Android client: if only I could unread the sdk

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
tagno25
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Official Android client

Postby tagno25 » 07 Nov 2014, 17:34

Fresh articles is blank when first opening the app. I have to manualy refresh to get it to load articles.

Shouldn't the back button return you to "Fresh articles" before exiting, since that would be a previous context? Something similar to how opening Gmail gives you the inbox, switch to a different label, then when you hit back it takes you to the inbox.

I have no idea how difficult it would be, but would it be feasible to have the app cache the past day or few hours of feeds similar to how Gmail can cache a label?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 07 Nov 2014, 17:49

>Fresh articles is blank when first opening the app. I have to manualy refresh to get it to load articles.

idk works for me

>I have no idea how difficult it would be, but would it be feasible to have the app cache the past day or few hours of feeds similar to how Gmail can cache a label?

no caching of any kind will be implemented ever

fuck that

e: also, i have already explained why back buttons works how it works. it ain't gonna change.

Masiosare
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Masiosare » 07 Nov 2014, 18:41

We will have to adapt, I guess. Or make our own app

What's kind of weird is that the back button behaves the same as the home button (at least on the articles list), it's kind of odd to have two different buttons for the same action. I understand the rationale, but it's still odd.

fox

Postby fox » 07 Nov 2014, 18:46

If you have a drawer a hamburger is drawn on screen and home button toggles it. Otherwise, a <- is drawn and you go back.

Back button always goes back to previous activity. It's really not that confusing, imo.

e: idk if its possible to have multiple back stacks, if so I could prob. make it so back goes to previous open feed if available and then quits the app.

decoherent
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby decoherent » 07 Nov 2014, 19:44

I'm really liking the new look and workflow. The only thing I'm missing is that it used to be possible to go directly to article view when you tapped on a feed, rather than the headline view. Would it be possible to get that option back? I mean, it's not a big deal, it's one extra tap, but it'd be nice.

fox

Postby fox » 07 Nov 2014, 20:34

It was a kludge and it prevented people from dealing with stuff exposed in headlines list only such as sorting which has been moved away from settings screen.

Anyway, it was a remnant of dark times when headlines list was shitty, it's much better now so I removed it (also there were some long-standing minor technical issues with it, two preferences regarding viewing stuff was confusing imo, and it was only enabled on smartphones anyway - which makes the UI less consistent between devices, which is something I'm trying to minimize).

tldr it ain't coming back, sorry.

decoherent
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby decoherent » 07 Nov 2014, 21:04

Fair enough, like I said it's only one extra tap, I'll survive! Thanks anyway!

jamesbond
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jamesbond » 07 Nov 2014, 21:17

@fox: +1 for the new "All articles" pseudo feed in every category!

Thanks a lot for this feature. I was still thinking about buying the app, now I will definitely do so.

fox

Postby fox » 07 Nov 2014, 21:37

this was there from the start but you had to longpress and apparently nobody ever discovered it except for a bunch of turbonerds. enjoy.

fox

Postby fox » 08 Nov 2014, 02:38

heads up: I think I finally figured out a compromise solution for the #exitgate, it should be there in the next play store update.

jamesbond
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jamesbond » 08 Nov 2014, 15:07

fox wrote:this was there from the start but you had to longpress

Yes, I used that, but the longpress always felt like an interruption in the worklow. So I like the additional new way much better.

thermoman
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

[Android] Feed list not refreshed after "mark all as read"

Postby thermoman » 09 Nov 2014, 19:43

Hi,

with the new layout there is still an issue:

I'm reading the article overview of a feed

1.png
1.png (189.67 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

and then use the check mark on top to mark all items in this feed as read:

2.png
2.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

When now opening the side bar the feed list still shows the feed with unread items although i just marked all items in this feed as read:

3.png
3.png (91.14 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

It's really annoying with this workflow as there is always one feed in the feed list which has no unread items although the list claims so.

Solution: implement refresh of feed list after the "mark as read" checkmark was used.

Regards
thermoman

fox

Re: [Android] Feed list not refreshed after "mark all as rea

Postby fox » 09 Nov 2014, 20:26

stop sperging over counters. if you really care about it so much, swipe the listview and it will refresh itself.

keeping meaningless numbers up-to-date at all times has never been a priority and never will be, dealwithit.gif

e: also lol at your ~workflow~

Latimer
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby Latimer » 09 Nov 2014, 21:19

May I ask you to reconsider the decision of adding a floating action button to the article view? Normally it disappears once you scroll down, but sometimes the article is not long enough, and the button ends up covering several words in the end.

(Sorry I know it looks FAB!)

sc.png
sc.png (82.17 KiB) Viewed 4085 times

thermoman
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: [Android] Feed list not refreshed after "mark all as rea

Postby thermoman » 09 Nov 2014, 22:50

I don't care for the number - it's annoying that the name of the feed is still in the list. Not everyone uses "all articles".

Besides your rude attitude it's still a bug.

Return to “Support”