tt-rss may cause client DoS - build in a limit?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
padde
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

tt-rss may cause client DoS - build in a limit?

Postby padde » 01 Feb 2009, 09:02

Hi,

after a few months of using tt-rss with a few feeds (around 200-400 new items per day) I clicked on the "All articles" link today. After a few seconds I found that the box I was running Firefox 3.0.5 on (Core2Duo 6320, 4 GB RAM, Fedora 10 (64 bit)) got very sluggish. A quick look at 'top' showed Firefox using up 3 GB RAM and increasing.

I guess with enough RAM Firefox would eventually have displayed a very long list, but as it is, this caused me to have to kill the process, because it made my computer essentially unusable (DoS).

Do you think there should be a limit in tt-rss to prevent such a thing from happening?

Padde

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: tt-rss may cause client DoS - build in a limit?

Postby fox » 01 Feb 2009, 10:31

I guess with enough RAM Firefox would eventually have displayed a very long list, but as it is, this caused me to have to kill the process, because it made my computer essentially unusable (DoS).

You asked your computer to open a very large file. It tried to, but alas - the file was too large. How exactly does that translate to a denial of service, I have no idea. What service has been denied to you? To open large files by means, I suppose, magical in nature?

Do you think there should be a limit in tt-rss to prevent such a thing from happening?

padde
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby padde » 02 Feb 2009, 17:55

I had 5 other tabs open, one of them an unsaved Wiki edit ;)

Generally I agree - I asked for it. But maybe there could be a hard-limit...
Another aspect: at first the memory consumption rose slowly, then suddenly it "exploded" - maybe there is also a bug involved somewhere. In any case the server didn't transfer 3 GB (not even 3 MB) to my browser...

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 02 Feb 2009, 21:48

I had 5 other tabs open, one of them an unsaved Wiki edit ;)

In my experience, Firefox has pretty much bulletproof session restore.

But maybe there could be a hard-limit...

Ever read this? When I was a kid, I coded in Pascal. Since then, I learned to appreciate having the ability to shoot myself in the foot from time to time. :D

Return to “Support”