How to switch from Dojo to Bootstrap in TT-RSS

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
ilovettrss
Joy Division

How to switch from Dojo to Bootstrap in TT-RSS

Postby ilovettrss » 26 Mar 2013, 13:45

I love the way TT-RSS works. I'm using it since I heard of Google Reader shutting down. After using TT-RSS for 3 weeks I've never felt the RSS Reader gap that Google made in my heart.

The only thing that I dont like in TT-RSS is it's UI. It's not good. I'm not cursing TT-RSS, I'm cursing it's UI (because of Dojo Toolkit). BTW, there's another good framework created by Twitter - Bootstrap.

Now to the point. How do I remove Dojo Toolkit and switch to Twitter Bootstrap? I've tried removing all the JS related to Dojo, Dijit. But I get some weird errors when I reload TT-RSS. Just tell me what are the core files that TT-RSS needs to run; I'll do the rest.

jchristi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: How to switch from Dojo to Bootstrap in TT-RSS

Postby jchristi » 03 Apr 2013, 21:33

Twitter Bootstrap does have visually pleasing styles, however there is nothing preventing you from overriding the CSS theme and making the defaults look closer to Twitter Bootstrap. Ripping out Dojo purely for look and feel reasons is beyond overkill and would also remove all functionality, not just look and feel. TT-RSS makes it easy to override the CSS from within the preferences menu. Just open up Firebug or Chrome debugger and start hacking the CSS and copy the changes into the preferences page or create a new css file and put it in /themes. There are a couple forum posts of users who have already done this.

joseph-mx
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby joseph-mx » 04 Apr 2013, 05:34

if switching over helps to speed thing up by 200%, i will go for it. :D

jchristi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jchristi » 04 Apr 2013, 06:17

Removing dojo means removing the entire front end UI as well, since that has been coded using the dojo libraries. The UI is half of the application, so without that, all you'll have is basically a service API. So unless you prefer reading your feeds in raw JSON, then forget twitter bootstrap.

With regards to performance...as is usually the case with programming languages and frameworks, the majority of performance to be gained is not by using a different framework but by using the existing one properly with good design. Dojo has gotten a bad rep for being slow but only because the majority of developers do not know how to utilize it properly to its full potential. Furthermore, perceived slowness of an application does not immediately indict dojo or even javascript. There are several other performance bottlenecks such as high number of http requests, slow database queries, lack of caching or poor caching schemes, server load and capacity, lack of concurrency, etc.

So yeah, you are complaining about two totally different things (performance and look-n-feel), both of which are entirely solvable without migrating off dojo and one of which you can rectify yourself if you know any CSS. The other (performance) continues to improve as ttrss is an on-going project.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 04 Apr 2013, 08:49

You people should search topic starter's other posts before seriously answering.

Return to “Development”