GReader-Like Mobile Version

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
Tobi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: GReader-Like Mobile Version

Postby Tobi » 20 Mar 2013, 14:02

Sweet!
Can you also overhaul the login page? Right now I have to zoom in with my finger, to see the textboxes and labels. Have a look at ttrss-mobile's login page, which looks really nice!

mcleckner
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mcleckner » 20 Mar 2013, 15:34

j0nson

I've downloaded the latest version you posted in this thread (Tue Mar 19, 2013 19:01).
I put it in a subdirectory (tt-rss/mm). Modified permissions to be 664. Changed the owner:group to www-data:www-data.
I am able to get the login screen. After clicking login, I just get a blank screen.

I'm trying to use this via iPad (iOS 6.1.2) using Chrome Browser (25.0.1364.124).
I get the same behavior with Safari.

When I try to access tt-rss/mm from web browser on the computer, after clicking login I see an error message:
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/tt-rss/mm/index.php. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

Any tips?
I don't see any server side error messages ...

Thanks for your help and creating this.

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 20 Mar 2013, 16:06

Did you enable the External API?

mcleckner
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mcleckner » 20 Mar 2013, 16:26

Thanks j0nson. I had External API enabled.
I tracked down the problem. I found an error message in the apache2 error logs:
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() in /var/www/tt-rss/mm/index.php on line 434, referer: http://XXX.XXX.XXX/tt-rss/mm/

I didn't have curl installed. I resolved the problem by:
sudo apt-get install php5-curl

Now I got it to work! Hope this might help someone else ...

deadl0ck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby deadl0ck » 23 Mar 2013, 09:44

Yay, I was able to see the menu and star an item. I had to use my XP virtual machine with IE on it. I haven't been able to test my HP touchpad yet, I'm testing on a VM behind two routers. I don't know jack about CSS either.

It it possible to get the start page looking something like the link below, then we can choose what feeds to read.
http://www.google.com/reader/i/#sub-tree/0

anomalyuk
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby anomalyuk » 24 Mar 2013, 15:59

I can't get past the logon screen: I get this in the error log:

Code: Select all

[Sun Mar 24 11:42:25 2013] [error] [client 192.168.1.97] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: session_id in /home/app/Tiny-Tiny-RSS-1.7.4/m/index.php on line 43, referer: http://192.168.1.98/tt-rss/m/
[Sun Mar 24 11:42:26 2013] [error] [client 192.168.1.97] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/app/Tiny-Tiny-RSS-1.7.4/m/index.php:138) in /home/app/Tiny-Tiny-RSS-1.7.4/m/index.php on line 394, referer: http://192.168.1.98/tt-rss/m/
[Sun Mar 24 11:42:26 2013] [error] [client 192.168.1.97] PHP Warning:  Illegal string offset 'id' in /home/app/Tiny-Tiny-RSS-1.7.4/m/index.php on line 399, referer: http://192.168.1.98/tt-rss/m/

I'm running in a fresh VM, so I could easily be missing something -- any suggestions?

running with git commit f47ce676ea43aafc6332094912ac32e2c5f9870e

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 24 Mar 2013, 18:40

anomalyuk wrote:I can't get past the logon screen: I get this in the error log:

I've just made another commit that will fix one of those errors, but maybe not your main problem. It looks like you are having problems logging in. I've added a bit of error checking in the login process, which should kick you back to the login screen if you didn't get logged in correctly.

If retyping your password doesn't work, try uncommenting line 35: "//print_r ($data); //debugging logins" and try to log in again. You will see the response from ttrss at the top of the page, which may give you more info on what is happening.

Download here: https://github.com/j0nson/tt-rss_mobile/archive/master.zip

tomkirkham
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tomkirkham » 24 Mar 2013, 22:50

Good job, j0nson. Works fine for me.

kproth
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby kproth » 25 Mar 2013, 20:32

This is very nice. Thank you! I (like many others I guess) found TT-RSS as an alternative to Google reader and find a lot to like in TT-RSS.

