Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
Archie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Official Android client

Postby Archie » 06 Nov 2014, 18:27

fox wrote:
Yep. the whole mark as unread thing is retarded.

"oh i wanted to read this thing later.. wait fuck there's 500 new articles in this category, where is it???"

Right on Top. I set the order to oldest first showing only unread articles. When I scroll through an category and find an article i don't want to read right now i mark it unread so next time I find it a the top of the list and not in another category mixed with other starred articles from other threads/categories.

So by the way: Can you bring back showing oldest articles first? Or did this option just move somewhere I didn't find it?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 06 Nov 2014, 18:37

Reading news oldest first sounds about as strange to me as marking stuff as unread, btw. Even then it's dumb because it assumes you open the feed next time when "later" has finally come, otherwise you'll just keep marking shit as unread again and again like a monkey with nothing better to do.

>So by the way: Can you bring back showing oldest articles first? Or did this option just move somewhere I didn't find it?

It's right there in the actionbar.

Archie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Archie » 06 Nov 2014, 19:39

fox wrote:Reading news oldest first sounds about as strange to me as marking stuff as unread,

I find it strange to read the newest first. Some of the feeds i follow are comments to Blog-entrys. if i read newest first i would read the answers to comments before reading the coresponding comments.

fox wrote:btw. Even then it's dumb because it assumes you open the feed next time when "later" has finally come, otherwise you'll just keep marking shit as unread again and again like a monkey with nothing better to do.

I mark it unread when i'm commuting then i open the feed again when im at the office or at home. And articles are not marked as read by scrolling or just viewing the category but when i'm flipping through the articles. I don't have to mark an article more than once.

fox wrote:>So by the way: Can you bring back showing oldest articles first? Or did this option just move somewhere I didn't find it?

It's right there in the actionbar.

Thanks.

fox

Postby fox » 06 Nov 2014, 20:51

I hope you realize how ridiculous this sounds. The reality is that there's space for 3 major functions on the UI now thanks to google and you want this kludge to be one of them because of this painfully elaborate scenario that requires a paragraph-long explanation and careful control to sorta-kinda work for you. It should be very obvious why this isn't gonna happen.

e: anyway I think that's about enough about marking shit as unread. It's not going back on the toolbar, either get used to it or switch to something else, I don't really care either way.

randompherret
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby randompherret » 06 Nov 2014, 22:03

fox wrote:Reading news oldest first sounds about as strange...

Why wouldn't you want to read the news that happened first first?
#exitgate

fox

Postby fox » 06 Nov 2014, 22:21

old news is basically garbage.

Archie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Archie » 06 Nov 2014, 23:13

fox wrote:I hope you realize how ridiculous this sounds.

I assume for someone who finds reading a thread in chronological order strange it might sound ridiculous.

fox wrote:The reality is that there's space for 3 major functions on the UI now thanks to google and you want this kludge to be one of them ...

I wasn't asking for it to be one of the three functions in the toolbar. i was merely pointing out that the function is not useless. At least not for everyone.

fox wrote:...because of this painfully elaborate scenario that requires a paragraph-long explanation and careful control to sorta-kinda work for you.

Keeping the items i want to read later in the category they belong instead of throwing them all on one heap called starred articles. Painfully elaborate?

fox wrote: It should be very obvious why this isn't gonna happen.

Yeah. I guess it is.

sancho1234
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sancho1234 » 06 Nov 2014, 23:18

fox wrote:
sancho1234 wrote:If I go into a submenu, then there is an animated circle appears, indicating that the wait (that's okay). When the contents of the article is loading, it has a different type of circle animation, which indicates that the wait (it is also okay). But in no way is no indication when the application starts for the first time, but there is a dark gray box is empty.

Yeah, it's a legit bug, I'll see what I can do.

Wow! Thank you for your new update! Cool!

fox

Postby fox » 06 Nov 2014, 23:26

Archie wrote:I assume for someone who finds reading a thread in chronological order strange it might sound ridiculous.

yes, forum discussion and news feeds, exact same shit right there.

e: like I said, pls don't bother.

Masiosare
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Masiosare » 07 Nov 2014, 02:03

The exit on back is biting me every single time too. Is it possible to show the drawer on the back button press, instead of exit?

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 07 Nov 2014, 02:12

Just wanted to chime in on olest first. I like the grouping and within the group I also set to read oldest first. The reason is for feeds from discussion baords. You have to read from old to new to get the flow of the discussion. For example, on the tt-rss forum feed, watching Fox's growing "admiration" for the skill of the Android UI designers from the past to know is quite entertaining. Just wouldn't be the same to start with the current state of total disgust and abject scorn and go backwards to when he thought they were merely incompetent idiots. The build up is everything!

fox

Postby fox » 07 Nov 2014, 08:48

Oldest first is not going anywhere, relax.

e: if anything it's easier to deal with now what with not having to go into preferences to switch sorting.

fox

Postby fox » 07 Nov 2014, 08:51

Masiosare wrote:The exit on back is biting me every single time too. Is it possible to show the drawer on the back button press, instead of exit?

No. It goes against android UX guidelines (same with whatever other retarded shit bad apps do - like double press to exit, w/e) and there are some technical problems with it due to support library strangeness.

Louie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Louie » 07 Nov 2014, 16:49

First, fox I appreciate the new look to the client and ttrss in general, but it is taking some getting used to the way some things behave differently.

Archie wrote:I mark it unread when i'm commuting then i open the feed again when im at the office or at home. And articles are not marked as read by scrolling or just viewing the category but when i'm flipping through the articles. I don't have to mark an article more than once.

I know you don't understand this as a use case for mark unread, but it can be handy when you need to read it in a non-mobile form, and it is handy to still have it in the category that it was labeled. I'll get over it not being in the main list of actions, but please don't remove the functionality. I guess this is where pocket or one of the other read-it-later apps could be used instead, but I really just like keeping it in ttrss.

Latimer
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby Latimer » 07 Nov 2014, 17:33

fox wrote:Oldest first is not going anywhere, relax.

Chiming in to support oldest first, commencing relaxation procedures.

Return to “Support”