Cookies for getting feeds

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
jsdm
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Cookies for getting feeds

Postby jsdm » 27 Apr 2010, 21:48

I have a RSS feed that's for a members-only organization. If I access the feed without having an authentication cookie, it redirects to a webpage that asks me to log in. Of course, tt-rss can't parse that webpage as RSS XML so it gets an error. I tried typing the username/password in the prefs for the feed but that doesn't seem to work. It really requires a cookie.

Is there any way to give a cookie to the update daemon for it to use when updating the feed?

Thanks.

MattKatz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Cookies for getting feeds

Postby MattKatz » 30 Apr 2010, 22:36

That one is tougher than it sounds.
Authenticated RSS feeds are rough, but forms based authenticated feeds are completely goofy.

This would meant that TT would have to parse the login form, fill in the user/pass, get the cookie, then request the rss...

jsdm
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jsdm » 02 May 2010, 00:05

That would obviously be ridiculous but I think there's an easier way. I can log in with my browser and export the cookie. I've already done this so I know the cookie name and value that needs to be presented by tt-rss to the server. I just need a way to tell tt-rss about the cookie and have it send it with the request.

Something like "wget --load-cookies" would be fine.

Joschasa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Joschasa » 03 May 2010, 12:01

Had the same problem with the dokuwiki "recent changes" feed.
This feed was protected and only had items while logged in.
I found out, that the feed.php accepted the parameters u and p (username/password), so i could "login" without httpauth, cookies, ...

Perhaps your application supports this as well?

jsdm
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jsdm » 03 May 2010, 22:35

I tried entering the username and password in the tt-rss preferences but that didn't work.

The site in question is using vBulletin 3.6.8 if anybody has any tips on that. Thanks.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 07 May 2010, 23:16

I'm sorry, but importing cookies into tt-rss is not going to happen. This problem can be solved by proper configuration on the other end (e.g. the feed should accept HTTP Auth to show protected content, like Livejournal does).

Return to “Support”