How to update feeds

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
234my1
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

How to update feeds

Postby 234my1 » 28 Dec 2010, 17:54

Hello,

I'm looking for a method to update my feeds in the background (on a regular basis). I read the article about . Unfortunatley my webspace doesn't provide a cron service or console access.
However I could schedule a script (on a public cron service) to load a page on my webspace (e.g. update.php) on a regular basis.

Is there a possibility to pass a parameter (-feeds) to update.php, when making a HTTP call?
Does this even work?

Thanks for feedback or other creative ideas.

Joschasa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: How to update feeds

Postby Joschasa » 29 Dec 2010, 03:23

Without changing the code, it is not possible to use the update.php via http. It uses argv[] to determine the command line parameters, it wont work via http.
Perhaps it would work, if you just edit the first lines to accept $_GET[] or something like that. Or just set $op = "-feeds".

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 31 Dec 2010, 15:28

You can call the update url as specified in the wiki (section about updating using wget), I guess it should work.

234my1
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby 234my1 » 12 Feb 2011, 22:52

Thanks for your feedback. If I call the backend.php (with the respective parameters) in my browser, the feeds are refreshed.
Works :).

I checked some free cron services: All of them are stating, that they will quit a job after 30 seconds.
They recommend to add the following lines to the PHP script, to continue the execution when the job stopped:

set_time_limit(0);
ignore_user_abort(true);

Will this also work for TT-RSS (if I add them to backend.php)?
If so, would it make sense to include this in one of the next releases?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 13 Feb 2011, 00:01

Return to “Support”