Great piece of software - but I need some help

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Great piece of software - but I need some help

Postby johnnychicago » 26 Jul 2011, 12:38

Hello --

OK, first: tt-rss is an amazing piece of code. I am working on weaning myself off of Google Reader, and tt-rss seems like just the right setup. I did set it up on my VPS without hassle, and even in a comparably weak environment, it performs beautifully.

It takes me a while though, to figure things out, from a usage point of view, and I'm wondering if I am doing things wrong. Coming from aforementioned Google Reader, my ways may be set and I don't see where I'm off.

For one: my feeds are all stuck nicely in their categories. It took me a while to figure out that I can create labels and use filters to automatically assign labels to either entire feeds or specific articles - and that I can read all unread articles by label (in Google Reader, I give different tags to feeds - one tag corresponding to a feed category, another tag corresponding to where/when I might read the feed. I have feeds that I keep up with daily, others I mostly read in the train etc). When reading along labels, I cannot see anywhere what feed the article I am reading is from. Some of my feeds mention it, but I was wondering if tt-rss could show it someplace? Related, the tts-reader Android companion app is not seeing labels at all. Am I maybe misusing labels? Is this supposed to be used for something else? Should I do things differently?

When reading some of my feeds, most of the articles I read in the feed reader, not bothering to open the website. In Google Reader I can either scroll-wheel down or arrow-down, going through my list and the articles become 'read' as I go through them. I managed to replicate this behaviour with tt-rss using the mouse scroll wheel, but when using down-arrow, it does not seem to mark the feeds read. Using the 'n' key always brings me to the next article, which is not nice when the current article expands over more than one page. In addition, feeds only seem to get marked read once they scroll out to the top - not when they're in plain view on the screen. Since scrolling in from the bottom never allows to move past the last article in a feed, I always have to manically click around into the last few feeds to make sure they're marked 'read'. Minor gripe, but since I read a lot, I tend to notice these things... is there a way for me to adjust tt-rss' behaviour?

But - stating it again: this is an awesome tool. Is there a Paypal link somewhere for me to show my appreciation?

On a side note - my little VPS is rather bored. Since I noticed the online.tt-rss.org server doesn't accept new users, I would be more than happy to help out a few...

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Great piece of software - but I need some help

Postby fox » 30 Jul 2011, 14:48

(To all: I've just come back from vacation, sorry about a few posts stuck in queue and whatnot)

>Some of my feeds mention it, but I was wondering if tt-rss could show it someplace?

There should be a feed icon someplace on the right. There was a full feed title before, but I sorta ran out of space. You can enable this for yourself with a very easy patch (check the forum, I remember this being discussed before).

>Related, the tts-reader Android companion app is not seeing labels at all.

Poke the author in the app thread, he visits here sometimes.

>Am I maybe misusing labels? Is this supposed to be used for something else? Should I do things differently?

Not really. My idea was to classify articles through their content using labels, not entire feeds (although you can definitely do it both ways). Which sorta explains the originating feed not being prominent in the UI since you are browsing by a different criteria, e.g. articles filed under label X.

>I managed to replicate this behaviour with tt-rss using the mouse scroll wheel, but when using down-arrow, it does not seem to mark the feeds read.

This could be a bug, it's supposed to mark articles as read when they scroll above the viewport. Maybe the onscroll handler is not fired when you use the hotkey. Create a ticket, I'll take a look at it when I have some time.

>not when they're in plain view on the screen

That's true. You can use something a u, u' to mark the rest of the articles as read quickly. This may be considered suboptimal design, but personally I don't like it when things can just disappear because they were shown on screen at some point. I mean, if they were on screen it doesn't mean I've actually read them. I found that behaviour unnerving so it got axed. :)

How does google reader do it?

>is there a way for me to adjust tt-rss' behaviour?

You'll have to patch that in, I'm afraid.

>Using the 'n' key always brings me to the next article, which is not nice when the current article expands over more than one page.

Yep, it does that. It's pgup/pgdown to scroll through the buffer and n/p to scroll through the articles. It's somewhat clumsy and could be somehow improved, I guess.

Usul
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Usul » 30 Jul 2011, 15:19

fox wrote:>Some of my feeds mention it, but I was wondering if tt-rss could show it someplace?

There should be a feed icon someplace on the right. There was a full feed title before, but I sorta ran out of space. You can enable this for yourself with a very easy patch (check the forum, I remember this being discussed before).

May I help out, I think, it's hard to find:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=719#p3388

Yep, it does that. It's pgup/pgdown to scroll through the buffer and n/p to scroll through the articles. It's somewhat clumsy and could be somehow improved, I guess.

My workflow: I switch between articles with n, but if the article doesn't fit on the page and I have to scroll a little bit further, I use shift+n.

fox

Postby fox » 30 Jul 2011, 16:54

Oh right, I completely forgot about the N/P hotkeys. :)

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 30 Jul 2011, 17:54

fox wrote:>Am I maybe misusing labels? Is this supposed to be used for something else? Should I do things differently?

