Building a Firefox Addon

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Building a Firefox Addon

Postby meinfuchs » 22 Mar 2013, 14:16

Hi,
I'm also one of those who recently moved from Google Reader to tt-rss. After getting everything up and running the only thing missing for me was a Firefox addon like the one in Chrome.

So I started looking into it and will be able to publish the first beta pretty soon. But before doing so I have one question: I grabbed the icons from the Chrome extension. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out it that extension is also under GPL or not. So I think I'd better ask here: Can I use the icons in my addon or not?

Best regards,
Michael

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Building a Firefox Addon

Postby fox » 22 Mar 2013, 14:30

The icon is GPL, just like everything else. There's no separate license for it.

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 22 Mar 2013, 22:49

So finally I've completed a first version for testing and attached here. Unzip the attachment to get the xpi for loading into firefox.

The listing on the addon page for firefox is wating for review. Once that's complete I'll publish the link.

Michael
Attachments
tiny-tiny-rss-watcher.zip
(220.33 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 24 Mar 2013, 21:06

As promised here's the link to the addon page: http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox ... s-watcher/
Even thought the review is still in progress you should be able to install it there.

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 24 Mar 2013, 21:21

Successfully Installed it from Mozilla. Works fine. Only glitches: It's hard to read the number, and it always opens a new tab, even if TT RSS is already open.

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 24 Mar 2013, 22:16

feader wrote:Only glitches: It's hard to read the number, and it always opens a new tab, even if TT RSS is already open.

Thanks for the feedback. I've slightly increased the size of the number and moved the position a bit up. Also I've added some code to activate any existing open tab instead of opening a new one. I've just uploaded a new version to the add-on page.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 24 Mar 2013, 23:09

You can also add a periodic updater thing there, like chrome extension does (supposedly, unless I broke it).

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 24 Mar 2013, 23:10

meinfuchs wrote:I've slightly increased the size of the number and moved the position a bit up. Also I've added some code to activate any existing open tab instead of opening a new one.

Although it's a bit better, the number is still hard to read – maybe it's just my age :wink: But that's not that important to me. On closer inspection: Is it possible that the red box' lower black boundary is missing?

Tab activation works great. Thank you!

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 25 Mar 2013, 00:26

fox wrote:You can also add a periodic updater thing there, like chrome extension does (supposedly, unless I broke it).

Hm, that's what it's supposed to do. But I guess the default interval of 15 minutes might be a bit long. To be honest, I set mine down to 1 minute :)

feader wrote:Although it's a bit better, the number is still hard to read – maybe it's just my age :wink: But that's not that important to me. On closer inspection: Is it possible that the red box' lower black boundary is missing?

Yes, I have struggled with that quite a bit. Finally I noticed that the add-on bar is even smaller than I had assumed. To get this right and have it look nice I had to reduce the size of the numbers again. Originally I wanted to have a larger button on the toolbar but I haven't figure out how to do that yet. But now I've added another setting to choose between displaying the number in the icon or next to it.

I probably should mention that this is my first add-on ever so I keep learning on the fly :D So I really apprecitate your feedback!

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 25 Mar 2013, 01:58

meinfuchs wrote:Yes, I have struggled with that quite a bit. Finally I noticed that the add-on bar is even smaller than I had assumed. To get this right and have it look nice I had to reduce the size of the numbers again. Originally I wanted to have a larger button on the toolbar but I haven't figure out how to do that yet. But now I've added another setting to choose between displaying the number in the icon or next to it.

I probably should mention that this is my first add-on ever so I keep learning on the fly :D So I really apprecitate your feedback!

Hey, you are doing fine :D But I have to admit that after the first installation, I moved the icon to the top, next to the address field because I could hardly recognize anything when it was at the bottom. But that is nitpicking. I can live with it the way it is, and when the number is beside the logo, I can recognize it effortlessly.

That said, IMO the Stack Alert add-on has a nicer interface; so making the TTRSS logo transparent (kinda put it in the background), and have the number prominently in the front would be nice. As a inspiration :P

Suricat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Suricat » 25 Mar 2013, 21:14

I don't get where I am supposed to enter my password ?

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 25 Mar 2013, 21:34

Suricat wrote:I don't get where I am supposed to enter my password ?

Nowhere. The number of unread feeds can be fetched using only the login name.

Argoson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Argoson » 25 Mar 2013, 22:06

Thank You !! Thank You !! Thank You !!

This is awesome !! I love your add-on. Exactly what I needed. Thanks so much for taking the initiative.

I would like to suggest a feature: a forced refresh by middle or right clicking the icon. I know that I can set a shorter refresh interval, but a "manual" refresh is very helpful.

Thanks again...

meinfuchs
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby meinfuchs » 26 Mar 2013, 23:46

Once more thanks for all the good feedback!

Ok, I've spent some more time on some further improvements over the last few days. This includes right-clicking on the icon for a forced manual refresh. Also I did some more polishing on the display to hopefully improve readabilty.

So now at least my own list of features required is implemented. For this reason I've decided to promote the latest version from alpha to beta :)

I've just uploaded the latest version to the add-on page where it's waiting for review - for the impatient here a direct link.

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 27 Mar 2013, 01:31

meinfuchs wrote:Ok, I've spent some more time on some further improvements over the last few days. This includes right-clicking on the icon for a forced manual refresh. Also I did some more polishing on the display to hopefully improve readabilty.

The number seems larger :wink: At closer inspection: Maybe white on strong red is not the best choice. I changed the colors in icon.css to

Code: Select all

span {
    color: black;
    background-color: #e79a9a;
}

which is better for me. If you'd put the number into another tag inside the span, one could use the opacity property on the background, see here (or maybe it is also possible right now, but not for me :oops:).

Nice work!

Return to “Development”