One question - I am using your mobile "front-end" in part because I can't get tt-rss to work in IE8, but I can't run any browser other than IE8 at work... And this mobile version works just fine in IE. But, I'd like to be able to select one category of posts at a time to read, rather than just having them sorted by time. How much work might it be to allow selection of categories in your mobile version (perhaps as an additional drop-down?). In case I'm using the wrong term, by "categories" I mean the entities that the feeds are grouped into (that have folder icons) on the main TT-RSS UI.

As an alternative, is it possible to group the mobile view by category (or even feed), and then list by date?

Thanks,
~ Kevin

p.s. in the main tt-rss index.php code, there's a redirect to http://yoursite.com/tt-rss/mobile/, if it detects you are coming from a mobile browser. But I don't have the /mobile/ folder in my release, and was getting a 404 error when I tried to access the main page from a blackberry. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find a reference to how to obtain the "built-in" mobile version. Any chance someone on this thread could nudge me in the right direction?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 25 Mar 2013, 20:38

Built-in mobile got axed, that redirect was the only thing that got left by accident.

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 25 Mar 2013, 21:28

kproth wrote: I'd like to be able to select one category of posts at a time to read, rather than just having them sorted by time.

I've had a few people ask for this. I'd rather get a fire hose of news, organized by date of publish, so I haven't implemented it yet. Since I really just made this for my own use, I haven't bothered to add functions that I wont use. The source is there, and very simple, and I welcome anyone to contribute if they like. I'm not saying I wont add it myself, but it may be a little while.

Regarding the mobile redirect, you can put my version of the /mobile directory and the redirect will work for now. As fox said, his mobile version has been removed.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 30 Mar 2013, 00:57

j0nson wrote:New version: I've added a menu to select other types of feeds, and some viewing preferences.

I'm guessing no one is using this, since I haven't had any feedback... but I may as well keep sharing new versions.

j0nson, this was a great start. I am a switch over from Google Reader and I almost only use Reader in its mobile format (that and its iGoogle format). I took your version and used it as a launching point to build a version tailored specifically for the manner I use it (via my iPhone). I heavily leveraged your code and then used Google's styles, making it look and function very similar to Google Reader's iPhone version and added a number of missing features, like selecting categories.
Attachments
gmobile-ttrss.zip
Mobile version inspired by j0nson and Google Reader
(126.89 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

sancho1234
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby sancho1234 » 30 Mar 2013, 04:31

Hi j0nson!

I would like to try to your mobile modding. But it doesn't working for me.

I copied the index.php and the .png files to different locations but after the login form the page not loading I typed the username and password and after the index.php is dropped a server error message with mydomain/ttrss/mobile/index.php url. If I press the refresh button, after the login page loading again.

The drop-down menu is loading, I can see all menus in it. I copied these to /var/www/ttrss/ and /var/www/ttrss/mobile/ also, no changes.

The original mobile page is working.

What is the problem, what do you think?

ReineW
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ReineW » 30 Mar 2013, 17:37

J0nson, i just installed your GReader mobile and i love it! The look and feel is just like google reader, you did a really good job! This was the final thing i missed before i could do a transition to tt-rss, the other mobile clients i didn't like so much and i do alot of reading on my mobile so i want a quick gui. It's even quicker and snappier than Google :-D

Some minor wishes, i would like to be able to choose a subcategory so i can read just one feed and not the whole group/category, and the login screen could be a little nicer...

Update: I wrote this to the wrong person, it should be to "G2TT-mobile" not "J0nson". So sorry about that. :?
Last edited by ReineW on 31 Mar 2013, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 31 Mar 2013, 01:07

ReineW wrote:J0nson, i just installed your GReader mobile and i love it! The look and feel is just like google reader, you did a really good job! This was the final thing i missed before i could do a transition to tt-rss, the other mobile clients i didn't like so much and i do alot of reading on my mobile so i want a quick gui. It's even quicker and snappier than Google :-D

Some minor wishes, i would like to be able to choose a subcategory so i can read just one feed and not the whole group/category, and the login screen could be a little nicer...

ReineW, are you referring to j0nson's version or the one I just posted? Trying to determine who you are making the request of.

Return to “Development”