Not really. My idea was to classify articles through their content using labels, not entire feeds (although you can definitely do it both ways). Which sorta explains the originating feed not being prominent in the UI since you are browsing by a different criteria, e.g. articles filed under label X.

And I'm getting that by now and have started using labels/filters for this too. And using filters to mark certain articles auto-read. Good stuff!

>I managed to replicate this behaviour with tt-rss using the mouse scroll wheel, but when using down-arrow, it does not seem to mark the feeds read.

This could be a bug, it's supposed to mark articles as read when they scroll above the viewport. Maybe the onscroll handler is not fired when you use the hotkey. Create a ticket, I'll take a look at it when I have some time.

>not when they're in plain view on the screen

That's true. You can use something a u, u' to mark the rest of the articles as read quickly. This may be considered suboptimal design, but personally I don't like it when things can just disappear because they were shown on screen at some point. I mean, if they were on screen it doesn't mean I've actually read them. I found that behaviour unnerving so it got axed. :)

How does google reader do it?

Google Reader has a slightly thicker border around an article when it's considered read - quite unintrusive. When scrolling down and an article is about half in the viewport, it's marked read. As for the last article in a feed/category, it allows to scroll into whitespace sufficiently far to get the last article into read. So you don't have to make it scroll entirely out of the viewport, just 'somewhat in'.

It's a matter of taste, I agree with that. I like Google's better since one key (down arrow) basically gets you through the entire feed. It flows with my laziness.

>is there a way for me to adjust tt-rss' behaviour?

You'll have to patch that in, I'm afraid.

If I could :)

I did dabble some in HTML/PHP ages ago, but that was roughly Web 0.5 - Javascript back then was used for rollovers and generally consider a bad thing. I'd have a hard time to even understand all this AJAX magic :)

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 30 Jul 2011, 18:08

Usul wrote:
fox wrote:>Some of my feeds mention it, but I was wondering if tt-rss could show it someplace?

May I help out, I think, it's hard to find:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=719#p3388

Thanks. Didn't work out here, though :-\

fox

Postby fox » 30 Jul 2011, 18:53

Ah right, that got broken at some point. The correct diff should look like this:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/functions.php b/functions.php
index 4ce6700..eeae249 100644
--- a/functions.php
+++ b/functions.php
@@ -5231,14 +5231,14 @@

$reply['content'] .= $labels_str;

-                                       /* if (!get_pref($link, 'VFEED_GROUP_BY_FEED')) {
+                                       if (!get_pref($link, 'VFEED_GROUP_BY_FEED')) {
                                                if (@$line["feed_title"]) {
-                                                       print "<span class=\"hlFeed\">
+                                                       $reply['content'] .= "<span class=
                                                                (<a href=\"#\" onclick=\"v
                                                                $line["feed_title"]."</a>)
                                                        </span>";
                                                }
-                                       } */
+                                       }

$reply['content'] .= "</div>";

Basically change print to $reply['content'] .=

fox

Postby fox » 30 Jul 2011, 19:10

Alright, that was only half of it. Apply this diff instead for the new workaround:

https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... e0f8e2a386

Add define('_SHOW_FEED_TITLE_IN_VFEEDS', true); to config.php and you should be good to go.

fox

Postby fox » 30 Jul 2011, 20:02

Google Reader has a slightly thicker border around an article when it's considered read - quite unintrusive. When scrolling down and an article is about half in the viewport, it's marked read. As for the last article in a feed/category, it allows to scroll into whitespace sufficiently far to get the last article into read. So you don't have to make it scroll entirely out of the viewport, just 'somewhat in'.

I don't think the thick border would work with overall tt-rss aesthetic, but the behaviour you are describing looks good to me. I'll try to shamelessly steal it when I have some free time. :twisted:

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 30 Jul 2011, 20:14

OK, for this, and for the feed title patch, you're my hero of the day :D

fox

Postby fox » 03 Aug 2011, 18:39

I'll try to shamelessly steal it when I have some free time.

Done.

https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... 6577b46192

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 04 Aug 2011, 12:47

fox wrote:

Done.

Hmmm.

I don't think I see the difference.

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 04 Aug 2011, 12:53

johnnychicago wrote:
fox wrote:

Done.

Hmmm.

I don't think I see the difference.

Hmpf. Forget it - I can see clearly now, the bit where you can scroll down into the empty. Thanks :)

Shift-N does the behaviour I like, scrolling down leisurely through the articles. Is there an easy way for me to make down-arrow behave like shift-N?

fox

Postby fox » 04 Aug 2011, 13:31

Yep, you'll have to hack the hotkey_handler() in tt-rss.js. It should be self explanatory, all hotkeys are commented.

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 04 Aug 2011, 14:22

Woo-hoo - managed that. Now I'm a happy (lazy) bunny - I can scroll down and up through my feeds and whenever something's out the viewport it's read. :)

Return to “Support”