Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Postby fox » 13 Nov 2014, 18:19

smart people itt: getting angry over a button

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 13 Nov 2014, 18:21

Maru
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Maru » 13 Nov 2014, 18:42

The more you ask about it the less inclined Fox is to re-implement it, well at least that's how I see it.
If you really cannot live without an unread button, just use an alternative reader that supports it. Personally I use Press+ the fever plugin.It has a very simple and straightforward interface AND a button to quickly toggle the read-state of the post you are currently on.

jah
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jah » 13 Nov 2014, 19:14

Fox - is there a way to have the android app not go straight to "fresh articles" when it opens? I know you were going for consistency, but I don't find the fresh articles interface to work well on the phone.

I guess it doesn't really matter why it doesn't work for me, so I won't get into it, but it also seems kind of buggy in a way I haven't been able to duplicate - in showing articles that aren't necessarily the most recent (or even new). Does it show cached results? I have noticed that the fresh articles list will display even when while showing me the i/o (server down) error.

Is there a setting I am missing or some way to put a shortcut to the feeds list (or particular feeds, I guess) on the home screen so I can bypass the fresh articles?

fox

Postby fox » 13 Nov 2014, 19:34

like everything else the headlines are serialized when you switch out of the app, so when you go back to it, it won't have to reload everything from the server all the time, that's pretty much how it's always done on android (because retarded android developers decided that stuff like changing orientation of your phone is a good enough cause to terminate and restart your app, no kidding) - if you have other feed open, it should behave the same until you manually swipe-refresh the feed you'll see previous results. I can make it so it refetches fresh feed all the time, but what if you were reading and switched to some other app for a moment?

I like the consistency between both apps, but it's not really critical or anything, and in limited bandwidth situations or some shit i suppose it could be annoying. I'll make a mental note to add an option for it.

e: you can always disable fresh feed in tt-rss preferences and/or exclude feeds from showing up in it using filters (set score < 0).

jah
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jah » 13 Nov 2014, 19:36

Thanks!

e: where is the setting to disable fresh feed?

fox

Postby fox » 13 Nov 2014, 19:54

set maximum age of fresh articles to 0 in tt-rss preferences

jah
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jah » 13 Nov 2014, 19:56

I tried that, but I still get the feed when I open the app (or the browser). It just comes up empty.

fox

Postby fox » 13 Nov 2014, 19:58

well yeah, the client option would be in the next market update in a few hours, you'll get a sidebar instead (i figured opening an app to a literal empty screen is kinda dumb)

this guy gets it

jah
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jah » 13 Nov 2014, 20:00

Nice.

hrk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby hrk » 13 Nov 2014, 20:14

fox, if you really think that the "mark as unread" is stupid and you won't put it back, then recomment people who need it to use a different client app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.newsplus

I know this is a direct competitor to your app, but it has the "mark as unread" and offline storage/sync of articles. Basically it's built upon two of the features you'll never implement, so maybe it's not a direct competitor at all. What do you say?

jah
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jah » 13 Nov 2014, 20:17

hrk wrote:fox, if you really think that the "mark as unread" is stupid and you won't put it back, then recomment people who need it to use a different client app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.newsplus

I know this is a direct competitor to your app, but it has the "mark as unread" and offline storage/sync of articles. Basically it's built upon two of the features you'll never implement, so maybe it's not a direct competitor at all. What do you say?

I don't think he has a reason to care. He's made it pretty clear where the line is, and people still don't see it, so what's his incentive of going out of his way to recommend different apps?

e: the notion that we are paying customers for buying the app for $1 or $2 or whatever is pretty ludicrous. I think at most the payment is an attempt to filter out those who won't bother.

fox

Postby fox » 13 Nov 2014, 20:33

hrk wrote:fox, if you really think that the "mark as unread" is stupid and you won't put it back, then recomment people who need it to use a different client app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.newsplus

preach it on the streets, brother

e: i recommend posting somewhere else

Latimer
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby Latimer » 14 Nov 2014, 06:31

A couple things.

Article counters in Amber theme are invisible until I press on a category or a feed:
sc1.png
sc1.png (26.84 KiB) Viewed 5643 times

There is this weird toast message when you summon a drawer, open a category, then go into Settings to change a theme, and leave Settings by pressing Back:
sc2.png
sc2.png (14.48 KiB) Viewed 5643 times

The last one seems to be affected by an "Open Fresh articles" checkbox: it's easier to trigger when it's unchecked. I'm not sure where this log is located. logcat doesn't show anything.

Environment: Nexus 5, Android 4.4.4, apk 1.75

fox

Postby fox » 14 Nov 2014, 09:11

the error is because of network request failing for some reason. if you disable fresh feed, there's no headline request for it, so there's potentially one less http request to fail and show the error.

amber counters yeah, looks like a theme bug.

Return to “Support”