Flash content not showing

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
sasoiliev
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Flash content not showing

Postby sasoiliev » 25 Aug 2011, 11:31

Hey there,

I've installed Tiny Tiny RSS reader and it's awesome, but I have a problem with embedded flash content - It's not showing in the articles.

I'm using Firefox 6.0. I've tried to disable all firefox addons, but the problem still exists.

The problem exists with other browsers as well (I've tried IE 9.0.2).

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Flash content not showing

Postby fox » 25 Aug 2011, 12:09

Yep, HTMLPurifier doesn't like embedded objects all that much. You can try disabling it in functions.php sanitize_rss():

Code: Select all

$res = $purifier->purify($res);

Comment that out. Although you might experience broken tt-rss layout markup.

sasoiliev
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sasoiliev » 25 Aug 2011, 12:12

Ahh, thanks. :)

conzeit
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby conzeit » 23 Oct 2011, 07:16

The embedded videos in my feed are not showing, I'm guessing it's because of this. I tried pasting the code in the "customize css" dialogue and it did show me a white rectangle where the video should be, instead of just skipping that space...but the video still wont load. is there a way to fix this in the online?

fluffy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby fluffy » 31 Aug 2012, 20:58

Is the purifier itself modifiable? I'm concerned that if I turn off purification entirely, I'll end up with major problems due to a couple of broken feeds that tend to have broken HTML with unclosed divs and so on (which is why I switched to tt-rss to begin with, since FeedOnFeeds was having pathological trouble with them).

iacchi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iacchi » 17 Mar 2013, 19:10

fox wrote:Yep, HTMLPurifier doesn't like embedded objects all that much. You can try disabling it in functions.php sanitize_rss():

$res = $purifier->purify($res);

Comment that out. Although you might experience broken tt-rss layout markup.

Hi. I'm having the same problem and I've tried this solution but that line is no longer there. Is there another way now make embedded videos work? I'm using the latest tt-rss version

lotrfan
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby lotrfan » 18 Mar 2013, 04:52

This worked for me:
in lib/htmLawed.php, comment out line 22 (or just remove some of the "unsafe" tags from the unset list)
Something like

//if(!empty($C['safe'])){
// unset($e['applet'], $e['embed'], $e['iframe'], $e['object'], $e['script']);
//}

or

if(!empty($C['safe'])){
 unset($e['applet'], $e['iframe'], $e['script']); //allow <embed> and <object>, but not <applet>, <iframe>, <script>
}

iacchi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iacchi » 18 Mar 2013, 18:14

Thank you for the tip. Done, but still not working.

fox

Postby fox » 18 Mar 2013, 18:15

Can someone link the feed with video embeds in it? It's kind of surprisingly hard to find. Youtube for some reason doesn't embed stuff.

dxbi
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby dxbi » 18 Mar 2013, 18:40

Quickly skimming through my feed I found mostly iframe-style embedding such as
http://feeds.feedburner.com/smbc-comics/PvLb
http://scienceblogs.de/feed/

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 18 Mar 2013, 18:48

fox wrote:Can someone link the feed with video embeds in it? It's kind of surprisingly hard to find. Youtube for some reason doesn't embed stuff.

I subscribe to these feeds that embed video, though none via the <embed> tag (perhaps they are of interest anyway):
Iframes are also blocked by default in TT-RSS. Slashdot uses this as well for its standard feeds (to dynamically load select comments for each article).

At least the existence of these feeds show that there are several approaches used for video embedding. Globally whitelisting these potentially intrusive tags might not be wanted by everyone. It would be good though to be able to create e.g. a Slashdot specific feed plugin that whitelists <iframe>, and so on.

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 18 Mar 2013, 19:02

This feed contains a lot of YouTube videos:
http://www.uproxx.com/tag/game-of-thrones/feed/

fox

Postby fox » 18 Mar 2013, 19:05

Yay!

Okay, I don't think iframe should be enabled at all. This is potentially layout breaking and whatnot (sites can easily escape the iframe).

iacchi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby iacchi » 18 Mar 2013, 19:16

This is the feed i had problems with: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Disinformatico
More precisely, look at the post "Tablet vs. carta" which embed a YouTube video (which is done via iframe).

Maybe you can think about enabling the iframe if the address in src is in a whitelist (like youtube)?

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 18 Mar 2013, 19:44

fox wrote:Okay, I don't think iframe should be enabled at all. This is potentially layout breaking and whatnot (sites can easily escape the iframe).

Many content producers use iframes in their feeds, so I would like to have them enabled in ttrss, at least with a white list. Slashdot is a great example. The value of that site is the comments, and since they use an iframe to show comments in the feed, ttrss does not show them.

Even if you don't want the option in trunk, can you point us at the location that we can make the edit ourselves? (Edit: just noticed that a patch was outlined above... I'll try it out.)

Return to “Support”