Mobile webapp for TT RSS: ttrss-mobile

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
jonb
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Mobile webapp for TT RSS: ttrss-mobile

Postby jonb » 28 Mar 2013, 17:37

Never mind. It was my own stupidity. I left out the closing quote in the window.apiPath (see code above!).

D'ohh!

acidburns
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby acidburns » 29 Mar 2013, 18:04

I got it to work without any problems on my RaspberryPi with newest ttrss version (of 28.03.2013). Great work!

But I got one security question:
why did you outsource the backbone-min.js and the underscore-min.js as standard? I downloaded those versions from their webpages and intalled them to lib while modifying the index.html to point to the lib files rather than to any cloudflare stuff...
Is there any reason why you just didn't put those files into the installation directly?

-Acid

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 29 Mar 2013, 18:35

I don't even know what that is. Maybe it's iUI doing that?

Edit: lol, I thought this was about old mobile/. Nevermind my post. :)

mkl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Second title in article view

Postby mkl » 29 Mar 2013, 21:29

mboinet wrote:
Aldursil wrote:Can you make the titles for the articles word wrap? I see quite a few article titles on my phone with "..." at the end of the title.

It's expected when the header is too narrow. Is it the case for you? Are you writing about the title in the header bar or in the content (maybe I didn't undestand you clearly)?

On the article page, I see two titles: One in the header, abridged by "...", and then the full title below, as a clickable link.
Why would I need the first title?
I would remove it entirely, and place small prev/next buttons there.

mkl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Jump back to page with new articles

Postby mkl » 29 Mar 2013, 21:39

Hallo
One more suggestion:
Imagine this situation
I have read all articles of a feed, and press the "back" button on the feed list page.
I am now brought back to the category page.

If the category does not hold any new articles any more, then I would appreciate if I would be brought back directly to a higher level where are still unread articles.

Grüße
Michael

mkl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Skip categories with only one feed

Postby mkl » 29 Mar 2013, 21:42

Hallo
My last suggestion of the day:

In TT-RSS, feeds need to be in categories, they cannot be moved directly to the root level.
For this reason I have many folders containing only one feed.

In our nice mobile app, I would prefer if the app would bypass the folder view if there is only one feed inside, and instead go to the item list directly.

Grüße
Michael

mboinet
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby mboinet » 30 Mar 2013, 22:00

acidburns wrote:But I got one security question:
why did you outsource the backbone-min.js and the underscore-min.js as standard? I downloaded those versions from their webpages and intalled them to lib while modifying the index.html to point to the lib files rather than to any cloudflare stuff...
Is there any reason why you just didn't put those files into the installation directly?

I prefer to use CDN hosted libs, because it lets the browser load on multiple domain names. And as other sites use those, it could already be in the cache.
But it's not a huge time saver.

mkl wrote:On the article page, I see two titles: One in the header, abridged by "...", and then the full title below, as a clickable link.
Why would I need the first title?
I would remove it entirely, and place small prev/next buttons there.

Yes, you're right I could let this header blank. I don't want to add more buttons: on my screen (iPhone 3GS) there is not enough room.

For the next/previous buttons, I think I prefer the swipe solution that doesn't take screen real estate and is available anywhere while reading the article.

mkl wrote:One more suggestion:
Imagine this situation
I have read all articles of a feed, and press the "back" button on the feed list page.
I am now brought back to the category page.

If the category does not hold any new articles any more, then I would appreciate if I would be brought back directly to a higher level where are still unread articles.

Good idea! If you have a Github account, I invite you to add this as an issue.

mkl wrote:Hallo
My last suggestion of the day:

In TT-RSS, feeds need to be in categories, they cannot be moved directly to the root level.
For this reason I have many folders containing only one feed.

In our nice mobile app, I would prefer if the app would bypass the folder view if there is only one feed inside, and instead go to the item list directly.

You can use the Special -> All articles for this I think.

Other news:
There's a settings page where you can tune the number of articles to load.
I added the version number on this page. I plan to do a real 1.0 when I'll have time to look into releases and JSlinl/miniminzing things.
Every libs the project depends on are loaded from CDNs.
SINGLE_USER_MODE is supported.
for iPhone users, the webapp mode should have a startup image (for all models).
small fixes

jdlk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jdlk » 30 Mar 2013, 23:32

This works beautifully on my 7 inch tablet -- the only problem is that the article text is too small on the high-res screen (down to my ageing eyesight), and there's no obvious setting for the text area font size.

