-rss.

Reader_Refugee
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Thumbnails for feeds disappeared - how to re-add

Postby Reader_Refugee » 02 Mar 2017, 22:35

Have you checked the contents of /feed-icons/? How many icons are present in that directory?

When I've had trouble with icons in the past, it's almost always been a caching issue.

iquito
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Thumbnails for feeds disappeared - how to re-add

Postby iquito » 04 Mar 2017, 19:13

There are 9 icons in /feed-icons - that is as expected. I checked with version 1.12 - there 46 of 60 feeds had an icon. I copied over the icons from the old version which are now also available again - thanks for the tip!

A possibility to update feed icons in a automated/easy way would still be great, because most domains have favicons which could also be used for the RSS feed. I don't think such functionality exists at the current time.

Return to “Support”