Mobile webapp for TT RSS: ttrss-mobile

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
mboinet
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Mobile webapp for TT RSS: ttrss-mobile

Postby mboinet » 27 Apr 2013, 12:39

I just released 1.0-beta. Please grab it from Github, test and report any problems: https://github.com/mboinet/ttrss-mobile ... aster/dist

Changelog:
  • It really should be faster than previous releases. It only refresh the lists when really needed.
  • labels were removed for now
  • code is modular and cleaner
  • On startup, it's a bit dirty and let you see the page unstyled
  • lot of bug fixes
  • read/unread list elements are marked with normal/bold font weigth (no more grouping)
  • API timeout set at 15s
  • better error reporting (when conf.js is not OK for example)
  • you can choose the articles sort order from the setting page

Read articles/feeds/categories appear with a normal font weight whereas unread are bold in the lists. I'm listening for ideas of what's the best way to indicate this (color change, little icon on the left, a blue dot, a darker background for the list element with unread).

smeerbartje
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby smeerbartje » 27 Apr 2013, 13:07

Great! Will post findings here...

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 27 Apr 2013, 21:51

Just installed this and tested it with a clear cache and logging in. Looks good and seems to work quite well. Thanks! The unbold/bold is good enough for me for unread. The only comment I have is it's a shame there doesn't appear to be any easy fix for the unstyled content when it loads as other than that it looks like a really professional app so that little thing lets it down a bit.

smeerbartje
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby smeerbartje » 27 Apr 2013, 22:07

Also tested for a day now. I have a shortcut on my home screen that points to the "fresh items". I have had several times that I explicitly needed to refresh the page (with the refresh button in the webapp), in order for the new feeds to appear. After loading the webapp, it gets stuck at "Loading..." and only a "menu / refresh" helped me...

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 27 Apr 2013, 22:12

Yeah, just been playing around with it some more since I wrote that post and noticed the same. Doesn't seem to happen very often, but I've seen it a couple of times now when browsing into a feed, just said Loading.... I pressed back and then clicked the feed again and it loaded normally.

smeerbartje
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby smeerbartje » 27 Apr 2013, 22:32

xtaz wrote:Yeah, just been playing around with it some more since I wrote that post and noticed the same. Doesn't seem to happen very often, but I've seen it a couple of times now when browsing into a feed, just said Loading.... I pressed back and then clicked the feed again and it loaded normally.

Exactly the behavior I tried to describe :). Will try to clear all iOS Safari caches now... hope this helps. Will keep you guys updated.

mboinet
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby mboinet » 27 Apr 2013, 22:37

I saw the same bug only on my phone on a slow connection. I'll try to fix that, this is annoying. I can't reproduce this when I want, this might take some time to find.

@xtaz: what unstyled content? The content of the article or the header? What would you like to see?

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 28 Apr 2013, 00:14

mboinet wrote:@xtaz: what unstyled content? The content of the article or the header? What would you like to see?

The unstyled content when you first load the page. You mentioned before it's caused by RequireJS because the jQueryMobile script is not loaded soon enough. But you suggested that would be difficult to fix. I don't know anything about RequireJS or jQueryMobile to suggest to you what might be possible, but ideally hiding that in some way would be what I would like to see so that it has the startup image loaded on top of it or something.

mkl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mkl » 28 Apr 2013, 13:13

mboinet wrote:I just released 1.0-beta. Please grab it from Github, test and report any problems:

I have now installed your new version.
I use TTRSS without login on an iPhone
I see the "unstyled page", and the the Categories. This page just displays "Loading...".
This happened already in my previous version. There, Menu->Refresh fixed the issue.
This is unfortunately not true any more. I am stuck.

Did I do something wrong?
I need to revert to my old version.

I tried ttrss-mobile on my desktop Firefox. I only get to the unstyled page.

Thanks for your work!
Michael

mboinet
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby mboinet » 28 Apr 2013, 13:28

xtaz wrote:
mboinet wrote:@xtaz: what unstyled content? The content of the article or the header? What would you like to see?

The unstyled content when you first load the page. You mentioned before it's caused by RequireJS because the jQueryMobile script is not loaded soon enough. But you suggested that would be difficult to fix. I don't know anything about RequireJS or jQueryMobile to suggest to you what might be possible, but ideally hiding that in some way would be what I would like to see so that it has the startup image loaded on top of it or something.

I thaught about it tonight and I have an idea. I'll keep you up to date.

mkl wrote:I see the "unstyled page", and the the Categories. This page just displays "Loading...".
This happened already in my previous version. There, Menu->Refresh fixed the issue.

You gave very little information on your installation, it will be hard to help you. Did you see anything on the console of Firefox? Is it working on your desktop browser?

mkl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mkl » 28 Apr 2013, 14:33

mboinet wrote:
mkl wrote:I see the "unstyled page", and the the Categories. This page just displays "Loading...".

You gave very little information on your installation, it will be hard to help you. Did you see anything on the console of Firefox? Is it working on your desktop browser?

I installed the package at http://SERVER/ttrss-mobile-1/
The configuration file:

Code: Select all

define({
  apiPath: "http://SERVER/ttrss/",
  webappPath: "http://SERVER/ttrss-mobile-1/"
});

On the Firefox console I get "SecurityError: The operation is insecure." from JQuery main.js
I tried with and without server paths in the configuration.

Thanks for helping
Michael

mboinet
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby mboinet » 28 Apr 2013, 18:19

It seems that your TTRSS install is not on the same domain name than your mobile version. As stated in the README, there is additional work to make this work: https://github.com/mboinet/ttrss-mobile/issues/36.

mboinet
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby mboinet » 28 Apr 2013, 19:06

mboinet wrote:I saw the same bug only on my phone on a slow connection. I'll try to fix that, this is annoying. I can't reproduce this when I want, this might take some time to find.

I can't test this but I think I found the reason. This should be OK as of this commit: https://github.com/mboinet/ttrss-mobile ... d40dd1c078

Beta2 is ready: https://github.com/mboinet/ttrss-mobile ... a2.tar.bz2

For the unstyled content at startup, I didn't find an easy fix. I'll try to use appcache to get a faster loading time. But I need to read more docs about Require.js...

smeerbartje
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby smeerbartje » 28 Apr 2013, 22:16

Dude, again: thanks!!!

mkl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mkl » 29 Apr 2013, 01:20

mboinet wrote:It seems that your TTRSS install is not on the same domain name than your mobile version. As stated in the README, there is additional work to make this work: https://github.com/mboinet/ttrss-mobile/issues/36.

Hallo again

I downloaded the beta 2.
It now works on my Firefox.
both TTRSS and you mobile package are on the same sarver, in sibling directories.
on my iPhone, I still only see the Categories page "Loading...".

Is there anything I can do to debug this?

Return to “Development”