Postby G2TT-mobile » 04 Aug 2013, 22:16

ttrssmailinator
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: G2TT - A Google inspired mobile interface

Postby ttrssmailinator » 05 Aug 2013, 11:57

Hi,
just a couple of comments on UI consistency:

1) Sometimes the word "Loading" after the spinning wheel is typed in black with the normal article title font (I think). Sometimes it is in light gray with a possibly slightly larger font

2) Since the July 4th commit ("much less reloading"), feeds/categories with 0 unread are shown even in the "Show unread" mode.

Issue 1 is obviously very minor, but 2 affects the reading somewhat (having to check feeds to find one with unread).

I noticed the "undefined" issue discussed above and thought that it was related to the "Show content preview in headlines list" in ttrss. However, that seems not to be the case...

Thanks for the good work!

erikbennett
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby erikbennett » 05 Aug 2013, 19:42

I've been using this as my main mobile interface since it first came out. Closest thing to the old g-reader mobile interface I've seen, so thank you very much for that.

I just recently added the most recent update to see if it took care of a few of my personal preferences. I see that it now steps backwards properly from nested folders (i.e. I have a top-level News folder, and 3 sub-feeds and before, once I'd clicked down to a specific feed, if I clicked the "Feeds" button, it would return me to the root level, not back to the News level.) Thanks for that. It was a bit jarring. :D One thing that the old g-reader did to differentiate was to have a "Back" button at the top that stepped backwards in the navigation, but still had a "Feeds" button at the bottom of the list that went back to the root level. I don't know if that's something you can do or not.

I had no issues with the "0" items feeds that the above poster commented on until this most recent update (8/3 commit that fixed the nested navigation). What happens is that sometimes, a feed will show 0 items after it's been marked as read. Expected behavior is that it disappears. (I have the settings set for show unread only.) Sometimes it will still show the number of items that were in the feed when it was marked as read. Only a logout and login will fix them.

Also, for me, the refresh button seems to not be working anymore. I click it and it stays pressed, and nothing reloads.

One last, separate thing. Is there anywhere that lists all of the config variables and all of their options? I can't seem to find anything.

(I'm on iOS mobile devices.)

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 06 Aug 2013, 08:26

I'm glad to hear so many people enjoying the interface!

The '0' sometimes showing up is a known side effect of the "less reloading" bit as the Categories count gets updated but I didn't code in a refresh of the list. Like wise I don't have anything to add Categories that were 0 but now have unread (When view unread only).

The refresh button when viewing a feed (list of articles) should reload the whole page (same as clicking the browser's reload). When in the Categories view it should make an API call to get new unread counters for all the feeds. Maybe this call is failing which would result in what you are seeing.

As for a list of all the configs and their options, I recently just thought of that and sounds like so did someone else! Added to the todo list.

ttrssmailinator
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ttrssmailinator » 06 Aug 2013, 10:14

ErikBennett, In my experience the reload sometimes stays pressed when I'm on a bad/slow network connection. Maybe it only becomes deactivated when it receives some data?

erikbennett
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby erikbennett » 06 Aug 2013, 19:41

ttrssmailinator - very true. I hadn't noticed it before.

G2TT-mobile - I can confirm, at least on my side, that the refresh button on the page does not work the same as the reload of the browser. If I click on the refresh button, the 0 categories do not go away. If I do a browser reload, they do go away.

Prior to this weekend update, I never saw the 0 categories. Now, they will not go away unless I reload the page or log out/login (essentially the same thing...)

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 06 Aug 2013, 19:53

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 06 Aug 2013, 20:15

Just pushed a commit that should address the '0' refresh issue.

erikbennett
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby erikbennett » 06 Aug 2013, 20:29

Looks like that did it. I don't get the 0 categories anymore, and though there's a bit of a lag when the refresh is done (which I am totally fine with), it totally works. Thanks for the quick update! You've made this heavy mobile user very, very happy. :D

ttrssmailinator
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ttrssmailinator » 06 Aug 2013, 23:42

FYI: I'm seing the same discrepancy between the reload button and browser reload as described by ErikBennet. (This is with the version before tonight's update)

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 08 Aug 2013, 00:36

ttrssmailinator
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ttrssmailinator » 08 Aug 2013, 10:25

Hi,
this is what happens when I press the reload button in:

* All view: Nothing; the empty categories continue to be displayed
* Category view: Same as all view
* Article list: Reloads the page and goes back to all view. This is probably where location.reload() happens

I think the behaviour in the All and Category views are what I would expect; i.e., having the app take me to a completely different place when pressing the reload button seems weird.

(Caveat: Still on version prior to the most recent update...)

erikbennett
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby erikbennett » 08 Aug 2013, 19:05

I'm on the newset version and here's how the reload button works for me... (I have the "oldest first" and "show unread" checkmarks applied)

*All view: button stays depressed (darker shade) until categories are refreshed. 0 categories no longer stay and are either auto-refreshed or cleared when the button is pushed.
*Category view: same as all view. 0 categories auto-refresh as well and disappear for me now.
*Article list: button stays depressed until articles are refreshed. New articles remain, read articles disappear

ttrssmailinator, when you say "version prior" are you talking g2tt or tt-rss itself? (I am on 1.9 for tt-rss and the most recent version of g2tt) You might want to make sure you're up-to-date on both if you're having issues or seeing weirdness.

zed
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby zed » 10 Aug 2013, 14:46

Since the "update read/unread state on Category count refresh" Pull request I have this loading screen issue where I am stuck at the Loading screen and cannot logout with the menu.
With the version before this never happens.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 11 Aug 2013, 00:11

Return to “Development”