I've tried to find a way to change the default article text size -- I've played around with "jquery.mobile-1.3.0.min.css" (using a local copy and changed index.html to reflect this) and also main.css, but without success. Any advice appreciated.

raindog469
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby raindog469 » 30 Mar 2013, 23:56

I just did a benchmark using the version of ttrss-mobile from the top of this thread, alternating between CDN and pulling local copies from lib, about 5 times each. On my 2-year-old Android phone (on wifi), both versions load in between 3 and 3.5 seconds. Sometimes the CDN version was faster, sometimes the local one was. Using Chrome on my laptop, with the debugger enabled to check timing, and shift-clicking the refresh button to force it to ignore cache, the local version was about 200ms faster than the CDN version on average. Without the debugger turned on, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Of course, both of the libraries retrieved from the CDN are pretty small, about 32k combined. The three jquery files loaded locally are about 320k combined, about 10x bigger. If you've changed those to pull from CDN as well, the difference might be more significant and I'll retest when/if I install a version where that's the case. But for now, I'm content to leave it using the CDN versions of those two files since when I'm away from home, Cloudfront is likely to be much faster than my home Internet's upstream bandwidth.

Thanks for your work on this. It's already very usable.

sancho1234
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sancho1234 » 31 Mar 2013, 00:06

Working, thank you! :)

• All files copied to /var/www/ttrss/mobile/ folder with following settings:
  • window.apiPath="../";
  • window.webappPath="../mobile/";

:wink:

shentabla
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby shentabla » 31 Mar 2013, 09:59

Thanks this is great.
I have a problem reading Japanese post titles. The content displays OK, but the titles display as "??????".
Hope you can update to fix this...
Thanks again

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 31 Mar 2013, 13:10

mboinet wrote:I prefer to use CDN hosted libs, because it lets the browser load on multiple domain names. And as other sites use those, it could already be in the cache.

Admittedly not many webservers use this yet, but it will become more popular in future (and I use it myself), but if you have the SPDY protocol enabled it's actually better to have all content loaded from the same domain name as the SPDY protocol chains everything down the same negotiated connection rather than the browser having to negotiate multiple connections. For further information: http://www.guypo.com/technical/not-as-s ... u-thought/

Also I made a suggestion a few posts back about having the app automatically load the next 10 articles when you reach the end rather than having to click back and then go into the next 10 again. I've found out that I can just edit line 182 of main.js and change it to 100. This works well for me and has no perceptible change in speed at all on my iPhone 4S. Not sure what the effect would be on slower phones so maybe 10 is a good default, but this is a good workaround for me at least.

*edit*, just noticed you've made this a setting apparently. Excellent!

mboinet
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby mboinet » 31 Mar 2013, 13:13

jdlk wrote:This works beautifully on my 7 inch tablet -- the only problem is that the article text is too small on the high-res screen (down to my ageing eyesight), and there's no obvious setting for the text area font size.

I've tried to find a way to change the default article text size -- I've played around with "jquery.mobile-1.3.0.min.css" (using a local copy and changed index.html to reflect this) and also main.css, but without success. Any advice appreciated.

Could you test with these lines in the main.css ?

Code: Select all

div#read div[data-role=content]>div.main {
    font-size: 1.2em !important;
}

I think jQueryMobile is using the default 1em font size. If it's too small, your browser default font configuration is just wrong.
What tablet are you using? What's your browser? Did you try any other browser?

shentabla wrote:Thanks this is great.
I have a problem reading Japanese post titles. The content displays OK, but the titles display as "??????".
Hope you can update to fix this...
Thanks again

I'd need the RSS feed to reproduce this & have a look.

@raindog469 thank you for the input :mrgreen: Did you compare on a cellular network? It's really the target I'm trying to optimize for.

xtaz wrote:Also I made a suggestion a few posts back about having the app automatically load the next 10 articles when you reach the end rather than having to click back and then go into the next 10 again. I've found out that I can just edit line 182 of main.js and change it to 100. This works well for me and has no perceptible change in speed at all on my iPhone 4S. Not sure what the effect would be on slower phones so maybe 10 is a good default, but this is a good workaround for me at least.

There's no need for this workaround anymore, there's a settings page where you can tune this between 1 and 60. Anything greater than 60 will be limited by the API.
This setting is saved between usages in LocalStorage.

JcTux
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby JcTux » 31 Mar 2013, 15:41

mboinet wrote:There's a settings page where you can tune the number of articles to load.

Thanks a lot, that is a great feature for me.
I played with the variable "articlesNumber" (line 303, main.js) set it from 10 to 50, 100, 500. I did not observe any issue in loading speed.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 31 Mar 2013, 15:42

It's capped at 60 by the server.

Return to “Development”